View Poll Results: Which Cyclops do you prefer?

Voters
144. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • The hero: honorable, but uptight boy scout (think Claremont/Byrne era)

74 51.39%
  • The anti-hero: the insecure adulterer/tactically gifted tough guy (post-Morrison)

70 48.61%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Optic Rage View Post
    I'm not really sure what there is to enjoy from reading boy scout Cyclops. It's just not interesting/exciting to read.
    Because for all his insecurities, flaws and bullshit he endured during his life, he was fundamentally able to remain idealistic and optimistic. Current Cyke is cynical and there are enough cynical and pragmatic characters out there. Hell I can pick up a newspaper and read cynical and pragmatic. It is healthly having a few superheroes who are actually boyscouts.

Wallace Likes It That Way Deus ex Chris's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Because for all his insecurities, flaws and bullshit he endured during his life, he was fundamentally able to remain idealistic and optimistic. Current Cyke is cynical and there are enough cynical and pragmatic characters out there. Hell I can pick up a newspaper and read cynical and pragmatic. It is healthly having a few superheroes who are actually boyscouts.
    It might be healthy, but it's not very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Deus ex Chris View Post
    To each his own. I don't particular find it interesting turning him into just another cynical, pragmatic, ends justify the means kid of guy. Again, comics are littered with characters like that and frankly Magneto did it better before they made him a raving lunatic or whitewashed villain turned hero.

BANNED

i prefer the 'no more avengers' cyclops.

Current Cyclops is only interesting is a horrifying accident you can't look away from kinda a way. We know it can't last. As long as Cyclops is in pragmatic chessmaster that leads everybody to their death mode the dream is dead. Neutered puppy Headmaster Logan rebuilding the school while being the same old barely restrained killer we know and love on X-Force, the Avengers and Wolverine doesn't convince me otherwise.

To each his own. I don't particular find it interesting turning him into just another cynical, pragmatic, ends justify the means kid of guy. Again, comics are littered with characters like that and frankly Magneto did it better before they made him a raving lunatic or whitewashed villain turned hero.
    What's interesting about it is that it's supposed to go against his character. That's the story there. He's become something he never was before to ensure the survival of his people. Sadly, it hasn't always been handled well, but it's still a very interesting trajectory. Factor in that he's generally been portrayed as a compulsive, repressed, single-minded control freak, and you've got a lovely recipe for disaster. Hopefully, this stuff with him will get better execution as AvX goes along.

Also, Magneto started out as a raving lunatic.
    Last edited by Deus ex Chris; 04-14-2012 at 09:06 AM.

Wild element in the mix wolfsbane8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikekerrIII View Post
    Look up the terms "defeat in detail", "concentration of forces" and defensible perimeter. Those are basic military tactical rules and he is paying attention to all of them.

Having all you forces together is considered a very smart tactical moves since the components are easier to beat separately.

There is even a operational analysis mathematical rule for it called the N-squared law.
    Thanks for "the militia lesson Nș 1", but NAH!!! All the war tactics depends on geography, at first: if you become a target, your biggest mistake is to become a fixed target (NOT settle on a piece of rock in the ocean) you must become in a mobile target or you are dead.. that means: you don't go and put your base in a well located chunk of rock in the ocean...Because an island is a very easy target. The smaller the island, most easier to attack from all sides.You don't need not be a "tactical genius" to know this. Cyclops painted a giant target on his big mutant a*s...
    Last edited by wolfsbane8; 04-14-2012 at 09:07 AM.

What's interesting about it is that it's supposed to go against his character. That's the story there. He's become something he never was before to ensure the survival of his people. Sadly, it hasn't always been handled well, but it's still a very interesting trajectory. Factor in that he's generally been portrayed as a compulsive, repressed, single-minded control freak, and you've got a lovely recipe for disaster. Hopefully, this stuff with him will get better execution as AvX goes along.

Also, Magneto started out as a raving lunatic.
    Yes and I have seen that story play out plenty of times already. It would be nice to have someone stay a boyscout instead of being broken by their circumstances.

We'll Be Waiting For You godzilla2099's Avatar

If Yost or Whedon is writing Scott, then you're probably going to be reading one of Cyclops's Best Stories

33 yrs old. Batman 89 Movie is what got me into collecting

Claremont was the one who established his morals: he was upright and a rules-jockey, but still had a human side. He may have angsted about his powers a lot, but at the same time he could lighten up now and again, especially towards the end of Claremont's run.

Whedon gave him a personality that intrigued and fascinated me, and a fresh spin on the character. He sold me on Scott/Emma back when they both had personalities and were individuals who just happened to be in the same bed together.

In both incarnations, he could pull it together and form strategies that pulled the team through. I may prefer Storm as team leader, but Scott could get the job done.

I prefer a Scott who knows right from wrong, who can treat his people like they're people and not an expendable task force, and inspires others to be the best they can by being the best he is. His attitude may incur dissension from people like Wolverine or Rogue (when she's Rogue and not a superpowered Bella Swan), but at the end of the day he does his best to do right by his team, and by his conscience.

So I guess by and large, I'm a pre-Morrison fan.

(I turn 30 soon BTW. Got into X-Men from the animated series when I was 11, and collected some Essentials and TPBs later, along with the 40 Years DVD-ROM)
    Last edited by Ingonyama; 04-14-2012 at 10:24 AM.
    'Yama

My Top 25 X-Men
    (most microes by Blanchett, who's awesome. Go see her stuff!)

Yes and I have seen that story play out plenty of times already. It would be nice to have someone stay a boyscout instead of being broken by their circumstances.
    He hasn't been broken yet. At this point, he's only been tempered. That break seems inevitable, though.

Ironically, an idealist "boy-scout" is a lot more original and interesting to me now than yet another anti-hero ripped off from Wolverine or the Punisher.

The poster who said that Daredevil is the best template for the multi-layered character is right on-point. DD's about the only character I've seen that's written to maintain his idealism while emphasizing his flawed nature. He's the best superhero in comics in my opinion. I don't know if this intrepretation would work for Scott ... honestly I prefer the boy scout who has had to deal with loss throughout his life.

The mainstream interpretation of Scott attempts take after this, as the last two TV series depict him as a hero tortured by the loss of his loved one.
    Hold you in his armchair you can feel his disease

"Sane" tenten

Comics are full of boring as nice guys. Cyclops isn't even that edgy nowadays, but he certainly is more interesting.
    XPOTM:September 2010

He really isn't that edgy. He's certainly not the Punisher or Wolverine, who are angry, tortured souls turning to violence for some kind of atonement. That's not Cyclops. He's a desperate person pushed to the brink by what he perceives to be a very real and immediate threat to his people.