Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Wolverine and Spiderman

Inedia is the supposed ability that some people have to survive for many years without food.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inedia

So I wondered, how long can superheroes like Wolverine and Spiderman live without food?

Will Wolverine or Spiderman starve to death eventually if there was no food for them to eat for the rest of their life?
    Last edited by computer man; 04-11-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Technically, Logan should be able to eat himself and survive with his healing factor regrow what he cuts off.

If he's not allowed to do that, I guess his healing factor keeps him alive longer than a normal person but he should die eventually.

Spidey, however would die a lot quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Holacik View Post
    Technically, Logan should be able to eat himself and survive with his healing factor regrow what he cuts off.

If he's not allowed to do that, I guess his healing factor keeps him alive longer than a normal person but he should die eventually.

And what about Superman and Captain Marvel?

I think Superman should be able to survive without food for centuries or even millenia because Superman gets all his energy from the yellow sun radiation. Captain Marvel could indefinitely survive without food as well because his powers are magical in nature.

All Captain Marvel needs to say is "Shazam" and Walla, he doesn't need food, air and water anymore, for an infinite amount of time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shazam_(character)
    Last edited by computer man; 04-11-2012 at 06:54 PM.

But I'm sure this will cause Logan a lot of pain.

Yeah poor Spidey. Unless Spidey is also a Breatharian, then I don't see how he could go on a long time without food and drink. But Breatharianism was never mentioned as one of Spiderman's classic abilities.
    Last edited by computer man; 04-11-2012 at 09:07 PM.

Ninja of the Deep Hours TheLastSamurai...on this block's Avatar

Technically, Logan should be able to eat himself and survive with his healing factor regrow what he cuts off...
    and then he turns into Wendigo?
    If any style teaches you a method of fighting, then you might be able to fight according to the limit of that method, but that is not actually fighting. -Bruce Lee

DOOM DEMANDS MORE NACHOS!

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastSamurai...on this block View Post
    and then he turns into Wendigo?
    Many in Marvel would say that this would improve both his temperament and his personal hygiene.

Wolverine is tough. Wolverine survived much tougher realities and enemies and has healed from extreme injuries and survived deadly toxins like being poisoned by Eric the red in the space station and fighting the Shi'ar in the vacuum of space. He's still an X-Man and I think he will survive without food and water. Hunger will not defeat him without a fight.

According to Wikipedia, the only way to kill Wolverine is to seperate his head from his body so he could no longer regenerate. But it is very very difficult to decapitate Wolverine since he is a skilled and strong fighter with superfast reflexes, superhuman agility and a very strong sense of smell and his entire spine is covered with Adamantium so it's very difficult to decapitate his spine.
    Last edited by computer man; 04-11-2012 at 11:45 PM.

There's a voice, that keeps on calling me....

Good to know. Thanks.

o_0
    Yes, I know the voices aren't real. But they do have some VERY good ideas....

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Oh, and I'd say Batman is more the de facto leader of the JL than Supes is, just to finish my deconstruction. Due to, you know, being really, really smart and never forgetting what his abilities really are.
    Superman is much much smarter than Batman. Superman has a superhuman memory and can read whole books and remember all the information in them in less than 1 second. He did this a lot in the TV series Lois & Clark when he was searching for evidence.

Batman is only a normal human at peak physical condition. Batman doesn't have any superhuman powers because he relies excessively on his wealth and on technology so he stands absolutely no chance against vastly super-powered beings like Superman, Martian Manhunter or maybe even Flash who can move really really fast, maybe even faster than light.

Also Flash would stand a very good chance, via speed-steal and IMP. And Martian Manhunter could shut Supes' brain down.
    Flash still doesn't stand a chance against Superman in my opinion, no matter how fast he is. Superman has heat vision, invulnerability, flight, incredible strength and vortex breath and all those abilities Flash is really lacking. Flash only has incredible speed, that is all but Superman has more incredible abilities.

Martian Manhunter on the hand maybe could shut Superman's brain down but definitely not immediately. J'onn J'onzz still has a major weakness and his weakness is fire. J'onn J'onzz is afraid of fire. Fire on the hand, has nothing on Superman. Superman's heat vision is fire and Superman can shut down Martian Manhunter's brain too with his heat vision before J'onn J'onzz is quick enough to shut down his.

Besides it was never stated in Wikipedia that J'onn J'onzz capabilities like his superstrength, invulnerability and his super-breath are on par with that of Superman. According to what I understood, his abilities only come close to that of Superman's but they do not rival or even equal that of Superman's.

In my opinion, Superman is still the most powerful of all the Justice League members. Martian Manhunter comes seriously close to Superman but is not quite there yet in my opinion.
    Last edited by computer man; 04-12-2012 at 02:17 AM.

There's a voice, that keeps on calling me....

*sigh*

I really shouldn't be getting into this, because it's ludicrously off-topic (and weirdly in a different thread completely from where I made that quote, where it was still off-topic), but still.....

Quote Originally Posted by computer man View Post
    Superman is much much smarter than Batman.
    No. He really isn't.

Superman has a superhuman memory and can read whole books and remember all the information in them in less than 1 second. He did this a lot in the TV series Lois & Clark when he was searching for evidence.
    This is all true. But that doesn't make him smarter. Supes may know stuff that he's memorised, but he's nowhere near as good as Bruce at utilising that knowledge to formulate a strategy, to develop technology, to investigate etc, etc. Bruce is smarter.

Batman is only a normal human at peak physical condition.
    Well, I wouldn't say "normal", but I'm not going to quibble on that. He has no superpowers. You're right on that.

Batman doesn't have any superhuman powers because he relies excessively on his wealth and on technology
    Technology, I would add, that he designed and built himself. Technology that enables him, despite his lack of superpowers, to be able to defeat foes significantly more powerful than himself. This? This is smarts.

so he stands absolutely no chance against vastly super-powered beings like Superman, Martian Manhunter or maybe even Flash who can move really really fast, maybe even faster than light.
    I never said he could! Where did I suggest he could beat them? I said he was smarter than Superman. That's very, very different. In a fight they would destroy him. Utterly. In a femtosecond.

Oh, and "Flash who can move really really fast, maybe even faster than light"? Flash travels at speeds probably BILLIONS of times faster than light. Lightspeed is equivalent to him barely even moving.

Flash still doesn't stand a chance against Superman in my opinion, no matter how fast he is. Superman has heat vision, invulnerability, flight, incredible strength and vortex breath and all those abilities Flash is really lacking. Flash only has incredible speed, that is all but Superman has more incredible abilities.
    Flash can steal all of Superman's speed. All of it. Leaving Superman as a statue. Whether he can hurt him is debatable, but a good IMP is going to hurt. A lot.

Martian Manhunter on the hand maybe could shut Superman's brain down but definitely not immediately. J'onn J'onzz still has a major weakness and his weakness is fire. J'onn J'onzz is afraid of fire. Fire on the hand, has nothing on Superman. Superman's heat vision is fire and Superman can shut down Martian Manhunter's brain too with his heat vision before J'onn J'onzz is quick enough to shut down his.
    Superman's heat vision is not fire. It is heat. Big difference. If I'm lying on a beach, sun-tanning, I am feeling heat. I am not on fire.

But if they were fighting in a burning building, Supes would have an advantage. But that's a weird analogy, because Superman's weakness, Kryptonite, is nothing to Martian Manhunter. So if they're fighting in a room full of Kryptonite, MM would have an advantage. A bigger one. Because J'onn's been known to overcome his fear of fire, whereas Kryptonite basically screws Supes up. You can't stack the odds like that and apply one person's weakness to a situation just to make a point on who you want to win. Doesn't work like that.

Besides it was never stated in Wikipedia that J'onn J'onzz capabilities like his superstrength, invulnerability and his super-breath are on par with that of Superman. According to what I understood, his abilities only come close to that of Superman's but they do not rival or even equal that of Superman's.
    Wikipedia is not a source of info we use. Comics (or other media original presentations) are. And I never said he was as strong or invulnerable, or that his super-breath was on a par (although in truth, they are comparable).

But him being invulnerable does not stop MM from turning him into a gibbering pot-plant, intellectually speaking, using his telepathy.

In my opinion, Superman is still the most powerful of all the Justice League members. Martian Manhunter comes seriously close to Superman but is not quite there yet in my opinion.
    Ah, opinion. Good.

Trouble is, we don't really use opinion. We use feats. Directly presented, high-end feats from the way the characters have consistently been portrayed.

Anyhoo, back to your scheduled programming on whether Wolverine (with a massive plot-devicey healing factor to keep him alive) or Spider-man (with just a somewhat-enhanced degree of durability) would survive longer without food.

(None of which involves Superman, Flash, Martian Manhunter or any DC character whatsoever.)
    Yes, I know the voices aren't real. But they do have some VERY good ideas....

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Huh... odd.

Let's see how things went when J'onn took his PIS hat off and actually went for Superman seriously...

Hmm... phased into a table a reduced to a near catatonic state.

Yes, clearly Superman is the superior fighter here.
    Nik Hasta: "I'm not a ninja dammit!"

Respect the Mamudo Children!
    Follow me on Tumblr!

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Huh... odd.

Let's see how things went when J'onn took his PIS hat off and actually went for Superman seriously...

Hmm... phased into a table a reduced to a near catatonic state.

Yes, clearly Superman is the superior fighter here.
    Excellent!

A Thinking Man's Rhino Omegalith's Avatar

Well no, then he'd be burning more energy healing the damage than he gained from digesting the meat.

He might be able to last a long time on healing alone, but that would just be counterproductive idiocy.

And yes, I'm aware he's actually done this at least once, but no one ever claimed Logan was a biologist.
    A Flock of Sheep.
    A Pack of Wolves.
    An Inconvenience of Heroes.

DOOM DEMANDS MORE NACHOS!

Quote Originally Posted by Omegalith View Post
    Well no, then he'd be burning more energy healing the damage than he gained from digesting the meat.

He might be able to last a long time on healing alone, but that would just be counterproductive idiocy.

And yes, I'm aware he's actually done this at least once, but no one ever claimed Logan was a biologist.
    Plus, Logan's healing factor has absolutely nothing to to do with the calories he has hanging around in his system. He's been reduced to a shiny metal skeleton and come back in minutes. There was no food source, and certainly no stored fats or carbohydrates or proteins on those gleaming bones.

And Logan's about the least ridiculous hero in fiction in terms of energy sources -

Superman somehow, based on a skin surface of a couple of square feet, absorbs enough solar energy to power half the planet. Did anyone ever see him eating 600 tons of tenderloin per day to get a fraction of the calories he'd need to accelerate to half the speed of light, much less well beyond it? No? Me neither.

Magneto has manipulated energies sufficient to change the entire Earth's magnetic field. He reached out across untold distances and grabbed a planet-killer "bullet" moving at relativistic velocities for months, and brought it back to earth at even /higher/ speeds, since it only took him a couple of days tops. He didn't have a fleet of merchant vessels bringing him the crop and livestock supplies of Asia and Europe to keep him fueled up.

Pretty much the silliest thing in comics is "where does all this power come from?" "Punch dimension? Sure, why not. Now GOML ZARK."

Superman only eats food out of habit, he doesn't actually need it as long as he's being exposed to a yellow sun. Just thought I'd note that.

I'm not really sure how anyone could claim he's the most powerful league member though. Maybe if you took Flash off the team he could be one of the most powerful, but he wouldn't actually out power everyone. The claim that he's the strongest is pretty much as outrageous as the claims he is too overpowered.

Unless you meant PC Superman, in which sure it could be argued he's the strongest league member.
    Last edited by Surtur; 04-12-2012 at 07:13 AM.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.