Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

i think the book's been losing steam since the move to the west coast. they added all these new kids to the roster and i have no idea who any of them are. well, i know the new Power Man (Power Kid), but he doesn't appear at all... i think he's been in, like, three panels so far and had maybe 1 line. also, half the cast is suddenly gay... meh. very much on the verge of dropping this now.

Gage IS a good writer, i loved this book before all the recent changes. i don't know what happened. maybe he has too much on his plate now? he is, after all, currently writing X-Men Legacy and Angel & Faith in addition to AA.

Quote Originally Posted by langdonnicholas View Post
    To me Avengers Academy is one of the most frustrating books out there. I loved the first arc but since then I just don't know what has happened. Over all I would say the characters are interesting but it is just missing something. To Top it all off Gage writes sooooo much the book has become a chore to get through. I feel like I have liked Gage on other things but this isn't working out for me. I am going to try the AVX arc as I am all in for that event but we'll see after that.

Thoughts?
    I'm not saying the book is perfect, and obviously nothing is going to be to everybody's tastes, but for me, this is one of the best books there is.
    Not just best Avengers books, or best Marvel books.
    This is one of the best books currently published in comics.
    And rates pretty highly stacked against past comics too.

I really enjoy every issue.
    Some I enjoy more than others but I've yet to read an issue and be bored, or disappointed, or feel it was a waste of time or money.

Why do I like it, and think it's so good?
    1. Rock solid characterization.
    Different characters talk differently from one another, act differently from one another, display feelings, emotions and preferences consistent with past appearances and histories.
    This is true for the new characters and those like Pym or Quicksilver who have been around for 50 years.
    The core of the book is the personal development and interaction of various different people, their stories, be those redemptive, destructive, tragic or even a little prone to cliche.
    And it's that development, the moving forward of the characters as people which appeals.
    Gage does not simply repeat a few tics or figures of speech and pass it off as characterization, he has them say and do things which change them in a logical, consistent, and explicable way.
    And he's done this for every character in the book, student or faculty (though admittedly the new intake has not yet been developed to the same extent).
    Nobody is exactly where they were in issue #1.

2. Culture.
    By this I mean consistency and continuity with past stories and material.
    Things do not just happen "because", but develop out of existing situations and past events and stories.
    And the book has redeemed and made touching and enjoyable some truly horrible stories and decisions of other writers.
    The issue dealing with Tigra's beating by the Hood, the appearance of Jessica Jones in the unlikely role of counselor, Speedball being Speedball, still carrying the guilt of Stamford (where every other writer and character in every other book has just completely forgotten Stamford).
    The book builds on the culture of interwoven continuity and stories that is and should be the Marvel Universe.
    One of, if not THE core strength of Marvel in the 60's to the 80's was this culture, this shared continuity which did not demand the reader had read every single comic, but which rewarded those who had read any other comic with call-backs to and references to other stories and characters and events.
    In a Marvel "universe" which is fragmented, where it's impossible to place what happens when, or in what order, books like Academy show how it could and should be.
    A new reader wont need to know all of Whirlwind or Absorbing Man's past appearances to enjoy the books they are in, but a long term reader will enjoy and appreciate if their actions and dialogue reference those, directly or obliquely.

3. The art.
    Clearly art tends to be a matter of subjective taste.
    Beyond the aesthetic pleasure of individual panels I require the artist can tell a story, can draw characters who can be identified easily, doing things which can be identified easily, and expressing the emotions the script requires.
    All the AA artists have been consistently excellent in all those fields.
    They may not have been my "favourite" artists, but if a character is feeling something, it is apparent on the page.
    Often the subtle body language and facial expressions do not even require additional words to convey what is happening and being felt.
    And in a book about people, and their feelings and development, that is very important.
    They get the job done and tell a story with the writer, rather than give us pointless double page spreads or pages of "drawn to be sold at convention" pin-ups, or the same panel photocopied over and over.

So whilst I agree that in theory the book could be better, I have a hard time saying how, short of becoming bimonthly and 60 pages long.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Eivion View Post
    What long arcs? Most last 2-4 issues. The Fear Itself arc was the longest at 6, and honestly I thought that was the book at its highest. Future Reptil lasted 5 issues. During that time Jocasta, Striker, Pietro, & Finesse all had significant moments while introducing us to two new main cast members in White Tiger and Julie Power.
    When an arc starts to go over 3 issues, that's when it starts getting long. I'm just saying, we spent a lot of time with Future Reptil when we could have had more character development for the characters we have. Finesse's 22 issue was great, but I feel a lot is left to be desired. I mean, I keep forgetting White Tiger is there. We seen her backstory, but she just seems to talk to Reptil.
    I also dislike the whole "Chosen one" thing. We haven't seen Reptil for several issues and now they're going "he's the chosen one"? At least have him adjust more to the present again. I don't like "Chosen ones" a lot...well, besides Hope Summers.

Also, one rule I think it's good to go by is try to have each member of the team interact with the other members. I don't mean 1 or 2 others. Just have more of the opposite ends interact. I don't think White Tiger has a single line to any other character who isn't Reptil yet. Finesse seems to only interact with Reptil (within the team). I'm just saying, it's becoming cliques and less of a team.

It may seem like I'm really bashing the series, but I'm not. I really do love and will continually buy this book. I just think that these things here and there have been bugging me.

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Gage had not been winning me over for some time. Came back to check out the "Runaways" issues which were okay but nothing spectacular just done well enough to justify my purchase.
    QUOTED FOR TRUTH!!! I will be trying the next issue, just for the New X-men kids... but I am not holding my breadth for anything spectacular. I just find all the Academy kids soooooooooooooooo boring!!! Fingers cross Gage writes a great Dust.
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

I agree 100% with the thread starter.
    Mah Sheet: Moon Knight, Thor, Wolfsbane, Paladin, Doc Ock, Black Bolt, Cage, Hawkeye, Sunfire, Boomerang, Hellcat, Shang-Chi, Misty Knight, Bishop, Magik, Cypher

My biggest problem with this series have been the central cast of kids.

Mettle's o.k. but I don't care about the rest of them. I do like the new additions of Julie Power and the White Tiger.

I'm more intersted in the faculty and the background kids (who last I checked had bigger fanbases than the main cast).

I'd rather the stories focus on Spider Girl, Thunderstrike, Power Man and the background guys like Butterball.

Quote Originally Posted by CHOX View Post
    Really?

Right now, I think it's one of the best books Marvel is putting out.
    I concur. This is one of the only books that I feel I actually get my money's worth. It has an "old school" feel to it and actually takes longer than 3 minutes to read unlike most of Marvel's 3-4 dollar picture books.

Quote Originally Posted by langdonnicholas View Post
    To Top it all off Gage writes sooooo much the book has become a chore to get through.
    Thoughts?
    Can you explain why you feel this way? The reason I ask is because I'm the exact opposite. These are comic BOOKS and I feel that all we get these days for our 4 dollars is a bunch of pretty pictures with very little story. (i hate decompression) I truly miss the days when it took longer than five minutes to read a comic.
    Last edited by JBGoode; 04-16-2012 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBGoode View Post
    Can you explain why you feel this way? The reason I ask is because I'm the exact opposite. These are comic BOOKS and I feel that all we get these days for our 4 dollars is a bunch of pretty pictures with very little story. (i hate decompression) I truly miss the days when it took longer than five minutes to read a comic.
    I agree, the amount of writing in this book is great and I wish more comics did the same.

#28 is my final issue of getting this series. I'll skip the A vs X tie in issues, and may check it out after A vs X wraps up. Really enjoyed the first few arcs of this series but felt it lost some of it's magic after that. The inconsistent art is annoying also. Really like the new characters and the concept the book introduced, but I think 28 issues is a good run on the title.
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...ews&GCat=68251
    Original Art Collection

Don't pay cover price for comics, I don't. Use DCBservice.com

Poor hacked Diamond Lil. Nevets F's Avatar

The book is ok, but the main problem I have with it is that I don't think any of the original cast of kids are interesting. The background kids, and Lightspeed, are far and away more interesting characters, and deserve more spotlight.
    Read about the greatest series ever, Alpha Flight...from the beginning!

The book is still good, just not as good as the first 15 issues or so; it has suffered from a couple of not-so-great arcs (Time travel and the pointless Runaways appearance come to mind), and from boring art..
    The characterizations are great (X-23 being one of the few exceptions), so that's a plus.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nevets F View Post
    The book is ok, but the main problem I have with it is that I don't think any of the original cast of kids are interesting. The background kids, and Lightspeed, are far and away more interesting characters, and deserve more spotlight.
    I really have to disagree with how many people are saying this.
    Mettle and Hazmat are really great, and I think people are bias for Julie just because she's been around longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    I really have to disagree with how many people are saying this.
    Mettle and Hazmat are really great, and I think people are bias for Julie just because she's been around longer.
    True; if anything, it's the background cast (overwhelmingly crowded) that should be trimmed down.. The original kids have the potential to be compelling (most of them, anyway) if given the proper spotlight..

I do kind of feel there ought to be a clearer direction, more great plotlines. Put the kids back into the heat of things like Fear Itself or create some really engaging plotline. Take them off school grounds!

Maybe it's that a lot of their problems are solved now... Striker's not that big a jerk, Reptil is actually a hero, Finesse is maturing emotionally, Hazmat has stopped being so bratty. Pym and Tigra are a cute couple raising a kid together. They've achieved a lot of their development goals.

I know it makes a lot of sense, but reading about characters who are increasingly rational and healthy is just not that interesting unless there's a focus on the plotline or something.

I guess I just want more drama.