Default How come the orginal goblins never consider joining the Sinister Six?

Is it true the original Green Goblin declined the offer? The only goblin who joined the team was Jason Macendale.

edit - I'm surprised it didn't enter Kingsley's mind to join a team to crush spider-man.
    Last edited by Fanofthegoblins; 04-12-2012 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanofthegoblins View Post
    Is it true the original Green Goblin declined the offer? The only goblin who joined the team was Jason Macendale.

edit - I'm surprised it didn't enter Kingsley's mind to join a team to crush spider-man.
    Remember that all six members of the original Sinister Six had been captured and unmasked by Spider-Man, so Doc Ock knew who they were and how to find them, but the Green Goblin escaped scott-free from his first encounter with Spider-Man, remaining anonymous. Even if Ock had wanted to recruit the Green Goblin, where was he gonna find him?

Meanwhile, Kingsley was not active as the Hobgoblin while any incarnation of the Sinister Six was around.
    Who are Spider-Man's Greatest Villains? Find out here!

The Green Goblin's ego is what I think prevented him from joining the Sinister Six. He'd want to crush Spider-Man on his own and not have to share the glory with anyone. Plus, he was feeling pretty confident with himself at that time, since he'd beaten Spider-Man (alongside the Human Torch, no less) by making him seemingly run away after that fight at the Spider-Man Fan Club (ASM Vol.1, #17). Even though we, the readers, know it didn't go down exactly like that at the time, that's how Norman Osborn saw it. Rob London also mentions a good point. All of the other Sinister Six's secret identities were known, both to the police and the public. But how was Doc Ock going to contact an unknown cackling lunatic on a glider? Would he even want to? And as we later see, the Green Goblin doesn't really play well with others (see the Crime-Master).

As for Roderick Kingsley, I don't think he'd ever outright join the Sinister Six. The Sinister Six is composed of villains who all want revenge on Spider-Man. Kingsley would be just as content if he never saw Spider-Man again; he doesn't really go looking for Spidey, Spidey finds him. Sure, he'd kill Spider-Man if he could or if Spidey got in his way, but only because it'd be a good business decision for him. The only way I could see Kingsley joining the Sinister Six in some fashion would be if he used a dupe (Like he did with Ned Leeds when he formed a partnership with the Rose) OR if they had something he wanted or needed. Basically, he'd play them til he got what he wanted, and then would most likely cut out the minute the opportunity arose.
    "Seriously, where's the Hobgoblin when you need him?"--Peter Parker, Amazing Spider-Man Annual #36

"I'm being ignored more than Roderick Kingsley"--Me.
    "Dorkiest joke ever. Use it at parties."--Steve Wacker (AKA J Jonah Wacker).

Isn't there some story (not the original) that revealed that Green Goblin turned down Doc Ock's invitation to the first Sinister Six?

Quote Originally Posted by derekakadrock View Post
    Isn't there some story (not the original) that revealed that Green Goblin turned down Doc Ock's invitation to the first Sinister Six?
    I know they mentioned that in "Spider-Man: The Ultimate Guide" (it also said Dr.Doom turned them down), but I don't know what story it was actually mentioned in.
    "Seriously, where's the Hobgoblin when you need him?"--Peter Parker, Amazing Spider-Man Annual #36

Quote Originally Posted by Billium 3 View Post
    The Green Goblin's ego is what I think prevented him from joining the Sinister Six. He'd want to crush Spider-Man on his own and not have to share the glory with anyone. Plus, he was feeling pretty confident with himself at that time, since he'd beaten Spider-Man (alongside the Human Torch, no less) by making him seemingly run away after that fight at the Spider-Man Fan Club (ASM Vol.1, #17). Even though we, the readers, know it didn't go down exactly like that at the time, that's how Norman Osborn saw it. Rob London also mentions a good point. All of the other Sinister Six's secret identities were known, both to the police and the public. But how was Doc Ock going to contact an unknown cackling lunatic on a glider?
    Mechanical broomstick - the Sinister Six story was released between Amazing Spider-Man #15-16.

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    Mechanical broomstick - the Sinister Six story was released between Amazing Spider-Man #15-16.
    I was always under the impression the annual hit around issue 18, but upon futher inspection of a bullpen page in ASM #17, it mentions it'd been out for a few weeks. Seems you were correct.

Ego is definitely the answer in both situations.

And you could also file it under ego, but you have to remember the original motivation of the Green Goblin. He wasn't after money or revenge, he was trying to make a name for himself which would let him control all crime in the city. Joining the sinister six might have enabled him to defeat Spider-Man, but (at least at that point) defeating Spider-Man was the means to an end, not the end in itself.
    When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.-C.S.Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Billium 3 View Post
    The Green Goblin's ego is what I think prevented him from joining the Sinister Six. He'd want to crush Spider-Man on his own and not have to share the glory with anyone. Plus, he was feeling pretty confident with himself at that time, since he'd beaten Spider-Man (alongside the Human Torch, no less) by making him seemingly run away after that fight at the Spider-Man Fan Club (ASM Vol.1, #17). Even though we, the readers, know it didn't go down exactly like that at the time, that's how Norman Osborn saw it. Rob London also mentions a good point. All of the other Sinister Six's secret identities were known, both to the police and the public. But how was Doc Ock going to contact an unknown cackling lunatic on a glider? Would he even want to? And as we later see, the Green Goblin doesn't really play well with others (see the Crime-Master).

As for Roderick Kingsley, I don't think he'd ever outright join the Sinister Six. The Sinister Six is composed of villains who all want revenge on Spider-Man. Kingsley would be just as content if he never saw Spider-Man again; he doesn't really go looking for Spidey, Spidey finds him. Sure, he'd kill Spider-Man if he could or if Spidey got in his way, but only because it'd be a good business decision for him. The only way I could see Kingsley joining the Sinister Six in some fashion would be if he used a dupe (Like he did with Ned Leeds when he formed a partnership with the Rose) OR if they had something he wanted or needed. Basically, he'd play them til he got what he wanted, and then would most likely cut out the minute the opportunity arose.
    This post by Billium hit it right on the head. Norman is too cocky to follow orders from Ock. While Norman's not above using others to torture or kill Spider-Man, he is no one's second fiddle. If he is to be on a team to kill Spidey, he very well better be the leader of that operation.

To Kingsley (before his arrest at least), Spider-Man is little more than a pest, he's simply an annoyance. Kingsley would be the type to compare Spidey to the annoying paperboy who throws the newspaper in his prized flower garden. Nothing more than an annoyance, no REAL personal grudge; at least not compared to Osborn, Brock, Octavius, or the Sinister Six crew . Sure if Kingsley could kill the pest (paperboy or Spidey) he would, but he won't go above, beyond, and out of his way to do it. The Sinister Six was formed because Ock wanted Spider-Man specifically targeted. Kingsley wouldn't waste his time on that stuff, he has much bigger goals than simply beating Spider-Man.

The other thing to remember is timing. The Six didn't appear for, what, thirty years after their first mission? Pretty much all of Kingsly's entire criminal career had already taken place by then.

Quote Originally Posted by E. Wilson View Post
    The other thing to remember is timing. The Six didn't appear for, what, thirty years after their first mission? Pretty much all of Kingsly's entire criminal career had already taken place by then.
    Exactly. By the time Ock started up the Six again, Kingsley had retired the first time and Norman was "dead". The reason why the original Goblins aren't apart of the Six was the same reason Eddie Brock only joined once. They never play well with others unless they're the ones leading. Norman would be second guessing Otto every chance he could take and try and takeover the leadership role.

Kingsley would never join unless he profited from it somehow and also would try to undermine Otto. Hence why every single time Doc Ock formed a Sinister Six it was one made up of people he could control toward a common goal. When Sandman formed one he made the great mistake of allowing Venom on the team and paid for it. Same goes for Macendale when he formed his Sinister team that tried to kill Kaine. It all went to hell since they all second guessed him with Mysterio leading the way and undermining him.
    Behold, I shall be a blight upon the land, and everything I touch shall wither and die!

Sooooo, Norman Osborn-organized Sinister Twelve not counting on thread?

I wanna hear you scream Kevinroc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    Sooooo, Norman Osborn-organized Sinister Twelve not counting on thread?
    Well, they didn't really "fight" Spider-Man so much as the other super heroes pulled Spidey's butt out of that particular fire.
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Well, they didn't really "fight" Spider-Man so much as the other super heroes pulled Spidey's butt out of that particular fire.
    That, and Norman didn't join the team, he formed it (as over the top as the Sinister Twelve was, but that's Norman's style, alright). So he was the boss and the brains of that outfit, no question about it. Had they managed to defeat Spider-Man, the major credit would have gone to Norman.

Sure, Norman would have had to share a little of the credit (Or at least, the other members would have claimed some credit), but in his warped mind, it would have been all thanks to him, the others just being the weapon he used in his would-be masterpiece to kill Spidey.

Plus this thread is about the Sinister Six, not the Sinister Twelve. Haha!

Senior Member FirestormTheNuclearMan's Avatar

Green Goblin (Norman Osborn) He didn't join the Sinister Six because he won't take orders, it would be admitting he needs help to get rid of the wallcrawler, and Green Goblin would be underminning Doctor Octopus.