Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

As far as Bendis having a distinctive style, like a Tarantino or Mamet, that's not what makes Tarantino or Mamet talented. That's a weakness, when you have everyone of your characters sounding the same regardless of background, age, sex, or culture. Having a similar feel or tone to their work (which I see more in Tarantino) is fine, but the dialogue should reflect who the characters are. You should get a feel for who they are by the way they speak. Perhaps in a Resevoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction characters sounded similar (though not as much as a typical Bendis comic), but if you look at something like "Inglourious Basterds" he'd moved far away from that.

And as far as his "risky" move of adding Wolverine and Spider-Man to the Avengers, they're two of the (if not the two) most popular characters in Marvel's universe. There's no risk there, it was just never done before because either (in the case of Spider-Man) they were loners or (in the case of Wolverine) they were killers who didn't fit the profile of what an Avenger should be (and had their own team, and cause, to fight for regardless).

All that said, I have enjoyed Bendis on Daredevil, Alias, and Ultimate Spider-Man, and if he tries out GotG I'll probably read the first issue to see how it goes. I do hope it's the original version, as I don't feel as much of a connection to the Yondus and Starhawks of the world and wouldn't feel the need to compare his take to the last series. Besides, those characters could use an update (or at least an ongoing title).
    A Fool for the Foom

With Remender bringing Mar-Vell back in the next couple of months, I thought the worst that could happen is that he would die again in a couple of issues. Now, however... a Bendis-written Mar-Vell might well be a fate worse than death.

I'd hope that if Marvel is reviving cosmic that they don't just let one writer or writing team control that corner. Maybe they can take a big-little approach with one of their higher profiled writers creating interest but supporting him with some fresher voices.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Wallace Likes It That Way Deus ex Chris's Avatar

I like Bendis. I do feel like he's hit a burnout with the Avengers, so I think moving to a new sand box isn't a bad idea at all. I'm definitely down. Besides, the cosmic books have been unreadable since Giffen left, so it certainly can't' get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    Dear god I hope not. That's a sure fire way to ruin Marvel cosmic.
    When will Marvel wake up and fire Bendis already?

No, NO, GOD NOOOOOOOOO to Bendis on cosmic Marvel or the X-Men or anything.

Bendis (if Marvel keeps him) should stick on his creator projects or the Ultimate universe.

Just keep him FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRR away from 616.
    Logic > You

Quote Originally Posted by Angrel View Post
    When will Marvel wake up and fire Bendis already?

No, NO, GOD NOOOOOOOOO to Bendis on cosmic Marvel or the X-Men or anything.

Bendis (if Marvel keeps him) should stick on his creator projects or the Ultimate universe.

Just keep him FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRR away from 616.
    I've bad talked Bendis enough, so here's something nice.

He seems to do good work when you leave him alone and let him do his own thing, with his own characters. So let him do that. Get him away from the established characters we love, so he can goof off with his own thing. Even alternate universe stuff would be fine, just keep him out of 616.
    Comics enjoyed by my Old Lady: Chew, IKG, Saga, JTHM, Ex Machina, Gil Kane's Green Lantern, Wormwood, NYX, Jurgen and JMS's Thor, along with a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by CTpitch View Post
    and ruin a whole side of marvel
    god I could just see Quasar's head eating a hotdog while making snarky banter kill me now
    LMAO!!!!!
    Logic > You

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Hey, remember when it was common knowledge that Loeb was taking over the cosmic side of things? How'd that turn out?

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
    I also came across this article that speculates who the big bad behind the Zodiac really is and it made a lot of sense to me. It's hard to see how Bendis is NOT going cosmic!
    I think that blog makes a pretty good case for the villain of this arc, but that's about it.
    Expletive Deleted

I wouldnt mind Bendi getting a shot at GotG. Sure, the later part of his Avengers sucked but I think he was suffering from burnout. A new challenge will do him a world of good and Im always happy when a cosmic book gets a chance.
    Thor: God of Thunder, Indestructible Hulk, Deadpool, Captain Marvel, Avengers, Mighty Avengers, All-New X-Men

In the Evil Force of Evil Chiasm's Avatar

To be honest if I saw Bendis doing anything cosmic it would be COSMIC AVENGERS.

I've kind of got a sneaking suspicion that something like that might be in the works. AvX will certainly show a need for a cosmic level team to handle future threats like the Phoenix. Carol Danvers is being rechristened as Captain Marvel and she has a cosmic history. They say they have plans for Nova (which one I don't know).

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see such a series spin out of AvX starring Captain Marvel, Quasar, one of the Nova's, and maybe some of the GOTG.

And since it has Avengers in the title, Bendis would have a good chance of being the writer.

Whatever it is, it just better have Cosmo!

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

While I'm not a huge fan of Bendis, I won't fault the guy for possibly trying to broaden his resume into other genres.

Maybe he'll do something more "street-level" cosmic, less far-out sci-fi.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    While I'm not a huge fan of Bendis, I won't fault the guy for possibly trying to broaden his resume into other genres.

Maybe he'll do something more "street-level" cosmic, less far-out sci-fi.
    He's in a position where he can do any creator owned project he wants, so if "resume broadening" is his goal, he should do it with his own stuff. His ideas seem to work better that way.

Also, I remember when the Loeb rumors were going around. They didn't scare me very much, because I've never had a chance to read what people consider to be "Bad Loeb," altough I know it exists; I've only ever read his good stuff, which played a bigpart in getting me into comics.
    Comics enjoyed by my Old Lady: Chew, IKG, Saga, JTHM, Ex Machina, Gil Kane's Green Lantern, Wormwood, NYX, Jurgen and JMS's Thor, along with a few others.

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rice View Post
    He's in a position where he can do any creator owned project he wants, so if "resume broadening" is his goal, he should do it with his own stuff. His ideas seem to work better that way.

Also, I remember when the Loeb rumors were going around. They didn't scare me very much, because I've never had a chance to read what people consider to be "Bad Loeb," altough I know it exists; I've only ever read his good stuff, which played a bigpart in getting me into comics.
    "Resume broadening" sometimes works better if it's done through a big company like Marvel. It also pays the bills better.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

BANNED

With Bendis theres only one thing he's good at. Street Level stories, nothing more and nothing less.
    When he ventures out of his comfort zone he has good ideas but terrible execution and Marvel should realize this
    not push him further to genre he can barely comprehend. He'd probably alter the history to suit his need like Brubaker
    on that Secret Avengers arc. Was not a fan of that arc, too many retcons and same old "Oh great evil is coming that has existed long before Galactus and the Celetials!" Its lazy and contrived.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    I'd hope that if Marvel is reviving cosmic that they don't just let one writer or writing team control that corner. Maybe they can take a big-little approach with one of their higher profiled writers creating interest but supporting him with some fresher voices.
    How many books do you think Cosmic can support? I figure at most you can have 1 or 2 at this point. Unless you integrate a lot of popular characters so it is going to be basically one writer controlling.
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February