Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Absolutely brilliant. Easily the best horror-comedy since Scream. I loved its interpretation of the Rules of Horror. Just inspired and fantastic.
    virtue untested is innocence.
    When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember it is still an evil.

In the Evil Force of Evil Chiasm's Avatar

Great movie.

And I loved the Whedon stable actor cameo's though I suppose one can't be considered a cameo since he was one of the main characters.

I don't like horror movies, but I love Joss Whedon. What to do... I'm actually tempted to watch this since it has so many positive reviews. Even if I don't like a genre, if it's a truly excellent movie, it's possible I could enjoy it.

Dollhouse didn't sound like my kind of thing either, but it was amazing.
    Read my fairy tale webcomic, The Fox & The Firebird, at: http://www.fairytaletwisted.com

Taste the Bitch Pudding. Green Griffin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marie August View Post
    I don't like horror movies, but I love Joss Whedon. What to do... I'm actually tempted to watch this since it has so many positive reviews. Even if I don't like a genre, if it's a truly excellent movie, it's possible I could enjoy it.

Dollhouse didn't sound like my kind of thing either, but it was amazing.
    It's more in line with a comedy then a horror.

I think I'm just going to wait until this comes out on DVD, the trailers made me feel like I already know everything that's going to happen in the movie. I mean they already gave away that they're in some kind of Cube 2 with Evil Dead & Friday the 13th trappings thing, since it's a horror movie the only reasons I can think of such a thing existing is because either:

• Rich secret society people watch it for fun.
    • They're some kind of sacrifice to some kind of Lovecraftian thing.
    • Secret society types do it because they what to show a person (the final girl) the true meaning of fear.

Or I guess it could be all three.

Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post
    I think I'm just going to wait until this comes out on DVD, the trailers made me feel like I already know everything that's going to happen in the movie. I mean they already gave away that they're in some kind of Cube 2 with Evil Dead & Friday the 13th trappings thing, since it's a horror movie the only reasons I can think of such a thing existing is because either:

• Rich secret society people watch it for fun.
    • They're some kind of sacrifice to some kind of Lovecraftian thing.
    • Secret society types do it because they what to show a person (the final girl) the true meaning of fear.

Or I guess it could be all three.
    You're missing the point. The basic premise is set up within the first few minutes of the movie (None of the stuff in the trailer is treated like a shocking surprise in the actual film). This isn't a movie that relies on a big twist as to WHY it's all happening. It's all about the WHAT, and the story really goes to the most insane places that the trailers don't even come close to spoiling.

See it as soon as you can before it does get spoiled, though. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Tar22 View Post
    You're missing the point. The basic premise is set up within the first few minutes of the movie (None of the stuff in the trailer is treated like a shocking surprise in the actual film). This isn't a movie that relies on a big twist as to WHY it's all happening. It's all about the WHAT, and the story really goes to the most insane places that the trailers don't even come close to spoiling.

See it as soon as you can before it does get spoiled, though. Seriously.
    Yeah, I get that it's that, but I feel like I already know the joke.

Are the most insane places it goes where I already said I think it's going?

10 years from now they'll remake this as a trilogy in the vain of The Hunger Games, mark my words.
    spoilers:
    How is it that there is an unguarded room with a release all the monsters button?
    end of spoilers

Your shoelaces are untied Kalen O.'s Avatar

Not really, because as others have said, its a lot like Scream in that it pokes fun of certain tropes and attempts to subvert them. So while you're partially right in one of your guesses, its only because they go that way precisely BECAUSE its an obvious direction, and that's the point. You're still missing the tone. The exact plot twist isn't the point.
    My favorite character can beat up your favorite character.

Loser.

Everyone needs to watch this movie, it is ... amazing. Certainly the best film I've watched all year, and definitely the best horror film I've watched ... dare I say ever?

It turns the genre up on it's head, making fun of it's stupid plot twists, even as it explains the reasoning behind them. The great thing is, in the end, it stays true to being a horror film. Without giving too much away, it's a horror film within a horror film, all wrapped up in a glorious comedy.

This is why I love Joss Wheddon. That man can do magical things with dialogue.

Bottom line: Must see. Especially for fans of the horror genre, I cannot stress that enough.
    DC: ASW ● A. Man ● Batgirl ● Batman ● Batwoman ● BoP ● E2 ● Flash ● Dial H ● JLD ● Wonder Woman
    Marvel: Av ● C. Mar ● Hawkguy ● N.Av ● Thor ● W&XM
    Other: Saga ● Red Sonja

Quote Originally Posted by Groot View Post
    spoilers:
    How is it that there is an unguarded room with a release all the monsters button?
    end of spoilers
    Plot device, Mr. Frodo, plot device.
    DC: ASW ● A. Man ● Batgirl ● Batman ● Batwoman ● BoP ● E2 ● Flash ● Dial H ● JLD ● Wonder Woman
    Marvel: Av ● C. Mar ● Hawkguy ● N.Av ● Thor ● W&XM
    Other: Saga ● Red Sonja

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    Absolutely brilliant. Easily the best horror-comedy since Scream. I loved its interpretation of the Rules of Horror. Just inspired and fantastic.
    possibly. they were certainly in the same vein. but i also enjoyed Shaun of the Dead. i think i got myself overly excited for Cabin in the Woods before seeing it. i was hoping for more in the woods scenes. but, all in all, i'm sure that this will become a cult classic.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    possibly. they were certainly in the same vein. but i also enjoyed Shaun of the Dead. i think i got myself overly excited for Cabin in the Woods before seeing it. i was hoping for more in the woods scenes. but, all in all, i'm sure that this will become a cult classic.
    Shaun of the Dead is a much better movie than Scream, so are Slither, Dead Snow, Ichi the Killer, Trick 'r Treat, Bubba Ho-Tep, Ginger Snaps, Feast, Thirst, and Drag Me to Hell.

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Shaun of the Dead is a much better movie than Scream, so are Slither, Dead Snow, Ichi the Killer, Trick 'r Treat, Bubba Ho-Tep, Ginger Snaps, Feast, Thirst, and Drag Me to Hell.
    i liked most if not all of those movies. and i would add Cabin in the Woods to the list of good horror comedies (is that even a separate genre, at this point?). still, Scream came about at a time when there was absolutely nothing like it around. horror was dead and buried until that movie. then there was a glut of copycat movies. but that doesn't change the overall point.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Yeah, I get that it's that, but I feel like I already know the joke.
    Perhaps you do. But that's like assuming you won't enjoy Jaws if you watch it already knowing that it's a great white shark doing the killings, or that Arnie is a cyborg in The Terminator.

Are the most insane places it goes where I already said I think it's going?
    Nope.