Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The dialogue in America’s Got Powers #1 is too dense!

I found this book just okay, mostly because there was too much talking. I like a good story, but the concept isn't that complex, nor the characters. Does it need to be Shakespeare?!

I felt the erroneous dialogue also hindered Hitch's art.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

So buy or no?

I have so many other series to drain the bank on, is it really worth it?
    Pull List: Saga, Danger Club, Invincible, Chew, Animal Man, Aquaman, Supergirl, Earth 2, Dancer, The Flash, TWD, Before Watchmen, Harbinger, and Swamp Thing

I say 2 out of 5. If you are tight on money and love all the series you already get then just pass this by. If you have a lil' extra change try it out.
    Last edited by IsaiahPLG; 04-12-2012 at 10:57 PM.
    Check out this sweet comic coming in 2013!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Throwb...889?ref=stream

I'd say pass. I won't be buying issue #2. It basically stole from the Hunger Games and gave the kids powers. I thought the dialogue was bad as well. I did think the art was pretty good, but mostly what I've come to expect from Hitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskie View Post
    I'd say pass. I won't be buying issue #2. It basically stole from the Hunger Games and gave the kids powers. I thought the dialogue was bad as well. I did think the art was pretty good, but mostly what I've come to expect from Hitch.
    I don't think it's fair to critisize for ripping off a well-worn premise. Before Hunger Games there was Battle Royale and before that The Running Man, etc etc at least back to The Most Dangerous Game back in the early 1920s. At this point it's more about execution of the premise than the premise's originality.

As far as this stacks up, I have no idea. I skipped it for Secret.
    Omactivate! RIP

Attention! Invading alien scum! I am Bentley, scourge of man, destroyer of hope, and I also have a passing interest in dinosaurs -- Prepare to surrender now!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    So buy or no?

I have so many other series to drain the bank on, is it really worth it?
    I'd say wait for the second issue. Once that's out we'll have a better gauge of what the book is trying to do. I reviewed it at the link below.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

that seems like good advice. I enjoyed it, but yeah I'm not really sure exactly what its setting up.

Seems like a mix between Hunger Games and Rising Stars (OMG it just took me FOREVER to remember that).

Given the state of everything else out there, i may just give this enough of shot to at least see where its going. The blend of reality TV and corporate betwork bigwigs mucking around is also intriguing.
    ------------------------
    Read: Savage Dragon, Invincible, X-Factor, Suicide Squad, The Massive, Scarlet Spider, Extermination, Trio, Danger Club & Atomic Robo

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    I'd say wait for the second issue. Once that's out we'll have a better gauge of what the book is trying to do. I reviewed it at the link below.
    Thanks. I bookmarked your site for quick reviews.

I may just buy the trade because it is a mini anyway.
    Pull List: Saga, Danger Club, Invincible, Chew, Animal Man, Aquaman, Supergirl, Earth 2, Dancer, The Flash, TWD, Before Watchmen, Harbinger, and Swamp Thing

BANNED

Easy pass. Poor dialog and recycled Reality TV show to the death premise. It is EXACTLY the story you would expect from the premise, minus any creativity that your own imagination might have assumed to be present in such a major release. It's so by-the-numbers, it makes Mark Millar's worst vanity project work look deep and introspective. This comic wouldn't have made a blip on anyone's radar if not for the art. Based solely on the story, this comic deserves to be overlooked unless you are just such a huge Hitch fan that you simply must have your bi-annual dose of Hitch art. The comic's luster shines even dimmer compared to what Image has released this year alone. It manages to be even worse that Hell Yeah!, while actually being just a little more predictable.

I liked it, it was fun. The art alone is more than it's 2.99 worth. wow! The dialogue was very light. I took me about 10 minutes to read the whole thing. I can't fathom how anyone could've struggled to read through this.
    X-Poster of the Month: July 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelPaytonMZ View Post
    Easy pass. Poor dialog and recycled Reality TV show to the death premise. It is EXACTLY the story you would expect from the premise, minus any creativity that your own imagination might have assumed to be present in such a major release. It's so by-the-numbers, it makes Mark Millar's worst vanity project work look deep and introspective. This comic wouldn't have made a blip on anyone's radar if not for the art. Based solely on the story, this comic deserves to be overlooked unless you are just such a huge Hitch fan that you simply must have your bi-annual dose of Hitch art. The comic's luster shines even dimmer compared to what Image has released this year alone. It manages to be even worse that Hell Yeah!, while actually being just a little more predictable.
    I'd agree with you on most counts, but a story, at least with comics, takes 2 issues to really understand the vision I think. We'll see.

Wow. I had the exact opposite reaction to all y'all. I thought this was a great setting-up/world-building first issue. The dialogue felt naturalistic to me and gave me a good sense of the characters and their relationships.

Sure, it didn't really hit any beats that other stories hadn't done before; I'm especially sick of the whole 'behind the facade, the state-approved superhero team are a bunch of A-holes' trope. But I did like that the main P.O.V. character was a seemingly underpowered underdog, and that he was unequivocally heroic.

And, as an unabashed Hunger Games fanatic, I have no problem with this premise. A) It's not like HG (or Battle Royale, or Running Man, or Gamer, or Series 7, or...) is a wholly original premise. B) The idea of the same basic premise done with superheroes is pretty darn cool.
    "Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day."

Hunger Games like totally copied the Roman Empire's games from 2012+ years ago.
    X-Poster of the Month: July 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

Quote Originally Posted by MartinRedmond View Post
    Hunger Games like totally copied the Roman Empire's games from 2012+ years ago.
    Julius Caesar should totally, like, sue Suzanne Collins and Lionsgate!

It occurs to me that I didn't mention the art. It's Hitch, so of course it's very epic and 'cinematic', but I was pleased at how bright and colorful it was as well.

OTOH, they are pulling the old celebrity lookalike trick, which I hate. Senator Handler is obviously Sarah Palin, and Professor Syell is David Tennent, especially in his close-up on page 15.
    "Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day."

I thought it was an awesome first issue. Yes, there was a lot of dialogue, but maybe it just seemed that way since it was a double-sized issue? The art, of course, is amazing. Maybe the idea has been used before, but really, nothing is 100% original anymore.