Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RandomFalls View Post
    I think it would be prettty fun - and totally out of nowhere - if Zola was the one to betray Diana. We could all have a moment of going: "wha...?"
    Bingo on this choice.
    Greg Rucka is a strong independent black woman who don't need no man.-LETO

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by West Mantooth View Post
    Bingo on this choice.
    Yeah, you both could be onto something there. I doubt that Zola is an out-and-out traitor, but the solicit, if I remember right, only says that "one of Wonder Woman's closest companions is not to be trusted." Maybe Zola is basically on Diana's side but has been holding back some important information about her background,her relationship with Zeus or her unborn child.

Hermes could really be the traitor. Just re-read this exchange.

Lennox says that he's running with the Messenger, a way of saying that Hermes is on their side.
    Hades laughs at that, saying that he can't be keep up with somebody that can't keep up. Lennox and probably the readers too immediatly think that what Hades is talking about it's Hermes speed, and that he can't keep up because of it. But hes' probably refering to Hermes abilities as a trickster.

*mind explodes*
    Azzarello your puns are making my head hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    No, theres some thing birdy about him...angry birdie!
    Uhm... lol
    Last edited by WhitOro; 04-15-2012 at 10:47 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RandomFalls View Post
    I think it would be prettty fun - and totally out of nowhere - if Zola was the one to betray Diana. We could all have a moment of going: "wha...?"
    This would be an interesting development and have some feet to it; Zola is spending a lot of time in the nightmare of Hades; perhaps she betrays Diana out of duress; it's not a thing of malice, it's out of fear; than Diana, like reasonable good people, will understand and forgive her (e.g. similar to Peter denying Jesus 3 times out of fear and Jesus returning to forgive him twice as detailed in the Gospel of John; Peter wasn't bad, fear and the circumstances, starting with Jesus healing the Roman Centurion's ear after Peter wounded it with the sward, refusing Peter's otherwise brilliant escape attempt, just made him react in a manner that he thought he would not; however, Jesus could have otherwise stopped it anyhow, if He chose to stop it).

Mark Millar Licks Goats BeccaBlast's Avatar

Actually, it's not even that complicated. Hades says, "You (Lennox) said you were running with someone (Hermes) you can't POSSIBLY keep up with."

Hermes is not only the Messenger of Olympus; he's the trickster, the thief. Lennox' words were an expression; Hades' were not. I figure he's openly mocking that Lennox isn't capable of matching wits with Olympians, and Hermes in particular.
    Some days a girl wants to ride ponies. Some days a girl wants to punch tanks. Today ... is a tank day.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhitOro View Post
    Hermes could really be the traitor. Just re-read this exchange.
    And Hermes seems to have a big wind around him--which, while it may be a perfectly ordinary wind, could at the same time also be a visual clue supporting the theory that Hermes has been manipulating Lennox by manipulating the wind to which Lennox listens (as we were talking about on the hippocampus thread).

Quote Originally Posted by BeccaBlast View Post
    Actually, it's not even that complicated. Hades says, "You (Lennox) said you were running with someone (Hermes) you can't POSSIBLY keep up with."

Hermes is not only the Messenger of Olympus; he's the trickster, the thief. Lennox' words were an expression; Hades' were not. I figure he's openly mocking that Lennox isn't capable of matching wits with Olympians, and Hermes in particular.
    Yes, yes, you said it much better. I got a little confused with the words.

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    And Hermes seems to have a big wind around him--which, while it may be a perfectly ordinary wind, could at the same time also be a visual clue supporting the theory that Hermes has been manipulating Lennox by manipulating the wind to which Lennox listens (as we were talking about on the hippocampus thread).
    Not to hate on Akins, but I believe having Chiang in these issues would have been better. But the figure of Hermes does appear more mysterious an threatening on the distance.
    And he acts much like all the other Gods too. Right after this, Lennox says "God's almighty" and he respondes together with Hades and Poseidon "Yes", something that you could find unexpected by what appears a more easy going personality like his.
    Last edited by WhitOro; 04-15-2012 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dshipp17 View Post
    This would be an interesting development and have some feet to it; Zola is spending a lot of time in the nightmare of Hades; perhaps she betrays Diana out of duress; it's not a thing of malice, it's out of fear; than Diana, like reasonable good people, will understand and forgive her (e.g. similar to Peter denying Jesus 3 times out of fear and Jesus returning to forgive him twice as detailed in the Gospel of John; Peter wasn't bad, fear and the circumstances, starting with Jesus healing the Roman Centurion's ear after Peter wounded it with the sward, refusing Peter's otherwise brilliant escape attempt, just made him react in a manner that he thought he would not; however, Jesus could have otherwise stopped it anyhow, if He chose to stop it).
    Or it could be under the belief that Diana's actions will hurt her unborn child. I doubt Diana would hold a betrayal against Zola if that was the reason.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ebon Phantom View Post
    Or it could be under the belief that Diana's actions will hurt her unborn child. I doubt Diana would hold a betrayal against Zola if that was the reason.
    Not so much Diana, but the person writing the solicit for the upcoming issues referring to it as a betrayal. However, Diana might hold it against her for a while; she's only human, or, at least, only a half supernatural being not connected with the Heaven resided within by Jesus; that source is not under the law or concept of forgiveness.
    Last edited by dshipp17; 04-15-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Veteran Member

Not so much Diana, but the person writing the solicit for the upcoming issues referring to it as a betrayal.
    Does it really say "betrayal," though? The closest I see, in the solicit for #10, is "one of DIANA'S closest companions is not to be trusted!" Depending on circumstances and motivations, "not to be trusted" could fall short of an outright "betrayal."

Quote Originally Posted by MelDyer View Post
    With Issue #7, Hermes, more than ever, looks like the one most strategically poised to betray Diana!

If Hermes turns out to be the traitor, this will be a decisive break with nearly seventy years of Wonder-mythos, during which Hermes (or Mercury) has been portrayed as a friendly uncle or brother.
    I don't know about 7O years of trustworthiness. Pre-crisis, Hermes has paired up with Hercules to be a pain in Diana's side a few times, once to steal Diana's bracelets to make her go on a rampage (so Hercules could "heroically" put her down) and once - well, I don't remember why he & Hercules had the Amazons in chains - but Diana came to PI to talk to Hippolyta about the WW Foundation and possibly changing to the =w= halter (I've always wondered how those women got Di's measurements) & she had to engage in a contest of speed with Hermes & strength with Hercules to free the Amazons.

Hermes wasn't overtly "Mwah-ha-ha" evil in those appearances - I think he may have even apologized when he stole her bracelets - but he definitely wasn't working with her.

Did Hermes make any golden age appearances? I'd look it up, but I'm not sure of where I stashed my Wondy encyclopedia.

BANNED

Does it really say "betrayal," though? The closest I see, in the solicit for #10, is "one of DIANA'S closest companions is not to be trusted!" Depending on circumstances and motivations, "not to be trusted" could fall short of an outright "betrayal."
    That's true, but I was put focused on the term betrayal by this thread, the prior poster, and this poster.

Veteran Member

That's true, but I was put focused on the term betrayal by this thread, the prior poster, and this poster.
    Oh, for sure--and even prior threads. I didn't meant to put it on you specifically. For all I know, I might have been the one who called it "betrayal" first, and I'm just getting around to noticing that the solicit doesn't quite say that.

BANNED

Oh, for sure--and even prior threads. I didn't meant to put it on you specifically. For all I know, I might have been the one who called it "betrayal" first, and I'm just getting around to noticing that the solicit doesn't quite say that.
    Yes, and in that solicit, Diana will have been in Hades for at least an issue, so it could end up being a Zola under extreme duress, provided Hades is being represented correctly (currently, mistakenly referred to as Hell by Christians; still a place of fire and brimstone, but just not Hell quite yet); but, there is Hades referred to in Greek mythology where Hades rule instead of Satan and his demons, so, Hades may be a much more calm place by comparison; Hades is represented that way sometimes in Greek mythology, depending on the storyteller's prospective; if this were the Christian Hades, there is no easy way into Hades; one headed there will always get a terrifying welcoming, including and especially Wonder Woman (e.g. see Artemis: Requiem issue #1, for a proper representation of Diana entering Hell).
    Last edited by dshipp17; 04-15-2012 at 04:05 PM.

Veteran Member

Yes, and in that solicit, Diana will have been in Hades for at least an issue, so it could end up being a Zola under extreme duress, provided Hades is being represented correctly (currently, mistakenly referred to as Hell by Christians; still a place of fire and brimstone, but just not Hell quite yet); but, there is Hades referred to in Greek mythology where Hades rule instead of Satan and his demons, so, Hades may be a much more calm place by comparison; Hades is represented that way sometimes in Greek mythology, depending on the storyteller's prospective; if this were the Christian Hades, there is no easy way into Hades; one headed there will always get a terrifying welcoming, including and especially Wonder Woman (e.g. see Artemis: Requiem issue #1, for a proper representation of Diana entering Hell).
    I'm pretty sure the god Hades will be in charge of this fictional place Hades, as he and Poseidon have already referred to the division of heaven, seas and "shadow"/Hades among the three brothers. But imagine Wonder Woman is going to get a terrifying-enough welcome, considering that Hades has already sent a monster to Hephaestus workshop just because he's angry about her travel plans.

How harrowing Zola's stay will have been, I don't know. Maybe just gloomy , as I gather Persephone's was in the myths.