Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default C2E2: Fraction Hits the Streets with "Hawkeye"

In August, a new hunter stalks the concrete jungles of NYC armed only with a bow & arrow. CBR News spoke with Matt Fraction about his new ongoing "Hawkeye" series with artist David Aja.

Full article here.

Season 2 of Blue Estate CTpitch's Avatar

really dislike the costume
    would have awesome to see aja do the old hawkeye costume justice
    A Happy supporter of Indie comics and B-list heroes

Check out the Death to Comics Podcast...if you dare

BANNED

Hawkeye will be out of costume as much as he's in costume. This isn't a book about being a super hero. It's about being a good guy and, hopefully, a good man.

Didn't they already does this and it was a total fail. So they have pretty much taken anything Hawkeye about the character and got rid of it to try and farm off some self indulgent take on an urban robin hood to the fans. Lol, god no wonder Alonso liked this, it sounds dull as. It's a shame Mccans version didn't sell because that was a Hawkeye book. I'll be amazed if this gets past 12 issues

Season 2 of Blue Estate CTpitch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrewulf View Post
    Hawkeye will be out of costume as much as he's in costume. This isn't a book about being a super hero. It's about being a good guy and, hopefully, a good man.

Didn't they already does this and it was a total fail. So they have pretty much taken anything Hawkeye about the character and got rid of it to try and farm off some self indulgent take on an urban robin hood to the fans. Lol, god no wonder Alonso liked this, it sounds dull as. It's a shame Mccann's version didn't sell because that was a Hawkeye book. I'll be amazed if this gets past 12 issues
    If McCann was on this it I would pray that it would sell
    His Hawkeye is the definitive Hawkeye and for him to get a chance to take on more characterization and explore more Hawkeye villains is a miss bag on Marvel's part
    A Happy supporter of Indie comics and B-list heroes

Check out the Death to Comics Podcast...if you dare

This premise sounds a little like Grell's Green Arrow to me.

I like the idea of doing short "done in ones" or two parters.

Daredevil is doing that also.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    In August, a new hunter stalks the concrete jungles of NYC armed only with a bow & arrow. CBR News spoke with Matt Fraction about his new ongoing "Hawkeye" series with artist David Aja.

Full article here.
    Rubbish....y r dey shoving Hawkeye is every1's faces & shoving him down our throats when der r much betta xcters much mo deserving o half d attention Hawkeye is getting.

PASS! & FAIL!

It sounds from the premise that this will be a good comic. Plus the creative team is a great one so i hope it is a win.

Sounds great to me. I love the pitch. I would never pick up a Hawkeye comic before but the pitch and the covers... I'm sold. I can't believe Marvel sold me on a Hawkeye comic but I'm there for issue 1 anyway.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt IF this book is $2.99.

It sounds like Fraction and Aja have a great working relationship, so hopefully Aja will bring the best out of Fraction.

Another plus is the episodic nature. The length of some of the opening plots for the new 52 pushed me out of a few of the books I was curious about, because I figured it'd read better in trade.

Another plus is that he's trying to do something a bit different with Kate as an apprentice, although she's the least interesting of the YA crew in my opinion.

All in all, a lot of this sounds very right. Hopefully the separate ingredients come together for an entertaining whole.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Didn't they already does this and it was a total fail. So they have pretty much taken anything Hawkeye about the character and got rid of it to try and farm off some self indulgent take on an urban robin hood to the fans. Lol, god no wonder Alonso liked this, it sounds dull as. It's a shame Mccans version didn't sell because that was a Hawkeye book. I'll be amazed if this gets past 12 issues
    But THAT'S the problem.

McCann did a classical take on Hawkeye and Mockingbird and it didn't sell.

So if Marvel is gonna try to push the character at all that can't cater to the purists.

Cuz they tried that and failed.

So they have to try another route.

You ask me, Hawkeye will never sell as a solo character. If McCann couldn't make it work nobody can.

But is isn't Hawkeye as much as it is Mike Grell's Green Arrow teamed up with Young Justice's Artemis.

I think this sounds great. Dropping Lalo Schifrin's name doesn't hurt either.
    EAT GLASS, LAWMAN!

They had to try something different. They went with the classic interpretation of the character spinning out of a major event. It bombed. Hawkeye fans didn't turn out even though the book was solid fun with very good art and at $2.99. You can't keep doing the same thing when it fails and expect different results.

Of course this also applies to the limited character choices Marvel uses. Some heroes just aren't going to "happen" as solo characters because there's jut not enough there to work with. They keep going on about over 5000 characters and properties. I'd say it's about time they actually explored the vault. What I wouldn't give for a Project Pegasus book starring Monica Rambeau, Blue Shield, Tom Foster and the occasional Hank Pym cameo.
    Last edited by BrotherUnitNo_4; 04-15-2012 at 06:46 AM.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    You ask me, Hawkeye will never sell as a solo character. If McCann couldn't make it work nobody can.
    McCann didn't have Aja providing the art.
    EAT GLASS, LAWMAN!

The Superior SpideyClone SpideyClone's Avatar

On one hand the Hawkeye push is obvious considering the Avengers movie is right aound the corner. On the other hand, yes there is an obvious comparison to Grell and his take on Green Arrow, but that character hasn't existed since the new 52 (and some might argue before then), so there is a niche that can be filled. My feeling is though, that as soon as Fraction or Aja leave the book, it will stop selling. So lets just call it an extended miniseries.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    But THAT'S the problem.

McCann did a classical take on Hawkeye and Mockingbird and it didn't sell.

So if Marvel is gonna try to push the character at all that can't cater to the purists.

Cuz they tried that and failed.

So they have to try another route.

But is isn't Hawkeye as much as it is Mike Grell's Green Arrow teamed up with Young Justice's Artemis.
    I don't know about other posters, but I am very.... very bored with "superhero" comics. There needs to be an interesting take on it. Superheroes doing good? I can get that anywhere, and frankly, I don't want it. I'm not 15. I need a character twist, something grittier, wittier, more cunning than that. That's what intrigues me about Fraction's pitch.