View Poll Results: Would you buy a Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld book?

Voters
105. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes!!!

51 48.57%
  • Maybe, depends on the artist, writer, etc

38 36.19%
  • No u

16 15.24%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I believe "plot" is more the idea, not necessarily the dialogue and other actual words you read.
    k, so, why dont they have the writer also be the plotter, you know...like actual literature

Maybe Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld would work in the new multiverse. Gemworld could be Earth 9 or something like that. Might be a way to get her out there. I really wish that DC would put out a monthly ongoing series about the multiverse. Having it be 5 or so stories (possible shorts), maybe even some rotating stories taking turns bimonthly in the comic. Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld could be on of the stories. That book could really cover alot of ground, and include plenty of characters not currently covered. I would call the book "Multiverse Comics".

At the very least DC has made it possible for characters like Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld to have a story has some point via the new National Comics or DC Presents.

Quote Originally Posted by Reginleif View Post
    k, so, why dont they have the writer also be the plotter, you know...like actual literature
    Some comic books do.

But comic books are often a more collaborative effort than "actual literature", where one person writes the stuff and maybe works with just an editor to get it published. In a comic book, you're grinding these things out on a tight schedule, and you have writer, artists, editors, and others involved at different stages. You may also have one guy who comes up with the original idea, but not enough time to do all the actual writing of it.

(And, yes, you did have some literature that was serialized, like stuff by Dickens, but he was the person who chose to come up with the stuff and would have a say on what happens if he has scheduling problems. Comic books are work-for-hire, and writers and artists may be replaced to keep things closer on schedule or for various other reasons, unless those writers / artists actually own the rights to those characters.)
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 04-13-2012 at 07:12 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Some comic books do.

But comic books are often a more collaborative effort than "actual literature", where one person writes the stuff and maybe works with just an editor to get it published. In a comic book, you're grinding these things out on a tight schedule, and you have writer, artists, editors, and others involved at different stages. You may also have one guy who comes up with the original idea, but not enough time to do all the actual writing of it.
    do the silicates say if a book is plotted by someone else? I would be interested in seeing if any of my books are.

do the silicates say if a book is plotted by someone else? I would be interested in seeing if any of my books are.
    It probably varies depending upon involvement of other people.

("silicates"? You humanoids use such puzzling terminology some times.)

it happens very often
    like what happen with Dark Knight, plotted by Finch but wrote by Jenkins

also Kyle Higgings did a pretty good job writing project superman, they also worked the same way with Gates of Gotham
    Check out the Comicfrontline
    The Self-destruction of New 52 FINAL PART
    Click here
    Check out Batwatchhttp://batwatch.net/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ArnoldoAAD View Post
    it happens very often
    like what happen with Dark Knight, plotted by Finch but wrote by Jenkins

also Kyle Higgings did a pretty good job writing project superman, they also worked the same way with Gates of Gotham
    I can understand why this might be necessary for events and allowing comfy landings when writers switch and if a a plotter and writer can work together well in a team that's fine too, but are not the most renown comic books those without plotters? Like Animal Man? I imagine major events heavily rely on plotting, and yet, they are never received warmly by all consumers like Snyder's Batman, Swamp Thing, or American Vampire.

In the case of Project Superman, I believe the reason was that Snyder had planned to write it, but then they said 'hey, wanna write Swamp Thing?' and he really did, but didn't have time to do that, Batman, American Vampire AND Project Superman, so he handed the plot to someone else to finish. But everything that happened was his idea, it's just that it was organized into a panels/pages and fleshed out by someone else (his name escapes me at the moment, but it wasn't Higgins) Snyder also seems to be pretty big on trying to help new writers get a foothold in the industry, and he does that by having them co-write stuff with him.

Comics with a plotter and a scripter are the minority, most comics are plotted and scripted by the same person. There are some established writing teams, like DnA and Palmiotti and Gray, and some people (like Liefeld) who frequently work with a scripter, or sometimes an artist will have an idea but not know how to structure it into a story and/or suck at dialogue, and will seek help from an actual writer, (i am doing this myself) but they are outnumbered by writers who do both. If a comic is plotted and scripted by different people, it is generally solicited or at least credited that way.
    Last edited by Raye; 04-14-2012 at 04:55 AM.

a curious wanderer OBrianTallent's Avatar

I would be so happy to see another Amethyst series done by a good creative team. Amy Reeder's style certainly would fit Amethyst and I dont know if he gets her or not, but I completely agree that Mike Carey would be great on said book as well.
    Not all who wander are lost....

BANNED

SOON

I am new to the character. I read the Wiki page but i have a hard time understanding how the book works, feels, etc.
    1) Is it adventurous, dark, campy?
    2) Does it focus on her normal life on earth, or is she a full time adventurer in Gemworld?
    3) What's the theme of the book?

Stuff like that. Can anyone fill me in?

I'm super happy by the news. I can't wait to hear more about this new ongoing and the title sounds awesome, Swords and Sorcery. I can't wait to see the first cover!!!!! DC listened to the fans!!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    I am new to the character. I read the Wiki page but i have a hard time understanding how the book works, feels, etc.
    1) Is it adventurous, dark, campy?
    2) Does it focus on her normal life on earth, or is she a full time adventurer in Gemworld?
    3) What's the theme of the book?

Stuff like that. Can anyone fill me in?
    I actually have not read the book, but I plan to get the Showcase in September.

The creative team for Sword and Sorcery has been announced:

"Sword of Sorcery" is a new epic fantasy series anchored by an "Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld" serial by writer Christy Marx and artist Aaron Lopresti with a "Beowulf" back-up story written by Tony Bedard with art by Jesus Saiz.
    I'm pretty disappointed they didn't get Renae De Liz on art chores.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    The creative team for Sword and Sorcery has been announced:

I'm pretty disappointed they didn't get Renae De Liz on art chores.
    Lopresti is a big name for something like Amethyst. The guy drew Wonder Woman for several years among other things. DC's probably hoping he'll be something of a draw. And given his bright, clean style I can't imagine the story being too dark.