Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Again, I think it is more of a plot device than anything else. If the bullet can go threw the INDESTRUCTIBLE bracelets, threw one side of her wrist and out the other, than go threw the other side of the INDESTRUCTIBLE bracelets and still have more than enough power to go threw Hephaestus's armor then finally piercing Wondys flesh (heart, not sure if it went there directly), then why did the bullet stop there? It seems like the bullet should just have kept going on and on and on.

And I never liked the centaur scene with the arrow. This is one of the reasons I felt she was depowered in her first issue out as she couldn't take the force of the arrow without getting knocked down. The same Wondy who has had countlessly more powerful attacks levied against her that she blocked and hasn't needed the ground to brace her fall.

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    then why did the bullet stop there? It seems like the bullet should just have kept going on and on and on.
    It's a magic bullet that makes people fell in love. It targets the Heart and stays there, so that people are in love.
    How do I know that? Maybe I'm secretly Azzarello. Maybe is just a fair explanation.

BANNED

As so many people were trying to convince us that the arrows the centaurs used were godly enhanced and that is how it harmed Hermes, why then didn't the arrows pierce threw her bracelets when she blocked them?
    First up, is spelled through, threw is throw in past tense.
    Second Hermes told you why in #5; "We are immortal, not invulnerable."

Again, I think it is more of a plot device than anything else. If the bullet can go threw the INDESTRUCTIBLE bracelets, threw one side of her wrist and out the other, than go threw the other side of the INDESTRUCTIBLE bracelets and still have more than enough power to go threw Hephaestus's armor then finally piercing Wondys flesh (heart, not sure if it went there directly), then why did the bullet stop there? It seems like the bullet should just have kept going on and on and on.
    Pistols of Eros...Eros isn't usually known to shoot people with arrows and the intention of killing them. Stands to reason the guns shoot love, and according to the Star Sapphires; Love conquers all. The bullets are obviously something else, since they didn't shatter when they first impacted.

And I never liked the centaur scene with the arrow. This is one of the reasons I felt she was depowered in her first issue out as she couldn't take the force of the arrow without getting knocked down. The same Wondy who has had countlessly more powerful attacks levied against her that she blocked and hasn't needed the ground to brace her fall.
    There are such things as turning a fight into something really boring, if Diana was constantly portrayed as running on her highest feats then nothing short of a god, Superman or Flash would ever give her any trouble. If you want her to be on that level, get ready to never see most of her old rogues again, because they never approached it.
    So if the centaurs couldn't push her down there, there would be no threat and it would all just be an immensely boring fight that should have ended after 1 or 2 pages. But since they could push her down, they become a credible threat to her as well.

The centaurs were a 'credible threat' to Diana? Come on, the ease with which they were dispatched not once, but twice, against her would lead me among others to believe that they were hardly the threat that you would make them out to be.

Unless you are counting the actions of the gods, like the little battle with Strife, the tentacles of Poseidon or what Hera can do (turn people to statues and snakes simultaneously), there have been no credible threats to Diana yet.

Ek Vitki Runoz Writu CaptMagellan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Pistols of Eros...Eros isn't usually known to shoot people with arrows and the intention of killing them. Stands to reason the guns shoot love, and according to the Star Sapphires; Love conquers all. The bullets are obviously something else, since they didn't shatter when they first impacted.
    THANK YOU. This probably gets back to that whole 'trad comic book' vs. 'literary pretension' thing again but, when I read it I thought: bracelets meant to deflect an attack are useless against 'love' - even when being perverted and used in a manipulative aggressive manner. It was a nice bit of thematic symbolism.

Then I get to this part of the thread and see a bunch of arguments seeing things literally about depowering, god weapons, omega beams etc. and I despair for American literacy of sequential art.
    "The Way to see by Faith, is to shut the Eye of Reason" - Benjamin Franklin

"Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery." - R.G. Ingersoll

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    ... So if the centaurs couldn't push her down there, there would be no threat and it would all just be an immensely boring fight that should have ended after 1 or 2 pages. But since they could push her down, they become a credible threat to her as well.
    The fights with the centaurs are boring. "But they shot a god," you say? Big deal - they weren't even aiming for him; he jumped in. So, wasn't shooting him basically an accident? What else have them done to impress?

eta:
    As for the bullets and bracelets - I'm fine with it. It's love, baby! It don't need to make sense. And I just see it being more figurative than literal.
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

Quote Originally Posted by americanwonder View Post
    The fights with the centaurs are boring. "But they shot a god," you say? Big deal - they weren't even aiming for him; he jumped in. So, wasn't shooting him basically an accident? What else have them done to impress?

eta:
    As for the bullets and bracelets - I'm fine with it. It's love, baby! It don't need to make sense. And I just see it being more figurative than literal.
    I agree that the action hasnt been all that great. I'm more taken back by the world building, the designs of the gods, and the cinematic way certain scenes are set up. Strife's arrival to Paradise Island, Poseidon's rise through the waves, the entire Underworld scene, etc.

Also, all this world building and redesigning of WW and everything else is so beautiful and so grand in scope. No other book in the new 52 has this much ambition and creativity about it.
    Last edited by Dr. Hurt; 04-19-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    I agree that the action hasnt been all that great. I'm more taken back by the world building, the designs of the gods, and the cinematic way certain scenes are set up. Strife's arrival to Paradise Island, Poseidon's rise through the waves, the entire Underworld scene, etc.

Also, all this world building and redesigning of WW and everything else is so beautiful and so grand in scope. No other book in the new 52 has this much ambition and creativity about it.
    The atmosphere of the world building is great. Definately the high point, and like you said, very cinematic. Though I disagree strongly with some choices thus far, I think this has the makings of a very strong story.

But, I'm not sure the world building is great in terms of supporting character for the long haul. I can see Lennox sticking around (and hopefully growing into a more flushed out character), but that's about it really. The others serve the story, but I don't see Zola becoming the Jimmy Olsen of the series (could just be me).

In any case, that's kind of off topic. So, um, Diana, fly, girl, fly!
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

Zola is one of my favourite new characters of the new 52. God i loved how she jumped on Diana like a fangirl! Azz should find a way to keep her around and to keep her relevant to whatever Diana is doing. The Greek gods will always be there in some capacity and now they're family too. We also have the Amazons who will definitely be saved from Hera's curse. And finally Johns has given us an awesome Steve Trevor and a new Etta Candy.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    The bracelets of deflection, the ones that blocked the Omega beams and withstood the combined might of Olympus, may no longer be working as designed.
    Superman is hurt by radioactive chunks of rock from Krypton. It makes sense to me that Diana's weakness would come from her own mythological camp.

CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar

Quick note here, guys - please mark your Spoilers as they pertain to issue #8 :)

thats a very nice way of saying that you are holding on to hope that she gets feats of strength that her own books authors have yet to provide. yup i said it and its true. if you cant show me feats of any meta strength or speed or flight in 8 months of stories the problem is with the editor for allowing it and the author. even rucka showed a little bit of her power and built up to a good fight or 2 after 6 months.