Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Spartan warriors were as badass as it gets. Nobody would mock them. If anything, a Spartan warrior would be twice your size today, and could kick your ass, so I would think twice before mocking them. Mocking another culture's clothing is ignorant and immature.
    Well, perhaps not:
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

That's not how Spartans used to dress and that's a s***ty parody of a mediocre movie with no historical accuracy. So i hope you were joking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    That's not how Spartans used to dress and that's a s***ty parody of a mediocre movie with no historical accuracy. So i hope you were joking.
    Maybe it's time for you to switch to decaf this morning.
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

Spartan warriors were as badass as it gets. Nobody would mock them. If anything, a Spartan warrior would be twice your size today, and could kick your ass, so I would think twice before mocking them. Mocking another culture's clothing is ignorant and immature.
    For Spartan to be twice my size he would have to be 6'8 and around 400 pounds with me 6'4 200 pounds(yeah i need to hit gym some more).Would they kick my ass? maybe my hand to hand is decent and they trained with swords and close combat all their lifes but my years in marine and army means that i am trained with weapons that shoot bullets so,No i would not be exactly scared of Spartan even if he was 6'8 400 pounds.

I have not mocked any culture all i have said Darkseid is in mini skirt which for my culture that is what looks like because no "modern culture" males wear short tunics or togas which brings us too... In context to our culture it looks silly, i am not inconsistent in this matter outside shorts look silly,and costume tights on real life males look silly as well

It's not the same thing. Superman's red underwear was based on the circus attire in the 1930s, so it is dated. Jack Kirby's design wasn't based on any contemporary design at the time.
    Darkseid clothes is based on Ancient Greek and Romans( i am guessing) which is dated,So when every single person see it they see dated.Also Darkseid in not wearing Ancient Warrior gear and has the leather hoplite skirt or even Scottish Kilt which also gets a pass as recognized male clothing too,Darkseid is wearing something that does not scream manly or powerful today and looks shocking close to what female wear.

Season 2 of Blue Estate CTpitch's Avatar

great now in a couple of years Superman will be written out of character and become insane
    A Happy supporter of Indie comics and B-list heroes

Check out the Death to Comics Podcast...if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
    that's pretty cool.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
    The reason 1990's X-Men #1 sold 8 million copies was because Marvel literally sold that cover in 5 pieces as 5 separate issues with 5 separate covers. The Storm/Beast section was 1 cover; Colossus/Rogue was another; Cyclops/Wolverine was another; then Magneto; finally, the full gatefold cover with the entire image.

Did it sell 8 million copies? Yes---to retailers, who got stuck with literally hundreds of copies that they couldn't return. That book and its 5 different covers did sell all 5 versions to many fans who thought they'd be worth a fortune.

But as most of us know, high back issue prices are based on scarcity of a hotly-desired comic. Any book of which there are 8 million copies floating around is, for all intents and purposes, virtually worthless. It was overly-hyped, multiple cover crap like this "5-covers-from-1-image" gimmick that helped bring on the mid Nineties comics bust where sales plunged and hundreds of comic shops closed forever.

The issue *is* a classic and rightfully loved by fans. But the fact it sold 8 million copies is in reality a harsh reminder of the speculator-driven boom that once almost killed the direct market.
    I read about the speculation boom in Wikipedia, and I dont recall them mentioning this X-man title, but they did blame DC for their Batman/Superman death arcs...the article must have been written by a Marvelite who is trying to shift the blame. Seriously though, why would someone try to imitate a peice with such a bad history? Its like someone during this to Triumph of Will (well not exactly), how can Marvel fans even look themselves in the mirror after their company has done so much crap like this?

FF purist-snob

Quote Originally Posted by Reginleif View Post
    I read about the speculation boom in Wikipedia, and I dont recall them mentioning this X-man title, but they did blame DC for their Batman/Superman death arcs...the article must have been written by a Marvelite who is trying to shift the blame. Seriously though, why would someone try to imitate a peice with such a bad history? Its like someone during this to Triumph of Will (well not exactly), how can Marvel fans even look themselves in the mirror after their company has done so much crap like this?
    The same way DC fans wake up and deal with this. It's two years older than X-Men 1. It came in four different colors.

"Cant say it better than CaptCleghorn." - RolandJP

Quote Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
    The reason 1990's X-Men #1 sold 8 million copies was because Marvel literally sold that cover in 5 pieces as 5 separate issues with 5 separate covers. The Storm/Beast section was 1 cover; Colossus/Rogue was another; Cyclops/Wolverine was another; then Magneto; finally, the full gatefold cover with the entire image.

Did it sell 8 million copies? Yes---to retailers, who got stuck with literally hundreds of copies that they couldn't return. That book and its 5 different covers did sell all 5 versions to many fans who thought they'd be worth a fortune.

But as most of us know, high back issue prices are based on scarcity of a hotly-desired comic. Any book of which there are 8 million copies floating around is, for all intents and purposes, virtually worthless. It was overly-hyped, multiple cover crap like this "5-covers-from-1-image" gimmick that helped bring on the mid Nineties comics bust where sales plunged and hundreds of comic shops closed forever.

The issue *is* a classic and rightfully loved by fans. But the fact it sold 8 million copies is in reality a harsh reminder of the speculator-driven boom that once almost killed the direct market.
    X-Force 1 sold 4 million copies with no mutliple Covers. X-Men would have sold well regardless of the multiple covers. Maybe not 8 but maybe 6.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    X-Force 1 sold 4 million copies with no mutliple Covers. X-Men would have sold well regardless of the multiple covers. Maybe not 8 but maybe 6.
    Understood. The point was and is, it's the #1 bestseller of all time. And collectability of those multiple covers was a huge part of the reason why.

FF purist-snob

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    It may have had only one cover but there were trading cards enclosed in the polybags. That also was a driving force for buying multiple copies.

"Cant say it better than CaptCleghorn." - RolandJP

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    The same way DC fans wake up and deal with this. It's two years older than X-Men 1. It came in four different colors.

that is awful, but this is Batman, not DC