Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Secret #1 (Jonathan Hickman's Other Ongoing Image Title)

Did anyone pick this up?

I tend to get Hickman's work in trades as I think they read better that way, but I decided to flip through this in a LCS today. The art is done by Ryan Bodenheim who did the art for A Red Mass For Mars and I can see that carries on a bit here as a couple of characters do look similar in the facial area. Looked interesting anyways.

So what are your thoughts? Do we have another great Image #1 and compared to the Manhattan Projects which has the edge?

I picked this up today and it's going on my pull list. Personally it falls a little short compared to Manhattan Projects which simply blew me away but it kept my interest and I'm willing to see where it heads.

I thought this issue was just okay. I reviewed it here: http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...-weekly-41112/

Almost in the same vein as TMP with the twists and turns. Some interesting characters and it has me interested enough to grab issue #2. However better comics were released today.

Oh however they touched upon it in the review but the coloring in this is absolutely outstanding. Tells a story of its own.

I thought this was pretty good, I put it in my top 3 for this week. However it is not as good as Hickmans other series, The Manhattan Projects. I'm gonna have to pick up a couple more issues of it before I can decide if its worth keeping on my pull.
    Check out this sweet comic coming in 2013!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Throwb...889?ref=stream

Well, this first issue continues the trend of brilliant graphic design on Hickman's creator-owned projects. That cover is a doozy, maybe better than the faux-governmental logo on the cover of Manhattan Projects #1. The interiors make interesting use of color, with the look of a tinted silent film, but the linework from Ryan Bodenheim is successful for unobtrusive economy of expression rather than the kind of quirky charm that Nick Pitarra brings to the table. The difference of style fits the difference of theme and tone (conspiratorial and sleek vs. willfully surreal), so that's not a dire complaint.

The twist here is about as surprising as the twist in Manhattan Projects, but the premise that high-tech security is an elaborate conspiratorial shell-game seems more promising than the premise that mad scientists created whimsical doomsday devices throughout WWII, even if there's nothing in this issue with the graphic impact of a legion of samurai robots.

The names seem like a none-too-subtle nod toward creators in the generation before Hickman's, which is a fun touch. Grant Miller? Mr. Moore? Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptid View Post
    Well, this first issue continues the trend of brilliant graphic design on Hickman's creator-owned projects. That cover is a doozy, maybe better than the faux-governmental logo on the cover of Manhattan Projects #1. The interiors make interesting use of color, with the look of a tinted silent film, but the linework from Ryan Bodenheim is successful for unobtrusive economy of expression rather than the kind of quirky charm that Nick Pitarra brings to the table. The difference of style fits the difference of theme and tone (conspiratorial and sleek vs. willfully surreal), so that's not a dire complaint.

The twist here is about as surprising as the twist in Manhattan Projects, but the premise that high-tech security is an elaborate conspiratorial shell-game seems more promising than the premise that mad scientists created whimsical doomsday devices throughout WWII, even if there's nothing in this issue with the graphic impact of a legion of samurai robots.

The names seem like a none-too-subtle nod toward creators in the generation before Hickman's, which is a fun touch. Grant Miller? Mr. Moore? Yeah.
    Sums up the way I felt about this issue, too. I found it a bit more subtle than Manhattan Projects, but the premise in secret has more long term promise. I liked the way the coloring served multiple purposes, as well. The board members of the law firm got a cold grey hue that not only spoke to their personalities, but also lent the impression of the meeting being under surveillance, which could be literally true, or just the way the two security operatives view their clients. It's touches like that that will bring me back for the next issue.
    Omactivate! RIP

Attention! Invading alien scum! I am Bentley, scourge of man, destroyer of hope, and I also have a passing interest in dinosaurs -- Prepare to surrender now!

Loved the art, liked the story. Took a couple reads to make sure I understood every part of what was happening, but I'll be coming back for the next one. When I was considering it in the store I asked the shop owner what it was about, to which he responded, "Uh...I don't really know. Just read it. It's beautiful."

I think I know a bit more of what it's about now, but I'm definitely intrigued. Not as much as I was by The Manhattan Projects, but still interested.
    Don't try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.

This one definite seems more like it needs to be read in trade. The whole thing was bubbles.

Quote Originally Posted by squashmaster View Post
    This one definite seems more like it needs to be read in trade. The whole thing was bubbles.
    I agree 100% Just didn't keep me glued to the story like I was trying to read it rather then his other work in MP and FF where when it's done I am waiting for more!

I felt it was really predictable for Hickman. I'm just interested enough to go back for #2 but I don't think I'll be sticking with this book for long. The dialogue was strong

Although not much happened, this book was great. It reminds me of when Warren Ellis was starting out and how he could give you so much of a story by not actually telling you anything upfront. I feel the storytelling was top notch, both this and Manhattan Projects are killing it...so far. If you want more on this title, watch my Web TV Show on Comics, we talk about Manhattan Projects along with a bunch of other stuff.

http://inveteratemediajunkies.com/20...ips-in-comics/
    TomStewDevine - I say yes to Comics.

A Comic Book Look: Our Weekly TV Show on Comics

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Read it and dug it but I'm going to trade wait this, it seems like it was written for trade.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

BANNED

agreed. not written for, but will read better that way. I just feel like trade waiting things these days.

Picked it up today digitally.
    Read it, enjoyed it. Lots of intrique. It is a bit different than his big concept Sci-fi and historical fiction epics...but still enjoyable and I will see what happens next for sure. It is all so secretive. I have a feeling some very powerful and corrupt figures are going down hard. The art was great.

Manhattan Projects 2 did not disappoint. It seems physicists in the first half of the 20th century were pure badass! Love how these characters are being introduced.