Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Digital first

I collect Print copies of some books to support my LCS but I also read a good deal of stuff digitally. Both are equally valid options and support the comic companies. I don't see what some peoples gripe is about same day digital and exclusive digital comics.
    D-Deadman! You killed Deadman!!

BANNED

To me, I can only have print. I placed all my books in plastic pages that can snap in binders, and they look fantastic. God damn it, I spend hours looking over them. I only started buying after N52 so its not a lot so far, but I absolutely love the way they look

Quote Originally Posted by Prisoner 6655321 View Post
    Well, I'll have to wait to get the stories. In general I keep up with things and if it's a title I'd otherwise like to read but can't, only so DC can try to swoon hipsters. It doesn't really hurt me but it's more than a bit lame imo.
    Well, while I do think digital is going to grow, it's going to be a while before there is widespread discussion about books that come out in digital first, during that period when the digital is out but the print isn't. So I think it's safe for you to just pretend the digital doesn't exist.

Makes me want to drop DC books almost as much as a reboot. To be fair, 3 months into the reboot I came back... Anyway... I am anti-this.
    Why?

I mean, how does it affect you? Because you personally like print better? I try not to insult other posters but this seems like a really idiotic stance to have.

I hate country music, but Im not "against" it. I just dont listen to it. And you know, country music does not damage my life in any way. It does not detract from the music I do enjoy. Just an example.

These digital books are not connected to New52 continuity, pre-Flashpoint history, Young Justice continuity, or anything. How is it hurting you?

Sorry, Im likely going off the deep end a little. Im still wound up over some recent laws passed in the South that I feel completely infringe on our right of choice and insult the Constitution, and its likely carrying over here.

And I agree with the posters who like the new digital. I still buy mostly print due to LCS loyalty, but if not for that I would have switched over completely. They look better, I like the panel breakdowns, and I dont have to worry about my kid coloring on them.

How is your collection of VHS and cassette tapes going?

And heads up, you probably should have dropped all comics months ago since that's how long they've been around.

Seriously, what kind of logic is "DC is putting out digital first comics?! BETTER DROP EVERYTHING!" all I'm reading are idle threats being made to no one. Gaurentee this dude is in a comic shop next Wednesday.
    Last edited by FHIZ; 04-13-2012 at 06:46 PM.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FHIZ View Post
    How is your collection of VHS and cassette tapes going?
    Actually, it's Beta Max, 8-Track and Laser Disk.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Before going further, yes I over reacted a bit. Still, I'm not thrilled about this sort of thing. I should note that I live a purposefully dis-connected existence in that I don't own a cell phone, for a long list of reasons. I also don't dig e-readers. I like books. What more can I say here? They don't take batteries, they never need to get updated and they can last for a really long time. (On an unrelated note, I also only buy music on vinyl and I get news from the paper newspaper) If people use these things I'm not offended. I still don't want them for myself for a number of reasons but I can understand some of the appeal at least that others may see in such things. Same day digital doesn't really bother me so much, if I were a brick and mortar retailer I may feel differently but I'm not so I wouldn't presume to speak for them and will reiterate, same day digital doesn't really bother me so much... What I don't want to see is a sort of trend where digital readers are favored in various ways, above folks who buy physical books. I don't want to be edged out of the hobby because it goes primarily digital. Once upon a time I was a fan of WoD games, they went to digital only with some lower quality pod stuff, I quit buying White Wolf stuff. So, sorry yes I was over reacting but I will also stop buying any comic books if the whole thing shifted to a digital only format and I would that rather not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome! View Post
    I don't do digital but getting mad at this is silly. Anything that comes out digitally first will surely get a print run at some point, either in a floppy like Batman Beyond Unlimited or maybe even straight to trade.
    This is the key . . . as long as they're not exclusive to digital, try not to worry too much.

Digital is a great alternative for some, and anything that can retain and add readers without truly penalizing those of us who prefer the old-school style isn't something to really complain about.

(I don't have a tablet / laptop / notebook / smart phone / cell phone / X-Box / dvr / etc, though I do use some electrical things like this here desktop computer. Oh, and I ditched the rotary telephone and the rabbit ears for the TV in the last century. )

(By the way, still have the rotary phone somewhere . . . possibly in storage with my CB radio.
    The 8-Track tape player, however, I did finally get rid of.)

Before going further, yes I over reacted a bit. Still, I'm not thrilled about this sort of thing. I should note that I live a purposefully dis-connected existence in that I don't own a cell phone, for a long list of reasons. I also don't dig e-readers. I like books. What more can I say here? They don't take batteries, they never need to get updated and they can last for a really long time. (On an unrelated note, I also only buy music on vinyl and I get news from the paper newspaper) If people use these things I'm not offended. I still don't want them for myself for a number of reasons but I can understand some of the appeal at least that others may see in such things. Same day digital doesn't really bother me so much, if I were a brick and mortar retailer I may feel differently but I'm not so I wouldn't presume to speak for them and will reiterate, same day digital doesn't really bother me so much... What I don't want to see is a sort of trend where digital readers are favored in various ways, above folks who buy physical books. I don't want to be edged out of the hobby because it goes primarily digital. Once upon a time I was a fan of WoD games, they went to digital only with some lower quality pod stuff, I quit buying White Wolf stuff. So, sorry yes I was over reacting but I will also stop buying any comic books if the whole thing shifted to a digital only format and I would that rather not happen.
    S'cool.

But, just to warn you, I think digital is going to overtake print sooner or later. Granted, this is just my opinion and not really backed up by hard facts, but it seems to be the trend. We get our music, news, movies, television shows, ect, all digitally now. We do our shopping online. Well, "I" dont, but people in general do. And that is not likely to change. As social technology continues to grow and expand, things like print copies (of anything) are going to be phased out just like the eight track.

It likely will take many years, but I think its the way of the future.

Maybe... But I don't buy records because they're retro. I buy them because you can get the best quality from them, the art looks better and you actually get to own something. Print has a number of redeeming qualities that digital can't touch. I am not against any technology because it's new or technology or anything, I'm very much pro-advancement. It's simply my belief that a bulk of the new consumer technology of the past several years is just product being pushed and not stuff that has much actual benefit. Without getting too much into it.... digital devices are expensive to buy and too cheap to make; too often do they need replaced (You generally only buy a paper comic once) and too little do the workers get paid in the device factories (an ironic image of Foxconn factory workers flinging themselves to their deaths so that folks can read about Superman telling the girl to get off the ledge in All-Star Superman on their I-pad) . Digital copyright law is for $#!t and you actually own nothing. Batteries and other aspects of these machines are horrible for the environment when they do inevitably break down. Paper comics can be preserved much longer than a digital device or recycled to make much less waste.
    Last edited by Prisoner 6655321; 04-16-2012 at 03:13 AM.