Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
    BANNED

This is totally going to go south for Gambit fans. I look forward to a bunch of agonized threads in which I can't see any of the posts.

Quote Originally Posted by darknessatnoon View Post
    This is totally going to go south for Gambit fans. I look forward to a bunch of agonized threads in which I can't see any of the posts.
    Your posts should come with a sad trombone note a la Debbie Downer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemmy View Post
    Maybe not right away though. Imagine waking up to realizing that a guy you specifically hate and would never want touching you, took advantage while you were brainwashed. It might take a while to get over that.
    that's just an average day for most x men

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sonic View Post
    Your posts should come with a sad trombone note a la Debbie Downer.
    I just know from my Gambit fans, Dr. Sonic.

sux4u
    X-Poster of the Month: July 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

It is true that I'm a Gambit fan against my better judgment. He's way cheesy and likely does indeed have an eightball tattoo somewhere, but I still like him for some reason and hope this new book is a success. Yet, with the market being what it is, I realize the likelihood of it may be slim. We'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by Gemmy View Post
    Maybe not right away though. Imagine waking up to realizing that a guy you specifically hate and would never want touching you, took advantage while you were brainwashed. It might take a while to get over that.
    who are you referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by Newsarama
    And with Gambit — a big part of that is a sexiness that Clay’s art delivers in spades! Which is good, because I’ve honestly lost count of how many women I know who get uniquely excited when you mention Gambit. I think a lot of young girls felt something for him in the 90s cartoon akin to the strange feelings I had for Chetara on Thundercats as a kid...
    Oh Asmus, you get us so well !
    Hey, Spock isn' s'posed to'make fun of Kirk in front of de aliens.

I have yet to read a Gambit solo series that really caught my attention, even though he's one of my favorite X-Men. This may be the one that fixes that.

Mann's work looks beautiful, even if Remy's ankle looks broken, and I've heard good things about Asmus. Liking the premise and the absence of Remy's annoying face-cowl. Those were cool in the 90s and still work for some characters, but not him so much anymore.
    'Yama

My Top 25 X-Men
    (most microes by Blanchett, who's awesome. Go see her stuff!)

Marvel hasn't given us much reason to be delighted with them. The last few years have been one big bait-and-switch, as Marvel has promised to do more with Gambit only to renege on that every time. If I had money for every time they promised they'd address Deathbit or the stupid love triangle, I would not be a poor grad student. I don't think disappointment is an unusual reaction to being played like that. The Jean fans are reacting the same way to the constant Phoenix teases . . . and for good reason!

On a more positive note, this series looks promising. It's written and drawn by two people who seem to like Gambit and be excited about working on the book. If it lives up to that promise, I think we'll all be very happy.

Words from the future. Scarlet Silence's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by halla View Post
    Marvel hasn't given us much reason to be delighted with them. The last few years have been one big bait-and-switch, as Marvel has promised to do more with Gambit only to renege on that every time. If I had money for every time they promised they'd address Deathbit or the stupid love triangle, I would not be a poor grad student. I don't think disappointment is an unusual reaction to being played like that. The Jean fans are reacting the same way to the constant Phoenix teases . . . and for good reason!
    I do not understand. Can you please explain this good reason?

I also feel it is better to allow a character, like Gambit in this example, have their time for their story to breathe, rather than be lost amidst the events that have lead to this summer, as well has have the proper resources distributed to the book.

How can such an ideal creative team be on the most unideal subject? I do hope they can flashforward Gambit into 2012, but I'm skeptical.
    wood / bkv / coipel / pichelli / staples / del mundo
    flagship x-men // avengers undercover // saga // private eye

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Silence View Post
    I do not understand. Can you please explain this good reason?

I also feel it is better to allow a character, like Gambit in this example, have their time for their story to breathe, rather than be lost amidst the events that have lead to this summer, as well has have the proper resources distributed to the book.
    Jean Grey hasn't been in the X-Books for ten years now, and Marvel has kept stringing along her fans by suggesting that major events would bring her back to them. They've kept teasing that Hope has something to do with her return, which has kept people buying their books. It's kind of a tease.

As to giving each character time to allow their story to breathe rather than jamming it into a crossover, I agree. The problem is that Gambit hasn't been given that room for years now, despite there being that opportunity in books like Legacy. Would it really have hurt to shift the focus off Rogue for like three issues, and resolve Deathbit properly as Carey kept saying he would?

Quote Originally Posted by Faded View Post
    How can such an ideal creative team be on the most unideal subject? I do hope they can flashforward Gambit into 2012, but I'm skeptical.
    Gambit's an archetype, though. He's the morally ambiguous character who ends up doing the right thing despite himself. That sort of character is timeless, and has been around since the Odyssey and Iliad without seemingly growing stale.
    Last edited by halla; 04-16-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by halla View Post
    They've kept teasing that Hope has something to do with her return, which has kept people buying their books. It's kind of a tease.
    Marvel is a company trying to make money. Why would they not try to get people to buy their books?
    It's not their fault that people keep falling for it even though all Jean fans ever post is how "Marvel is teasing them".

Quote Originally Posted by fortyseven View Post
    Marvel is a company trying to make money. Why would they not try to get people to buy their books?
    It's not their fault that people keep falling for it even though all Jean fans ever post is how "Marvel is teasing them".
    People care about their favourite characters, and so they're prepared to take the chance, even though they've been fooled before and suspect they might be fooled again. I've done it with Gambit.

It *is* Marvel's fault that they keep taking advantage of that good will, thinking that it's an inexhaustible resource and that they can keep on exploiting it with little reward. At some point, people will just walk away. I know Gambit fans - members of that precious, elusive female demographic too - who have walked away from the X-Books in disgust, where once they would have recommended them to their friends. Hell, I'd been reading since I was a young teenager, and I left the fandom for years because I got tired of Marvel's tactics. I only came back to X-Men because the DCU relaunch got me back into comics and I decided to see what was happening in the Marvel universe.