Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

I am loving the discussion, btw. I still think Robin is the result of Batman attempting to protect Dick, Jason and Tim. Damian is the first Robin to essentially needing a course change in his life. But in Dick and Jason's case, becoming Robin was a form of stop being a victim due to what had been taken from them and teaching them to protect themselves. Both have had reinterpretations of their origins over the years but they both were kids that had lost parents and seeking some type of retribution which most likely would have resulted in their deaths. Tim had different motivations but still was putting himself in danger. Like I said before, Batman knows that evil doesn't care about age so essentially anyone needs to be able to take care of themselves. But you have four boys, two of which share the same loss as Bruce, who are thrown in Batman's path. He either trains them or leave them to what may befall them. And we know three would probably finally be killed at some point.

I think that's what needs to be taken into account in a film. Its not like Batman sees Dick, Jason and Tim playing on the monkey bars at the playground and snatches them off to the Batcave. So, one thing that a film would have to make clear is that children die in Gotham. They are some of the easiest prey for some because they can't usually protect themselves. Into that mindset, you have Dick (who I think should remain the first Robin since I'm biased and stuff) cross paths with Batman forcing him to make a decision. Either he allows him to get himself killed or he trains him. Just like Bruce made the decision at a young age he would take the steps that eventually led him to become Batman he passes on his knowledge to train Robin to get justice for his self. I've never seen Batman forcing this on the boys or putting them in danger. To Batman, all citizens are in danger and its his job to make sure they are safe. Its why he goes out each night. Dick, Jason and Tim are in danger right now. And this is really the only way Bruce knows to help them and only because of the circumstances that put the two together.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Whenever I ask anyone I know who doesn't read comics what if we got Robin in the next Batman film, they'll always respond negatively.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    I'm wondering the same. It doesn't really help that his biggest exposure is in the Adam West TV show and the 90s movie. Even Christian Bale had long ago said that he'd love to play Batman and thought he was a complex, interesting character. Once he got the role, he said he would chain himself to his house if they brought a Robin to his movie.
    That isn't my experience at all, especially not within people who only have a passing interest in the comics. The only people I know who respond negatively to Robin are middle schoolers and high schoolers who think its funny to call him gay. Other wise the most common question I get asked when it comes to Batman is if Robin will be in the next movie.

As to exposure I would think cartoons like Batman:TAS, The Batman, Teen Titans and Young Justice have a much bigger influence of children than Adam West and the Shumacher Batman films.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    That isn't my experience at all, especially not within people who only have a passing interest in the comics. The only people I know who respond negatively to Robin are middle schoolers and high schoolers who think its funny to call him gay. Other wise the most common question I get asked when it comes to Batman is if Robin will be in the next movie.
    From my experience, it's nothing about the gay jokes. I know a lot of people who got really obsessed with Dark Knight and Heath Ledger's Joker, down to all the details and dialogue. They just think Robin is cheesy.

As to exposure I would think cartoons like Batman:TAS, The Batman, Teen Titans and Young Justice have a much bigger influence of children than Adam West and the Shumacher Batman films.
    But I'm not talking about children. Or just children. The Adam West show was a cultural and iconic landmark in pop culture, and hell so is the Shumacher film for how bad it is. I think the Teen Titans and Young Justice versions are great portrayals of Robin, though it's not the same as how Robin would be in the Bat-verse. And I dunno, I always thought the Dick Grayson in TAS was kind of a goober. Not nearly to the extent Burt Ward was, but still.
    Last edited by Mr. Holmes; 04-17-2012 at 08:03 PM.

The thing for me is, Robin is still there, and he's grown up going by the name Nightwing. As we've seen from Snyder's recent Batman stuff, Dick is still the best character for the supporting role there. Though I'd love to see more Catwoman in his life too, and more Batgirl cameos.

Pretty much, Tim is off doing the Titans thing and I don't feel like the Bat-verse is really missing much. Jason, well, I mean his Robin stint was brief and he's not really known for that role anymore. As for Damian, personally I'm not huge on him as Robin and think they went to the well once or twice too many times now.

I just don't think we need any Robins, especially when the original (Nightwing) is still big in Batman's life.
    DROKK IT!!