Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default The obsolescence of "oldies" radio.

This is a fascinating article about how, in terms of commercial radio programming and marketing, the concept of "oldies" radio has changed and is likely well on its way to obsolescence. It doesn't certainly mean that the "classic oldies" of the 1950s - early 1970s era aren't popular with people anymore, but that the way that this music is packaged and marketed to audiences has and continues to change as the generations first introduced to this music now enter their senior years.

I've certainly noticed this phenomenon in local "oldies" radio in recent years.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)

It's a pretty simple formula- look at what age group is spending the most money, and play music from their teen years.

That's why we've been force-fed Boomer nostalgia for decades, they're the biggest spending block just due to numbers.

BANNED

I know that i would prefer more variety especially if they decided to play rock music from the 50's and more 60's instead of the relentless 70's marathon.

In the Evil Force of Evil Chiasm's Avatar

Most oldies stations in my area play music from the 70's to mid 90's which is just the way I like it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chiasm View Post
    Most oldies stations in my area play music from the 70's to mid 90's which is just the way I like it.
    90's seriously?

I think it's indeed a very interesting article.

But then it goes on to say:
    Now step back for a moment and imagine a current movie rewinding a mere 11 years to ask the question, “Where were you in 2000?” Can you envision a similar wave of nostalgia for the year that gave us Christina Aguilera’s “What a Girl Wants,” Matchbox Twenty’s “Bent” and Vertical Horizon’s “Everything You Want”?
    I can, in fact. I was thirteen in 2000, and I do look back on 'What A Girl Wants' with nostalgia. It takes me right back to secondary school, lame homework, math teachers, crushes, Dragon Ball Z, pimples. I consider Aguilera one of the greatest voices of my day, and I practically grew through my teen years on her music. 'Stripped' and 'Back To Basics' are both fine albums I'm pleased to have in my collection.

As I've said before, our public Oldies Station here in the Netherlands, called Radio 5, only plays 'tame' oldies music. They don't play Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin. Even the Stones are 'too heavy' for them. The Stones! But Radio 2 (kind of an all-time greatest hits station, also plays new music) will play them. Radio 5 really has a very, very limited playlist, and if you listen to it for two days, you'lkl have heard everything they play.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pariah-1972 View Post
    90's seriously?
    It's creeping up on us. From today's perspective, Nirvana's NEVERMIND is now older than George Harrison's ALL THINGS MUST PASS was when NEVERMIND was a new release.

Scary, but true.

The comic book industry/medium is paradoxically the most fragile and most resilient thing in the world. Its noisiest critics insist every day that every cough, sputter, or dirty look threatens to destroy it, but it has survived every prediction of its demise for nearly eight decades.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    It's creeping up on us. From today's perspective, Nirvana's NEVERMIND is now older than George Harrison's ALL THINGS MUST PASS was when NEVERMIND was a new release.

Scary, but true.

I love Nevermind but i don't want to hear it on the oldies radio i had enough of that shit already. (mostly their imitators)

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Lentze View Post
    I think it's indeed a very interesting article.

But then it goes on to say:

I can, in fact. I was thirteen in 2000, and I do look back on 'What A Girl Wants' with nostalgia. It takes me right back to secondary school, lame homework, math teachers, crushes, Dragon Ball Z, pimples. I consider Aguilera one of the greatest voices of my day, and I practically grew through my teen years on her music. 'Stripped' and 'Back To Basics' are both fine albums I'm pleased to have in my collection.
    And now 11 years ago was the White Stripes "White Blood Cells", the Strokes "This Is It", Daft Punk's "Discovery", Jay-Z's "The Blueprint"... Nostalgia for that era wouldn't surprise me at all.

In the Evil Force of Evil Chiasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pariah-1972 View Post
    90's seriously?
    Yep. Made me feel old when I started hearing Guns and Roses and Pearl Jam on it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chiasm View Post
    Yep. Made me feel old when I started hearing Guns and Roses and Pearl Jam on it.
    Well i feel old when they play 80's but since oldies radio doesn't usually play a wide variety i guess they would have to move up subsequent generations.

Soul Gem Resident adam_warlock_2099's Avatar

80's is the newest I have heard on the local oldies station that I have been listening to for 10 years now. It just crept up on me. I remember hearing Power of Love by Huey Lewis and checking to make sure I had it on the right channel. Oldies, by the current definition is becoming ancient and the music of the 80's is going on 20 years old now.

There is also a new station that came out as well that call themselves the "next generation of classic rock" and blast the airwaves with 70's, 80's and some really early 90's, especially if the artist/band was established in the earlier decades.
    "To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson
    "You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime." -- Death (Sandman)

Default Music:Musical Obsolescence

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    This is a fascinating article about how, in terms of commercial radio programming and marketing, the concept of "oldies" radio has changed and is likely well on its way to obsolescence. It doesn't certainly mean that the "classic oldies" of the 1950s - early 1970s era aren't popular with people anymore, but that the way that this music is packaged and marketed to audiences has and continues to change as the generations first introduced to this music now enter their senior years.

I've certainly noticed this phenomenon in local "oldies" radio in recent years.

The Web and Satellite and I Pod are making Broadcast Radio obsolete and formats will still exist somewhere.The thing that I think was missing in the equation was a New Classic Rock format where new material got a chance to shine.Some of these artists are still doing the best material of their carriers but the programmers continue to ignore the fact.This is why the newer indie bands following in the footsteps of The Greatful Dead jumped on the festival format and many classic rockers should do the same.More money in live shows and concert merchandise than in chasing down pirated CD's.

Yeah, I remember the time, a dozen years back, "oldies" radio meant Supremes' "Baby Love", Four Tops' "I Can't Help Myself (Sugarpie, Honeybunch)", Shelley Fabare's "Johnny Angel", The Angels' "My Boyfriend's Back", Ronettes' "Be My Baby", Four Seasons' "Sherry", and Beach Boys' "I Get Around".

Not so long ago, not would be uncommon today to hear on my local oldies station Van McCoy's "Do The Hustle", Commodores' "Brick House", Blondie's "Call Me", Quarterflash's "Harden My Heart", Huey Lewis and the News' "If This Is It", and Bruce Springsteen's "Hungry Heart".

Hey, and what about "oldies" television; remember what Nick @ Nite & TV Land used to be? I Love Lucy, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeanie?

Well, today, other than "MeTV" which is a relatively new channel anyways, but with early 80s-early 90s Cheers already on their roster, give it time hahaha, TV Land, for instance, currently airs episodes of Everybody Loves Raymond and King of Queens, both series that had episodes for years into the 00s. I've even heard the guy on King of Queens makes a reference on "Playstation Two"!