Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Write a huge check to buy a smaller check

that was written to someone else.

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=448034

AWESOME!

In fairness, it really is a huge piece of comic book history. So $412. Who got the better of that deal?

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Wow. I'm rather shocked to see that this isn't safely ensconced in DC's version of the Ark of the Covenant.

I'm no fan of his by any stretch of the imagination, but I love what Dave Sim wrote (as quoted in Duin & Richardson's Comics Between the Panels, which as mentioned elsewhere I read again just a few days ago) --

The Grail

DC changes personnel in the offices, people die, the freelancers come and go. Fortunes rise and fall, shares are transferred, the physical offices are moved, torn down, rearranged. Pages are kept. Pages are returned. And somewhere in the bowels of DC Comics is the grail of the industry, the centerpiece of the real DC Universe. The contract signed by Jerry and Joe. It is the only constant. An unchanging asset. It has moved millions and millions of dollars through the economy of DC, and each new generation of employees has suckled at its teat.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

I find it interesting that both Joe and Jerry had to sign the check twice, and that it is also bearing the historical marks of being an exhibit in court in the lower left corner on the back. I did not recall the legal custody issues started as early as the date shown (1939). Have to brush up on my law history.

-jb the barrister ib -
    John Bacon - the Information Broker
    http://Herocopia.com

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

I'd be pretty pissed if all I got for Superman was $130...I guess things were really different back in 1938 for two starry-eyed creators....
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

They spent the next several decades being pretty pissed. And for good reason, of course.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

ha ha, its a bit like winning the lottery and losing your ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by CromagnonMan View Post
    ha ha, its a bit like winning the lottery and losing your ticket.
    ... and someone else picking it up and cashing it in.

BANNED

Man this check should be in a museum.

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    They spent the next several decades being pretty pissed. And for good reason, of course.
    There is no reason to be pissed off about it. Dudes sold the rights away.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin9977 View Post
    Man this check should be in a museum.

There is no reason to be pissed off about it. Dudes sold the rights away.
    the only person they should be annoyed with is themselves for signing the contract!

And yet DC was eventually shamed, through the efforts of people like Neal Adams, into granting them a decent pension & recognition as creators of the character.

It's almost as if not quite everybody in the world automatically sides with management &/or big corporations.

Will wonders never cease?

-- Reptisaurus!

And yet DC was eventually shamed, through the efforts of people like Neal Adams, into granting them a decent pension & recognition as creators of the character.

It's almost as if not quite everybody in the world automatically sides with management &/or big corporations.

Keep talking like that and people will think you're an anarchist. Or maybe even (gasp) a Democrat.
    One lab accident away from being a super-villain

Here in Alabama, I'm pretty sure they're regarded as pretty much synonymous.

-- Reptisaurus!

i dont automatically side with corporations..in fact i really dislike them. But once youve signed a contract, youve legally signed away your rights. i suppose i dislike people trying to get out of something theyve agreed to also.

Off the top of my head I can't venture to speculate where the DC (back then, I guess it was National) people fell on the spectrum, but back then signing a contract with a comics publisher was often tantamount to signing a contract with organized crime. Sort of makes me wonder if Siegel & Shuster might've have been looking at the equivalent of a swim in the Hudson with cement overshoes if they'd declined to do so ...

As for conspiracy theories, you should hear my ideas about CGC's nefarious behind-the-scenes activities.
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 04-19-2012 at 04:30 PM.

-- Reptisaurus!

Off the top of my head I can't venture to speculate where the DC (back then, I guess it was National) people fell on the spectrum, but back then signing a contract with a comics publisher was often tantamount to signing a contract with organized crime. Sort of makes me wonder if Siegel & Shuster might've have been looking at the equivalent of a swim in the Hudson with cement overshoes if they'd declined to do so ...
    That's quite a conspiracy theory you have going there.