Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I was kind of relieved when Anne Hathaway was cast as Catwoman because that meant she was less likely to be cast as Lois Lane in the next Superman movie, which she wasn't. I still have high hopes for Talia to play a larger role in TDKR. But Nolan's Batman has more chemistry with men than women.

The costume is slowly growing on me, but I wish she would have had a cowl/goggles similar to the one she wears now in comics. But it's obviously an homage to her '60s tv series look.

Burton's Catwoman is still the coolest & my favorite of all her live action looks tv/movies.

Quote Originally Posted by CmX View Post
    The costume is slowly growing on me, but I wish she would have had a cowl/goggles similar to the one she wears now in comics. But it's obviously an homage to her '60s tv series look.

Burton's Catwoman is still the coolest & my favorite of all her live action looks tv/movies.
    The ears double as goggles.
    "John Stewart. LAME! ...this guy having a ring is like giving the batmobile to a blind old woman with her left leg in a cast."

"Pym biting Blobs head off seems like something that would have happened when i was ten years old and playing with action figures."

"i always assumed that [the blob] had the same powers as his 616 counterpart because, if simply being a huge fat guy was enough to be considered a mutant then there sure are a lot of mutants in 'real life'. "

If you'd told me a year ago that Nolans Batman would most resemble Julie Newmar I would have laughed it off as sounding awesome but just not very likely. The Cooke design all googles and headgear clearly seemed the obvious pick for these films. So I just can't believe how unexpectedly fantastic, sexy, stylish and even just how appropriate the final result actually is - I couldn't think of anything more to add or a single thing to alter.

Hathaway was my pick back when there were six rumored actresses on short list (Portman, Lively, Knightly, Watts and Weisz iirc) to me she was always the standout so i have to say, overall, I'm extremely excited on the Catwoman front

now if they've thrown in the Miller origin I'll probably jump and hoot in the cinema
    Last edited by nepenthes; 04-14-2012 at 12:51 AM.

What the...?

Don't love it but that's sort of the visual aesthetic Nolan is going for. I think she'll do a good job in the role.

BANNED

On one hand, this looks like Catwoman won't really be taken seriously in this movie, but then again, Selina seemed to have this ominous, foreboding dialogue in the trailer, so that's not necessarily the case. I guess we'll see. There definitely has to be a good reason to why they're giving her this more comic-booky costume.

Post Editing OCD Confuzzled Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    There definitely has to be a good reason to why they're giving her this more comic-booky costume.
    Meant to be made on a destitute budget?

Quote Originally Posted by Dawson4 View Post
    Another new image of Batman:

Attachment 91594
    Sooo.....would that be a Batlet as opposed to a tablet?

I actually like the Catwoman design. I realize it's a throwback to the 60s look, but it's working for me. I love Michelle Pfeiffer in Batman Returns, but I don't think the look would have worked for Hathaway/DKR, so I'm glad Nolan had the sense not to emulate it.

those god-damned goggles chipsnopotatoes's Avatar

I actually like the costume a lot and these latest pics of hers look really good. Can't really tell whether she's going to knock our socks off until we see her in action.

I love it as well. As others have said before, I love how Nolan is paying an homage to the 60s television show, that it looks like it fits in Nolanverse etc. etc. I loved Pfeiffer's catwoman and the costume she wore -- I thought its sharp, patched, sewn-together aesthetic reflected the desperate, vengeful, somewhat off-kilter psyche of Catwoman in Burton's film, whereas judging from these pictures Nolan's Selina seems relatively more... practical/professional? As in it seems they've really put the fact that she's a thief into consideration, what with the (I assume) functional belt.

I do kind of wish they'd kept Selina's hair short -- I do love the 60's-inspired look, but I didn't start reading Catwoman until the Darwyn Cooke redesign, so I've always imagined Selina with short hair. But this is a small nitpick. I want to say with a hundred percent certainty that Hathaway will do a good job in the role, but I won't. I've liked her in other films, but I'm reserving full judgement until I see the movie.

I'm simultaneously really looking forward to TDKR as much as I am seeing the Nolanverse end. Would love to see a Cooke design on the big screen. It's kind of funny how of like the 100 characters that got redesigns of the New 52, Catwoman came through completely untouched.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRocker13d View Post
    I am on the same boat that thinks that Hathaway was a poor choice. I have never enjoyed her role in any of the work that she has been in. That said, I really do hope Nolan makes me eat those words after I watch the film. I do not want the movie to be bad. Just not expecting much from her.

P.S./EDIT - Julie Newmar may have been my first crush, btw. Her or the pink ranger. Can never remember, but my goodness Julie was smoking hot.
    I've never really enjoyed Hathaway either, thought she was decent enough in Alice in Wonderland. However I also remember having absolutely 0% excitement finding out Katie Holmes was gonna play a lead female role in Batman Begins but that turned out extremely well - far better than I thought. And thinking about it now, my first thought when finding out Heath Ledger was gonna be Joker was "Huh? the pretty boy?" Nolan has a knack with getting the absolute best performances out of his actors/actresses so I really have to give him the benefit of the doubt with this one. I'm expecting Dark Knight Rises to far exceed expectations just like the past 2 Nolan Batman movies did.

But yes I'll admit those ears look somewhat silly. It'll probably seem better in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Notara View Post
    I love it as well. As others have said before, I love how Nolan is paying an homage to the 60s television show, that it looks like it fits in Nolanverse etc. etc. I loved Pfeiffer's catwoman and the costume she wore -- I thought its sharp, patched, sewn-together aesthetic reflected the desperate, vengeful, somewhat off-kilter psyche of Catwoman in Burton's film, whereas judging from these pictures Nolan's Selina seems relatively more... practical/professional? As in it seems they've really put the fact that she's a thief into consideration, what with the (I assume) functional belt.
    The EW article makes a few interesting points:

The next generation Catwoman is no campy vixen or gothic ghoul like previous versions of the feline character, but a wily, witty con artist armed with tools like high tech night-vision goggles. Says Director Christopher Nolan, "She has a very strong way of protecting herself and those she cares about, which implies an underlying darkness."
    As far as her being more a professional thief, this article seems to confirm that. Now, I don't completely agree with "campy vixen" or "gothic ghoul" to describe what Burton and Pfeiffer did, but it seems like Burton's Selina personified the darkness more up front, where Nolan's Selina will internalize that darkness more.

It goes on:

"Our starting point has always been, Who could this person be in the real world?" says Nolan. Hence Catwoman was irresistible to Nolan both because of her pop culture stature and the fact that the crafty cat burglar is Batman's earthiest of baddies. That said, Nolan's Selina Kyle (it's unclear if she's ever referred to as Catwoman in the movie) is presented as an enigma, maybe even to herself. As Hathaway says cryptically, "Who is Selina Kyle? She's someone who wants you to think she can answer that question." Nolan cast Hathaway because he believed the actress could handle the role's biggest challenge: suggesting a whole history for the character that's not in the script and never spelled out for the audience.
    Okay, so first: I didn't know there was still a question of whether Selina will be referred to as Catwoman or not in the film. I guess I just assumed (and I know, to assume is to presume) that because of all the recent merchandising we've seen, Selina has been titled "Catwoman" IIRC. But, back on topic, this just (kind of) confirms Selina's internal pain in Rises. It seems like this Selina will take a more mysterious route this time around. So Hathaway as Miller's Prostitute might not happen. But if Juno Temple is indeed Holly Robinson, that might be implied of Selina's past.

I'm still not completely sold on Hathaway, but who am I? Well, I'm a fanboy... Anyways. Through that doubt, somehow I'm still cautiously optimistic- Nolan has proved us wrong in the past. But, that still doesn't change the fact that Anne Hathaway annoys me to no end, but I had a personal realization-

I initially hated the Rises Catwoman, Selina Kyle (?) costume... I thought Hathaways hair was (a) way too long and straight, (b) not dark enough, the goggle ears were (c) kind of ridiculous, though admittedly an interesting design, and the claw heels were (d) off for the entire look and finally, (e) I've never seen a past performance prove to me Hathaway was deserving enough to play Selina... but I've concluded- all of those things either don't bother me as much anymore or I've changed my mind over these past few months- the thing that truly bothers me the absolute most... is Anne Hathaway's face.

I know that could sound kind of mean and/or ridiculous... and it's obviously not that Hathaway is unattractive. Because that's ludicrous. I just despise seeing her in the Catwoman role. Period. And that's just stupid. So I'm going to get over it. I'm going to show up for the midnight showing (probably) on July 17th with not a doubt in my mind that I'll be entertained- and just dismiss any fanboyisms that I have.

Nolan better not screw this up :-)
    Last edited by TheCatBoy; 04-18-2012 at 08:39 AM.

I honestly don't like any of the costumes in this movie, especially Bane. I'll still watch it though since it's Batman of course...
    Pull-list: Action Comics, Batman, Superior Spider-Man, Flash, Daredevil, Ms Marvel, Silver Surfer, Thor: God of Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by Choppa View Post
    The ears double as goggles.
    I know, I've seen the pictures. I meant I wish her cat ears/costume was more similiar to Cooke's design. As I figured it would have translated nicely in the Nolan movies.