Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

I'm going to give this a shot because I like Aja and I used to really like Fraction, and still really like his Casanova series.

But pretty much everything about this tells me that I won't be on it past the first issue. Just not my 'type' of story; Fraction will have to give us something exceptional for me to stick around, something as good as the Longbow Hunters or Quiver or Hero's Quest (Green Arrow storylines).
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I guess the classic outfit is dead for life.. ah well..

So is this going to be Marvel's version of Longbow Hunters? Hmm.. I guess kate bishop is Dinah?
    I assume the real costume will come back someday. We've suffered through the Robin Hood period, the Goliath period, and the godawful man suit period and the classic costume's come back every time. I'm sure people thought we wouldn't get X-costumes back, but we did eventually. At some point, this generation of Marvel creators will move on and we'll get people who like classic Hawkeye, and the classic Avengers -- who don't think they all need to be grim 'n' gritty streel-level killers, and they'll come in and try to fix all the damage of the last decade. Heck, it's already started a little bit with people remembering Hawkeye is not in fact a callous killer or a moronic ninja.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrist View Post
    How will this book be in line with Winter Soldier? They don't sound that similar, really, in terms of genre/tone. And to the contrary, from the interviews it seems like Spider-woman will be playing a very minimal role, and the central focus will just be on Clint and Kate, with few guest stars to give the book its own feel. I also don't think that hooking up with Jessica Drew gives Clint a Peter Parker esque appeal at all, since Peter doesn't routinely have costumed love interests outside of Black Cat, and Clint was kind of falling in love with bad girls before she was introduced.
    I'll admit that Peter doesn't have any costumed love interests outside of Black Cat. This is why I felt that there are other costumed women who are interested in Peter besides Felicia. But they never got the chance to reveal themselves because he was married. Thus, I believe that Carol Danvers, Silver Sable, Jennifer Walters, and Jessica Drew should be on Spidey's list of costumed women who are interested in him. For Spider-Man there should be at least 5-6 potential heroines who have a strong attraction towards him aside from The Black Cat. Some diversity among the costumed love interests outside of Black Cat would make things interesting. Especially for a writer who might not like The Black Cat; but would choose either Carol Danvers, Silver Sable, Jennifer Walters, or Jessica Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I guess the classic outfit is dead for life.. ah well..

So is this going to be Marvel's version of Longbow Hunters? Hmm.. I guess kate bishop is Dinah?
    I've seen a few people mention Longbow Hunters, but I don't think the connection is that strong; Longbow Hunters was all about darkening Ollie to a significant degree, making him a hunter, making him a killer. It was very much a post-DKR take on the character. He's conflicted, he's dark, he's got serious violent urges. He's not a 'good man'.
    Last edited by Desaad; 04-15-2012 at 11:13 PM.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SomeBodyAtCBR View Post
    Exactly. And besides...what is classic Hawkeye? I think aside from his longish stint in Solo Avengers all other attempts have been him as "man on the streets" (barring McCann's job). I just think a lot of people are sour because Hawkeye (and Fraction) have gotten so big so fast. While Fear Itself was ass, no one ever complained about Fraction before it. Same for Hawkeye, who's only really exposed in Avengers titles....which makes perfect sense considering he's the cement of the Avengers. He's the ideal embodiment of what an Avenger is, and with this movie it's great that they're giving him a bit of over-exposure to finally after ~60 years get his star risen. A lot of people just like to harp on the mainstream.
    Classic Hawkeye is super-hero Hawkeye. I don't think we've ever seen it in an ongoing, even in Avengers Spotlight.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

Quote Originally Posted by JTRobin View Post
    On one hand the Hawkeye push is obvious considering the Avengers movie is right aound the corner. On the other hand, yes there is an obvious comparison to Grell and his take on Green Arrow, but that character hasn't existed since the new 52 (and some might argue before then), so there is a niche that can be filled.
    How so, if all anyone will do is compare it to Grell's Green Arrow.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

Agent of SHIELD/SWORD marvelprince's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    I've seen a few people mention Longbow Hunters, but I don't think the connection is that strong; Longbow Hunters was all about darkening Ollie to a significant degree, making him a hunter, making him a killer. It was very much a post-DKR take on the character. He's conflicted, he's dark, he's got serious violent urges. He's not a 'good man'.
    Thank you. The connection between the the two are superficial at best. Just their attitudes at the outset of each story seems vastly different. I doubt at any point in Clint's series that we'll see him kill for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverZeal View Post
    Rubbish....y r dey shoving Hawkeye is every1's faces & shoving him down our throats when der r much betta xcters much mo deserving o half d attention Hawkeye is getting.

PASS! & FAIL!
    How the hell did you manage to type this? Did it take you an absurd amount of time to avoid using proper spelling and/or grammar for visual funsies?

Anyhow....I"m in for the art and for the duo-ship of the Hawkeyes.
    cpjudd.com

"Um, blah, blah, blah. And, Girl Power. Feminism, d'you know what I mean?"

Releasing Johnny's torch Ravin' Ray's Avatar
    Where the diwatas and the Triumph Division call home

Speaking of She-Hulk, I hope she guests in this book. The relationship between Jen and Clint makes for good reading IMO; plus she can relate to him about what it is like to mentor a namesake (Lyra in her case).
    Johnny Storm was dead; who is this resurrected Johnny Storm?
    "Here, hold my Annihilus…" Johnny Storm, Fantastic Four #601

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I am sure that the new book will be in line with The Winter Soldier. Thus this means that we'll probably see a lot if Clint and Jessica in the book. At least that the impression that I get with Bendis plans for making Hawkeye popular. This might be why they got rid of Mockingbird and replace Spider-Woman as his love interest in order to make him as appealing as Spider-Man.
    I'm not disagreeing with you, but my question is: Why did they even bother to bring back Mockingbird at all? They could've left that piece out during Secret Invasion and we would still have what we have today. It's like they thought, "We need to bring a dead person back in this - hey, how about Mockingbird!?" "yeah, that'd be cool" and then months later "okay, now what?"
    "No job is worth your integrity" - Herm Edwards

At least his old costume said "I don't give a s*** how silly I look, I'm a damn hero and I can still kick your a**." Now it seems like he's changed to make himself look cooler. If they're going for practical why not just go all out and have him wear regular military gear? What kind of d-bag walks around in sunglasses all day? There's no symbolic value; it actually seems MORE superficial than the old costume.
    Favorites: Animal Man, Batman, Batman Beyond unlimited Frankenstein: Agent of Shade, Demon Knights American Vampire, Sweet Tooth, Daredevil, Amazing Spider-Man, Secret Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with you, but my question is: Why did they even bother to bring back Mockingbird at all? They could've left that piece out during Secret Invasion and we would still have what we have today. It's like they thought, "We need to bring a dead person back in this - hey, how about Mockingbird!?" "yeah, that'd be cool" and then months later "okay, now what?"
    I'd say that's the Bendis effect. We know McCann, who's a big classic Hawkeye fan, argued to have Mock come back. And she did. Then Bendis almost immediately decides that, nope, gotta have my favorite characters be front and center. We'll just push Mockingbird off to the side (oooh, and give her cool strength and toughness powers because there're no other characters with those abilities in all of comicdom!) and stick Jessica Drew in as Hawkeye's lover instead. Everyone must love Jessica Drew as much as I do, after all, that's why she was so prevalent for two decades before I took over. Heck, she's so great that I made a knockoff and had her shackup with my other favorite character!

Quote Originally Posted by CTpitch View Post
    If McCann was on this it I would pray that it would sell
    His Hawkeye is the definitive Hawkeye and for him to get a chance to take on more characterization and explore more Hawkeye villains is a miss bag on Marvel's part
    I didn't care for his work. Too much hawkeye/mockingbird drama IMO. pretty excited
    Ready for the return of the one and only Spider-Man!!

Agent of SHIELD/SWORD marvelprince's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaleb2470 View Post
    At least his old costume said "I don't give a s*** how silly I look, I'm a damn hero and I can still kick your a**." Now it seems like he's changed to make himself look cooler. If they're going for practical why not just go all out and have him wear regular military gear? What kind of d-bag walks around in sunglasses all day? There's no symbolic value; it actually seems MORE superficial than the old costume.
    An archer who's keeping glare out of his eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    I think had the H&M book been a success she'd be getting more face time elsewhere. It also doesn't help that the teams Bendis has for the Avengers books are probably too unwieldy for him to write effectively since between the the two sits a pretty good chunk of Marvel's top male lead heroes. All female characterization is met by one of the Jessicas.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.