Forgive Friedrich's Debt Aaron Kashtan's Avatar

Default Internal contradiction in New Mutants vol. 1 #63

In this story, Illyana thinks Peter and the other X-Men are dead, which is logical since this issue was published right after Fall of the Mutants. However, Peter himself actually appears on page 2, and Illyana makes a comment about this which I don't understand at all: "So Peter wasn't dead! He was just... himself."

My guess is that this issue was based on an inventory story written long before the X-Men supposedly died in Uncanny X-Men #227, and that Louise Simonson just did a poor job of making it fit with current continuity. Can anyone confirm this?
    Aaron Kashtan | Formerly Sir Tim Drake
    Classic Comics Forum Moderator Emeritus
    COTM MC Emeritus
    Brittain Fellowship | UF Comics Studies | Examples of my work
    ---
    "Meanwhile, a puppy that fell down a storm drain on Proxima Centauri was rescued by a trained slith, which unfortunately then ate it. And now, sports."

BANNED

Isn't most of that issue a dream?

It's an inventory story by CC afaik.
    X-Poster of the Month: July 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Tim Drake View Post
    In this story, Illyana thinks Peter and the other X-Men are dead, which is logical since this issue was published right after Fall of the Mutants. However, Peter himself actually appears on page 2, and Illyana makes a comment about this which I don't understand at all: "So Peter wasn't dead! He was just... himself."

My guess is that this issue was based on an inventory story written long before the X-Men supposedly died in Uncanny X-Men #227, and that Louise Simonson just did a poor job of making it fit with current continuity. Can anyone confirm this?
    It's been a long time since I read that issue... But, this here link should help.
    Last edited by ZNOP; 04-15-2012 at 08:49 PM.
    Hear me X-men! No longer am I the woman you once knew! I am fire and life incarnate! Now and forever...

I AM PHOENIX!

I've been wondering about this since 1988.
    VIVA KUSASAN!!! Morrison On Magneto: I made him into a stupid old drug-addicted idiot. CC had done a lot of good work over the years to redeem the character. And I went in and sh*t on all of it.