Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I haven't finished watching Brotherhood, but so far I like it more than the first one. They are both amazing though but I think Brotherhood is a little bit better.

Transformers Animated fan

I'll go with the first one. The first was more intimate and heartwrenching than the latter. Unlike the latter series, the first Full Metal Alchemist actually dwelt on complex topics such as redemption, humanity, forgiveness, sacrifice and others.

And the brothers(as well as the people around them) truly went through heart breaking ordeals in the first series. It's a series where you don't really know whether it was a victory or defeat because it seemed they truly obtained everything through equivalent exchange.

For every victory, they had to sacrifice so much.
    Sometimes you lose things which you don't expect losing. It doesn't make the hurt any less.

I actually like both the same cause they are so different. Each one appeals to a different part of me. Brotherhood is more faithful to the manga and I love the manga but I really do admire how the first anime went in its own direction and did its own thing without suffering in quality

the demon king rules master of read's Avatar

my vote goes to brotherhood for one reason: scar. in the first anime, he was kinda a murderous asshole who just couldnt let go of his hate for the state. understandable but doesnt give him much in the way of depth and complexity. in the end, he just died killing state troopers.

brotherhood scar, while starting on the same road as the first one, became a better character. he started out the same, killing state alchemists but soon realized that his path was wrong. that senseless murder and revenge wasnt worth it. he actively sought redemption from everyone and you believed it. it was scar who put his balls on the line to stop the promised day.

and the villains were great too. dante felt flat for me. only wanting the stone simply to live forever didnt seem to fit the grand nature of the plans. father, otoh, seemed like a more grand scheme guy. all the plans and alliances he was creating through his creation, his connection to homenhim, his overall presence just felt better than dante and her selfish crap.
    COCAINE IS MY GOD AND I AM THE LIVING INSTRUMENT OF ITS WILL!!
    snowflame, new guardians #2
    wanna make some quick cash?

master of read:

my vote goes to brotherhood for one reason: scar. in the first anime, he was kinda a murderous asshole who just couldnt let go of his hate for the state. understandable but doesnt give him much in the way of depth and complexity. in the end, he just died killing state troopers.

brotherhood scar, while starting on the same road as the first one, became a better character. he started out the same, killing state alchemists but soon realized that his path was wrong. that senseless murder and revenge wasnt worth it. he actively sought redemption from everyone and you believed it. it was scar who put his balls on the line to stop the promised day.

and the villains were great too. dante felt flat for me. only wanting the stone simply to live forever didnt seem to fit the grand nature of the plans. father, otoh, seemed like a more grand scheme guy. all the plans and alliances he was creating through his creation, his connection to homenhim, his overall presence just felt better than dante and her selfish crap.
    Agreed & co-signd...Scar was truely d break-out xcter IMO who quickly bcam our/SZ favorite on both shows of course FMA denied d xcter any meaningful progressive development by killing him off.

Luvd Brotherhood betta bcuz SCAR lived & go 2 b able 2 use both hands where 1 constructs & d other destructs...FMA just killed him off in dat town ritual sacrifice thingy he was trying 2 do against d troops.

Kinda wish Scar got his own spin-off show but knowing Anime. & dark skinnd male leads...well............
    Last edited by SilverZeal; 08-12-2012 at 02:40 PM.

Note: While I'm not saying that it he's better than his Brotherhood version, Original Anime Scar didn't die just for the sake of killing those soldiers. Scar died to give the Elric brothers a Philosopher's Stone (out of respect and admiration for the bond between them letting him make peace with his memories of his own brother) without them having to kill a ton of people, using a bunch of people that were basically Nazis invading/pillaging a city. And his interaction with Lust prior to his death was pretty poignant as well.
    Fox Mr. Sinister (holding Rogue's chin): "So beautiful, yet so strong."

Fox Wolverine: "Well, I always did think I was kinda cute. Nice of you to mention it."

Official Board Ostrichizer

Animation & Illustration

Wow. wrong thread, how did that happen.

Brotherhood rules. Original series ending was nowhere near as good.
    Last edited by Inkthinker; 08-13-2012 at 09:05 AM.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read"- Groucho Marx

Illustration Gallery
    2D Animation Studio

I don't care how good the original anime is: Brotherhood stays true to the manga, which I say makes it superior on principle.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

the demon king rules master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I don't care how good the original anime is: Brotherhood stays true to the manga, which I say makes it superior on principle.
    true that. just a better overall experience
    COCAINE IS MY GOD AND I AM THE LIVING INSTRUMENT OF ITS WILL!!
    snowflame, new guardians #2
    wanna make some quick cash?

Brotherhood wins for the fact that Lin is automatic win and Greed/Ling is double automatic win on steroids.....

Though I did like first anime Envy better and the last fight between Greed and Ed is still one of my favorite anime fights.

I liked Brotherhood better due to how evil and badass they made King Bradley. Also when it comes to Scar as I felt it provide him a better character arc. The first anime is good due to Envy being the better villain there than Brotherhood and I didn't mind that they took more liberties with that than Brotherhood
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

CBR Dark Tourny Master Robotech Master's Avatar
    On an Abh Battleship, somewhere in the Aptic System

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    I liked Brotherhood better due to how evil and badass they made King Bradley. Also when it comes to Scar as I felt it provide him a better character arc. The first anime is good due to Envy being the better villain there than Brotherhood and I didn't mind that they took more liberties with that than Brotherhood
    The Envy thing is kinda apples to oranges IMO. They pretty much had to make Envy more interesting in the first anime because they planned to put so much emphasis on him. The manga never put Envy on that high a pedestal, so he never needed to be more than "that evil guy who killed Roy's friend."

While the first anime's original twist with Envy was interesting, I also felt like the presentation came off as terribly retcon-ish. As in, like something they never even considered while working on the first 30+ episodes and decided on while working on the last 20.

As for Bradley, yeah, his manga version is pretty engaging. I always thought it was interesting how he emphasized his relationship with his wife, her being the one aspect of his life that he had chosen of his own free will.
    "It's your parting gift. In that it will part you; part of you over here, part of you over there, part of you way over there, staining the wall!" Lord Shen

Your Hero's Favorite Hero Jay Dogg's Avatar

I like Brotherhood slightly better, but I love the fact that the first one was wrapped up in a film...which was pretty good in my opinion.

Omnidisciplinary Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    to be fair, the author herself told them to make it different

I also liked how Brotherhood established Izumi Curtis's relationship with Ed and Al less on the abusive side like the anime did
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck