Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    I do kind of feel there ought to be a clearer direction, more great plotlines. Put the kids back into the heat of things like Fear Itself or create some really engaging plotline. Take them off school grounds!

Maybe it's that a lot of their problems are solved now... Striker's not that big a jerk, Reptil is actually a hero, Finesse is maturing emotionally, Hazmat has stopped being so bratty. Pym and Tigra are a cute couple raising a kid together. They've achieved a lot of their development goals.

I know it makes a lot of sense, but reading about characters who are increasingly rational and healthy is just not that interesting unless there's a focus on the plotline or something.

I guess I just want more drama.
    Well I haven't been peaking at Gage's scripts or anything, but I suspect this is the calm before the storm, the kids have had some time down to decompress, get settled in, meet some new friends. And now its about to come crashing down as a war between super humans erupts on the west coast, the very coast they moved to, to get away from that sort of thing. Perhaps its been *too calm* for some but I suspect that is where we are going.

They moved to the West Coast compound to get way from the drama and violence and super human conflict on the East Coast. they now sit in what amounts to the closest base towards Utopia. There is definitely a storm coming.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    I do kind of feel there ought to be a clearer direction, more great plotlines. Put the kids back into the heat of things like Fear Itself or create some really engaging plotline. Take them off school grounds!

Maybe it's that a lot of their problems are solved now... Striker's not that big a jerk, Reptil is actually a hero, Finesse is maturing emotionally, Hazmat has stopped being so bratty. Pym and Tigra are a cute couple raising a kid together. They've achieved a lot of their development goals.

I know it makes a lot of sense, but reading about characters who are increasingly rational and healthy is just not that interesting unless there's a focus on the plotline or something.

I guess I just want more drama.
    Some good points, but I think the one that should happen is more focus on the title characters, i.e., stories that can't be done without them.
    Runaways and Future Reptil really put the main cast on the back burner somewhat. I want to see more issues like 22, where we see Finesse and Quicksilver get to a better place.

Couldn't disagree more with the thread starter.

This book is the only one I consistently purchase every month (well, besides SCALPED). So only Marvel book I consistently purchase every month.

Poor hacked Diamond Lil. Nevets F's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    I really have to disagree with how many people are saying this.
    Mettle and Hazmat are really great, and I think people are bias for Julie just because she's been around longer.
    I think Machine Teen, who appeared for all of one mini-series, is more interesting than the main cast of characters.
    Read about the greatest series ever, Alpha Flight...from the beginning!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nevets F View Post
    I think Machine Teen, who appeared for all of one mini-series, is more interesting than the main cast of characters.
    Ouch.
    Which is why I think more adventures set with the AA kids would be what they need.

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Mind View Post
    True; if anything, it's the background cast (overwhelmingly crowded) that should be trimmed down.. The original kids have the potential to be compelling (most of them, anyway) if given the proper spotlight..
    I think the reason I think the series is better is because I do not like the original cast that much. They are all far too arrogant for their own good.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Maybe age the cast to their mid 20s, books about teenagers have limited appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Home made ectoplasm View Post
    Maybe age the cast to their mid 20s, books about teenagers have limited appeal.
    That kind of ruins their whole point though. The Avengers, themselves, are supposed to be mid-20s and such.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Guardian View Post
    That kind of ruins their whole point though. The Avengers, themselves, are supposed to be mid-20s and such.
    Age them to their late 30s.

BANNED

perhaps if marvel assigns the book some higher-profile adult chaperones.

Quote Originally Posted by CHOX View Post
    Really?

Right now, I think it's one of the best books Marvel is putting out.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Ronin View Post
    This is how I feel too.

Quote Originally Posted by JBGoode View Post
    I concur. This is one of the only books that I feel I actually get my money's worth. It has an "old school" feel to it and actually takes longer than 3 minutes to read unlike most of Marvel's 3-4 dollar picture books.
    Agreed with all of the above.

Master of Narrative kelly_warrior_princess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hysang View Post
    Couldn't disagree more with the thread starter.

This book is the only one I consistently purchase every month (well, besides SCALPED). So only Marvel book I consistently purchase every month.
    Doesn't invalidate the original point: This book should indeed be better then it actually is. It was the last Marvel book on my list & i dropped it a couple of months ago. Sure its better then the other Marvel books, but thats not the same as saying its brilliant. Its become a bit of a villain of the week style book, where the characters have silly busy work to do, in this case pretending to get better at being heroes, while really they are just waiting for the next catastrophe. I hate to say this, but the old "New Academy X" stuff did it better, with actual training exercises & more personal freedom. Heck, Avengers; The Initiative did a better job of it, because there were levels of ongoing plot points.

This book has hit a bit of a stalling pattern & has been like that since Fear Itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Some good points, but I think the one that should happen is more focus on the title characters, i.e., stories that can't be done without them.
    Runaways and Future Reptil really put the main cast on the back burner somewhat. I want to see more issues like 22, where we see Finesse and Quicksilver get to a better place.
    Yes #22 was fantastic. I think now it's time to really have a hardcore plotline though, make the book more fantastic, more dramatic... go back to the crazy scientist supreme stuff, go back to rescuing Jan, doing missions, going OUT. Inject some drama into the cast. It seems like every situation resolves with everyone talking it out and acting like adults... first Striker, then FutureReptil, then Veil, then the Runaways. #22 worked so well because it was painful and humiliating alongside the character development. They get to a better place, but it's not a real happy ending like it was with Runaways... that was too cute to be believable.

Hopefully it's like The_Ronin said and this is the calm before the storm. But alongside that I do think the last few arcs have ended a bit too neat and friendly.

kelly_warrior_princess has a good point in that we don't see the students learning anymore. And while there are ongoing plotpoints they progress very one-at-a-time and things feel too episodic.
    Last edited by Wren; 04-16-2012 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Home made ectoplasm View Post
    Age them to their late 30s.
    Still, mid-20s wouldn't be appropriate for an academy setting.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST