doot doot

Default Recommendation for a fan of Northlanders / DMZ who isn't into cliche

Hello there

This post might rub some people the wrong way, but if anyone can recommend a comic I like I guess it might be worth it!

I'm a big fan of Northlanders. Its gritty, dirty, realistic and there isn't a hint of super-hero about it.

The artist draws characters with dimension and weight but is confident enough to do so with speed, giving the art work fluidity and a natural stroke. Its printed on matt paper, the panels almost look hand and painterly. It doesn't have any of that superficial flat gloss. If they were just inked on paper and scanned I'd like them even more. It incorporates bold use of contemporary design without being overly noticeable.

It deals with mature subjects and doesn't stray too far into your typical comic clichés. Its dark without embarrassing itself in kitsch. There's blood, gore and strong women. Its well researched. Its not Batman, everything feels half grounded in reality. Or it will draw from saga's or historical accounts, this makes it believable in a way.

Unlike Brian woods DMZ (which I love - don't get me wrong) the characters don't end up looking like they took their sense of fashion from a 1990's edition of the NME. The artist is brilliant but in trying to make his characters edgy, he just ends up feeling like he 'doesn't get it'. Thankfully Brian Woods writing keeps it going anyway. I've been recommended Scalped but I'm not sure about that yet, the subject and art work isn't doing anything for me.

I'm normally reading indie comics, zines and stuff like that. I've got into more popular stuff like Northlanders recently and am hoping that if anyone has some recommendations I can branch out a bit more, I'll be forever grateful!

Thanks

Jim
    Last edited by JimJames; 04-15-2012 at 05:28 AM.

Brian Wood is writing Conan at the moment, so that might be up your alley.

Scalped is the best. Guera started off extremely sketchy and gritty but as the story went on he really refined his lines while keeping the grittiness necessary for a noir story.

If you like Brian Wood's writing you should check out Demo. Vol. 1 is probably stronger overall (also twice as long) but vol. 2 contains my favorite issues. It is not necessary to read them in order (or even to read the contained issues in order).

Sweet Tooth checks off quite a few of your boxes too.

Also, when you say "the artist" in Northlanders...which one do you mean?

ANother Brian Wood book and one I'm looking forward too is The Massive. It's a Dark Horse ongoing book that will start in June. I think it will be a little bit like DMZ, so if you liked that, you probably will like this too.

Other books up your ally will probably be books like Preacher and 100 Bullets. You might also like Spaceman.

Scalped is the best choice. Gritty, realistic, complex and amazingly well written.

Scalped uses the same wonderful paper that Northlanders does, and the art is fantastic. You want gritty? I suggest sticking it out if you can.
    I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze.

Conan, The Goon, Astro City, Criminal, Love and Rockets, Fatale, Saga, The Rocketeer

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Blacksad and Borderlines are fantastic noir/gritty graphic novels that are a MUST read.

Wood's New York Four/Five, Demo, and Local are must reads by him and IMO, some of his best work. Also, be on the look out for Wood's reprint of Channel Zero, fantastic stuff.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Oh yes Local is fantastic. The HC is a beautiful book- sewn, oversized, great design. I got it for like 50% off but would have been happy paying retail after seeing it.

I think Greg Rucka's "Queen And Country" and "Whiteout" merit a look.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    I think Greg Rucka's "Queen And Country" and "Whiteout" merit a look.
    I second Queen and Country, although the art is pretty variable.

My best recommendations: 100 Bullets (Azzarello/Risso), Criminal and Incognito (both by Brubaker/Phillips).

Sweet Tooth is great and one of my favourites but of course not what you might call realistic.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome! View Post
    Oh yes Local is fantastic. The HC is a beautiful book- sewn, oversized, great design. I got it for like 50% off but would have been happy paying retail after seeing it.
    Same here, it's definitely one of my favorite comic books; so emotionally powerful. A beautiful story backed with a beautiful production and hardcover.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!