Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Some books I always wanted that have already been mentioned...

Killer Croc / Jason Todd introduction
    agree with toni this is an excellent little arc, very representative of a cool period in Batman comics and Crocs never been in a better story. Also a great villain, the Squid

Batman 400
    Classic story! Culmination of the Pre-Crisis Batman mythos, the original prison break, a hundred Batman villains, also probably the best cover in Batman comics ever

Neal Adams Illustrated in original condition
    The new prints are just abominable. I wonder how much clout Adams has left with DC after Odyssey. I don't see why it should be so hard to convince Adams or anyone at DC to do this, just repackage and market as a celebration of the original era and production style - are they allergic to money?

Nocturna / Nightslayer / Jason Todd saga
    This would probably need like three volumes, and never sell, but hey

Peter Milligan run
    Already made a thread about this!

Moench Jones run
    Cherry pick the best issues, featuring Killer Croc, Penguin, Deadman, Scarecrow, Freeze, Ragman. An excellent look back here

Azrael 10-13
    Featuring the Crusader and Guillem March, collect it with the Frazer Irving illustrated origin mini and put "As seen in Arkham City" on the cover.
    Last edited by nepenthes; 04-24-2012 at 10:34 PM.

Fortuna Favet Fortibus The Lucky One's Avatar

I'll throw in a vote for Chuck Dixon's Robin run. Very little of it has been collected, and that was some really good Peter Parker-esque, coming-of-age superhero stuff.

-D
    "I love the nostalgic, myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past."
    ~Walt Disney

The Impulsive Buy
    Mutant Reviewers From Hell

A Jason Todd Omnibus of his Post-Crisis Robin career. From stealing the tires until his death. Obviously, they could cut it down some or release a couple volumes...but let's see something. I want to see him becoming Robin, meeting Nightwing for the first time (LOVE this issue), dropping the guy from the building. All of it.

Kinda sad that he's only appeared in The Cult and DitF Batman collections (obviously not counting things like Legends, Alan Moore DCU, MOS, etc. just talking strict Batman here).

I'd also like to see a collection of the mid-90's "The Batman Chronicles". These were pretty cool, from the little I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by jgiannantoni05 View Post
    I do love this Strange Apps sequel. But...would all these issues have to be collected together (that's probably not gonna happen)? I wonder how few issues it can be reasonably chopped down.
    I haven't gone back and read it in a while so I'm not sure how well it would divide up. I would guess it would need to be a Showcase volume if the Showcase volumes ever make it that far. It would be at least 3 trades, and DC won't even bother to keep Strange Apparitions in print so I'm not exactly going to get my hopes up.

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Some books I always wanted that have already been mentioned...
    Killer Croc / Jason Todd introduction
    agree with toni this is an excellent little arc, very representative of a cool period in Batman comics and Crocs never been in a better story. Also a great villain, the Squid
    I haven't picked up the Don Newton or Gene Colan collections--but some of this might be in those books (likewise with Nocturna and Hugo Strange?)--but the problem with the artist centred books is that they don't collect the whole story. And on that note...

Neal Adams Illustrated in original condition
    The new prints are just abominable. I wonder how much clout Adams has left with DC after Odyssey. I don't see why it should be so hard to convince Adams or anyone at DC to do this, just repackage and market as a celebration of the original era and production style - are they allergic to money?
    I'd really like to see all of the early 70s stories collected. Maybe that would be a way to do the Adams material right--by reprinting it in original form in context with the other stories by the likes of Irv Novick and Bob Brown. This is the collection I want (those Adams revamps are abominable).

Moench Jones run
    Cherry pick the best issues, featuring Killer Croc, Penguin, Deadman, Scarecrow, Freeze, Ragman.
    I'm surprised all of this run hasn't been collected.

In addition, it would be nice to have all of the Archie Goodwin edited Detective stories in one collection. There's no grand theme uniting all those stories, but there's a great mix of writers and artists. And following on that run was the Bat-Murderer story which has never been collected in a proper book (although it was reprinted in a digest comic).

The Moench/Jones run is what always springs to mind. One of my favorite comics runs of the '90s.

I listened to a Sidebar podcast a few years ago, in which they interviewed Jones, and it seems that the lack of a collected edition is due to contract issues. For some sort of personal, artistic reason, Jones wanted a contract in which the single issues of his run would NOT be collected. For whatever it matters, he noted that collected editions weren't common at the time anyway. Personally, I can't really even understand where he was coming from on that, but I guess he just liked the idea of doing it all as single issues only, possibly to decrease the likelihood that he'd have to draw (un-reprintable) crossover issues (which, aside from The Troika, he didn't; they got guest artists to do those issues that tied into Legacy, Contagion, etc).

Jones didn't seem adamant about the series never being reprinted now, but I would imagine that it would take some legal maneuvering, new contracts, etc. Year in and year out, I continue to be surprised that they just don't get this done already. Even though I have every single issue, I'd still gladly pay a hefty price for it again in a deluxe format.

Quote Originally Posted by Simonc1138 View Post
    I grew up with the Doug Moench/Kelly Jones run from the mid 90s, and that was pretty distinguished for mixing supernatural horror into Batman's world with guest appearances from Swamp Thing, Deadman, The Spectre, Ragman, and Etrigan, and more. If you can stand having every couple of issues be a crossover (to the point that they started soliciting stories as '1 of 1' on the cover to let readers know when a crossover wasn't happening), it's good stuff.
    Loved Moench & Jones' 90's stuff!

Ugh, the "1 of 1" thing was pretty annoying. Not the mark itself on the covers, but the fact that they even became necessary in the first place. And to think we complain about too many events/crossovers now?!

My biggest complaint is that The Doom That Came To Gotham never got a trade; a lot of worse elseworlds did. It's Mike Mignola, DC - it'd sell!
    Too broke for a pull list.

Quote Originally Posted by booyah View Post
    My biggest complaint is that The Doom That Came To Gotham never got a trade; a lot of worse elseworlds did. It's Mike Mignola, DC - it'd sell!
    I don't think it really deserves one.

awwww...

One of my favs, anyway.
    Too broke for a pull list.

Default The Uncollected: Batman

Thanks to DC, we do have a nice amount of Batman stories collected in TPB or HC. But I'm sure there are some stories that you wish would be collected that haven't been. So, what are they?

For me:

The early Post Crisis Jason Todd Issues

A new printing of Strange Apparitions with Full Size Covers in the proper place.
    Upon his lips the taste of pain
    venom kiss of love insane
    he's got a rod beneath his coat
    he's gonna ram right down your throat
    make your grovel on the floor
    spit up and scream and beg for more

Quote Originally Posted by lovelikewinter View Post

A new printing of Strange Apparitions with Full Size Covers in the proper place.
    You can also find them in affordable-enough form, SHADOW OF THE BATMAN, y'know.

I'll second the post-crisis Jason Todd stories. The tire boosting, becoming Robin, the meeting with Nightwing, tossing the guy from the building...all of it.

I'd also like that period in the 80's, "The New Batman Adventures", or whatever. Especially the ones where he's chasing the dumpster killer that chopped up the socialite. I never saw how that ended. I'm assuming Batman won :-P

Then there's the obvious...the lead-up to Knightfall, The Search, Troika, and a fresh printing of Legacy would be nice, too.

Funky Lantern Corpsman

Never knew this Shadow of the Batman existed..

I quickly bought this on eBay

Oh, let's see...

Untold Legend of the Batman.

Alan Grant & Norm Breyfogle's run.

Knightquest: The Search.

Road to No Man's Land.

Robin.

Batman Family.

The annuals that introduced Nightrunner for Batman Inc.
    Google is your friend. Have a question? Look it up. ∙ BlogSequential Salon