Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    I voted Animal Man, but no book here could be 'wrong' for me, they're all great.

Animal Man is the best, though.
    Hear hear! Animal Man is some amazing stuff that not nearly enough people read :(

I personally am not a fan of New 52 Batwoman. When Rucka was still on the book, it was a much better read. JHW3 still takes the cake with his artwork, but the writing leaves much to be desired.

edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    My personal choice, Animal Man, is the closest to a pitch perfect run of all the books that I've read, filled with density, new concepts, and character, thoughtful, innovative by degrees...but even it isn't perfect.
    This isn't me trying to be snarky, I promise, but what else have you read (doesn't have to be from new 52 or this year even) that you would consider perfect or close to perfect?
    Last edited by ajinkris; 04-13-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Daredevil is better.

Meh... As far as DC is concerned Animal Man and Wonder Woman are much, much better books. Action Comics too, if you get past the weird order of the issues. Action is much bolder, deeper and exciting than any issue of Batman so far. Snyder just treats it like high literature and people buy into the hype. And it's batman... testament to his power is that TDK is in the top 10 each month.

Btw, i want to pick up JiM. What issue do i start with and what do i need to know jumping into it? I know the basics of the Marvel Universe, read Civil War and Siege and some other crappy events. Is my body ready?
    Last edited by Dr. Hurt; 04-13-2012 at 02:08 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Meh... As far as DC is concerned Animal Man and Wonder Woman are much, much better books. Action Comics too, if you get past the weird order of the issues. Action is much bolder, deeper and exciting than any issue of Batman so far. Snyder just treats it like high literature and people buy into the hype. And it's batman... testament to his power is that TDK is in the top 10 each month.

Btw, i want to pick up JiM. What issue do i start with and what do i need to know jumping into it? I know the basics of the Marvel Universe, read Civil War and Siege and some other crappy events. Is my body ready?
    yeah are Daredevil and Journey to Mystery the only Marvel books nominated? they are the only ones I hear of that are good

BANNED

Honestly, I think it won because of Batman's popularity more than anything else. Not saying it isn't a good book, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Roldan View Post
    Yeah and it's not because it's of the most consistent titles around industry. The problem with books like JIM, Animal Man and Wonder Woman is that they aren't consistent. All those three had to resort to less then great artists to fill for their regular artist. Even amazing books like Daredevil and WaX, who had great fill-in artist still lack a bit because of that. That's one thing that Batman has above them all. One of the top 3 best writers right now and an artist who is not only amazing but can keep a regular monthly schedule.

Of course you can always disagree with me but i felt that's why one of the reasons why it won and not only because it's one of the biggest sellers right now.
    I meant to come back and mention that unlike most books Batman was one of the few that's held onto the launch creative team thus far, which is oddly commendable in today's industry.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Reginleif View Post
    this just proves to me that democracy is a failed system
    Depends whatever the general public wants. The majority is all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Reginleif View Post
    yeah are Daredevil and Journey to Mystery the only Marvel books nominated? they are the only ones I hear of that are good
    The only ones? Uncanny X-Force, X-Factor and Wolverine and the X-Men also come highly recommended. Add to that Hickman's Ultimates and Fantastic Four/FF. Amazing Spider-man also seems to be holding steady month-to-month as the people who seem to read it like it or love it, but I hear Scarlet Spider is the best Spider-book period.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Batman is beautiful, but I wanted the victory of Animal Man, because it deserves all the attention

OMAC and I vampire on the twelfth and 10th position
    Last edited by ken1989; 04-13-2012 at 02:41 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    The only ones? Uncanny X-Force, X-Factor and Wolverine and the X-Men also come highly recommended. Add to that Hickman's Ultimates and Fantastic Four/FF. Amazing Spider-man also seems to be holding steady month-to-month as the people who seem to read it like it or love it, but I hear Scarlet Spider is the best Spider-book period.
    The problem with the X titles, that, in my opinion Marvel has successful destroyed that franchise, much like the Great Khan did to the Tatars, or the Romans did to Carthage.

I definitely agree with all the voices calling for Animal Man as the best of the New 52, but I'm still very sad that reboots of old titles are somehow considered new series. People wonder why you hardly ever find any new comics fans. If they didn't want to read about all the same superheroes before, what makes DC and Marvel think a reboot is going to make a difference? It's new and unique titles like Sandman, Watchmen, Maus, Preacher, Walking Dead, Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, and so on that really bring in new readers. If the Big Two spent half of the time, money and effort promoting new and unique stories like those in unique and creative ways, the whole industry would be much better off. It would even help your favorite superhero soap operas find new readers.

Quote Originally Posted by ajinkris View Post
    Hear hear! Animal Man is some amazing stuff that not nearly enough people read :(

I personally am not a fan of New 52 Batwoman. When Rucka was still on the book, it was a much better read. JHW3 still takes the cake with his artwork, but the writing leaves much to be desired.

edit:

This isn't me trying to be snarky, I promise, but what else have you read (doesn't have to be from new 52 or this year even) that you would consider perfect or close to perfect?
    Animal Man is as close to perfect of the books being optioned as there is, for me. It's not nearly one of the best runs of all time or anything of that nature.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

I feel this past year has spawned some seriously great books. Every title nominated is deserving of the award in my opinion. For me personally it came down to Daredvil and Batman. I picked Batman. The entire run has been nothing short of fantastic. Granted I'm new to DC but this run for me has been one of the most enjoyable runs in the history of comic books. It's just been great on so many levels. Well deserved and congrats to all involved in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    The best place to start JIM is issue 622. The first two arcs have been collected as HCs: Journey Into Mystery: Fear Itself and Fear Itself Fallout, which are on Amazon for a pretty reasonable price. That first issue & the trade both have a good summary of what led to the current state of events on the Thor side of the universe, and though the storyline is pretty involved in Fear Itself, the book provides everything you need to know about what's going on. The third arc just wrapped up this month, and next month is a crossover event with New Mutants apparently involving zombies and Mephisto. Carmine Di Giandomenico is on art duties which should be awesome. Following that is an arc taking place in England dealing with Merlin and the Otherworld, titled the Manchester Gods- so, exciting things to come!

Clearly I recommend picking up the book.
    Last edited by frostfalls; 04-16-2012 at 06:50 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by spiderrmonkey View Post
    I feel if more people were reading "Journey into Mystery," it would have won
    People aren't reading JIM because it started as part of a crossover event that even die-hard Marvel Zombies have a hard time justifying as a good read. It's like DC expecting a hit book to launch out of War of the Gods. Also, no one cares about Loki. If Marvel wants to support JIM, then give us the first issue for free to test the book out. Frankly, I'm not even interested enough to find a torrent to check the book out. Again, it stars Loki.