Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by King Krypton View Post
    Define "correct."
    http://forums.comicbookresources.com...perman-Article

This does a much better job then I ever could

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Well... I think it's too early based on the first 10 pages of a 30+ page story, but it does look good. Right now, at this moment, I'd rate Jurgens and Giffen's SUPERMAN as the best mainstream Superman book. Not to knock ACTION, but SUPERMAN #7 was just fun and classic with a modern vibe.
    I have yet to read it.

Read the issue today and very much enjoyed it. I'm glad that SV will be continuing and Clark isn't being written like an annoying douche.

Yaaaayy! Now that it's in actual book form, I can read it to.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Now that the comic is out in printed form, what are everyone's thoughts on the final product?

The first thing I noticed was that it was printed on heavier paper stock than the regular DC comics. Personally, I liked it as the pages feel more substantial as I'm flipping through them. I also wonder what the reason was for having this particular book printed on heavier paper compared to the other 3.99 books.

Really enjoyed the story... in fact, so far I think this is a better Superman book than either Action or Superman, story-wise. I only purchased the first chapter digitally before I decided I would wait and get the printed version, and I have to say that reading it in it's printed form is pretty seamless. Given that it's going to be released digitally in shorter chunks, I understand that the creators would want to structure it so that there are logical cut-off points for each chapter. But I never really got that sense reading the printed version -- it felt like one cohesive story rather than three chapters stitched together.

The art is clean and uncluttered. I'm not sure I like the two-tone blue of the suit, but setting that aside I think the Smallville version of the suit is a better modern/updated look for Superman than the new 52 version (which I actually liked, until I saw this one). Got rid of the trunks, which is appropriate if you want to get away from the circus strongman look, but red and gold belt helps to break up the color of the suit better than just the red belt of the new 52 suit, and gives a nod to the red trunks/gold belt combo of the classic suit.

The only complaint I have is the cover. Clark has a really, really awkward expression on his face, like he's slightly embarrassed or something.

Loved it! Fave comic of my pull list that just came.

Cobra La La La La La!!!! AARON4576's Avatar

I just dropped Action Comics and Superman.I just can't get into the new 52 Superman,but Smallville will definitely fill the void! It almost read like the old Superman that I've really missed!Better costume,friendly personality,and back with Lois!
    I can't wait for issue 2!

Quote Originally Posted by AARON4576 View Post
    back with Lois!
    I do certainly appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    I don't know how anyone could ever hate on Superman The Movie. Still leaves me baffled.
    I hate Superman The Movie. None of the actors to me are good and i found the story average at best

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_i4got View Post
    I hate Superman The Movie. None of the actors to me are good and i found the story average at best
    Colour me also baffled.

I'm Right, You're Wrong King Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    http://forums.comicbookresources.com...perman-Article

This does a much better job then I ever could
    That article's just more of the same "WAAAH! They changed Superman and I don't like it! WAAAH!" whining that every faction of the fandom has pulled at various times, the anti-DC-Nu crowd being the latest example. It has no validity whatsoever as far as I'm concerned, and it does nothing to define what is or isn't "correct" about Superman (which is pretty variable beyond the core basics at best).

In fact, I'll just put it out there: there is no "correct" Superman. As long as you keep the core basics intact, he can be a swaggering, slightly cocky hero, a Zen boy scout, a doe-eyed romantic, a good-natured prankster...anything goes. And that's as it should be.

I wouldn't go that far. Brando and Ford are good in it, Stamp's the best thing about the franchise, and Hackman makes the most of what he's given as Luthor. But yeah, there's barely any story to speak of, the soft-focus camerawork gets old really quickly, and the rest of the cast ranges from terrible to just phoning it in. It's not the worst thing you'll ever see, but it's not a good movie by any stretch.
    Last edited by King Krypton; 05-04-2012 at 07:40 PM.

Looks like Cat Staggs updated her original cover:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smallville01_coverB300dpi.jpg