Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bands who were unjustly labeled in your opinion

For example, Alice In Chains came from Seattle, but I always considered them more of a hard rock band than a "grunge" one.

Also, Tesla is often lumped in with Hair Rock bands. I do not find that fitting.
    Last edited by Ziggy Stardust; 04-11-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    For example, Alice In Chains came from Seattle, but I always considered them more of a hard rock band than a "grunge" one.

Also, Tesla is often lumped in with Hari Rock bands. I do not find that fitting.
    Tugging at my heart strings!! Tesla is my favorite band so thanks for that recognition! They were definitely a rock blues style band way over hair bands. They are still pumping out quality new songs and haven't softened with age. Jeff Keith is a little rougher vocally due to being older but instrumentally everyone is still top-notch. We saw Frank Hannon a couple of years ago with his side project band and he was ripping on the guitar. One of my musician buddies was with me and he is super-critical about performers, and he's never been as big of a Tesla fan as me, and he was floored by Frank.

Carried over from another thread, Stone Temple Pilots. Pearl Jam fans accuse STP as being a knock-off and I have never seen the similarities other than they came out around the same time. I suppose Ten has some rock qualities that may be consistent with STP, but PJ branches in a different musical direction after Ten.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Many still think of Guns 'n Roses as a *hair metal* band. It's true that they had Aquanet hair (especially during the early years), and they played metal during the 1980s, but nobody with ears would confuse Guns 'n Roses' sound with those of bands such as Poison, Warrant, and Winger.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)

Red face

First time I heard G'N'R I knew Aerosmith was a big influence.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottmeister X View Post
    Tugging at my heart strings!! Tesla is my favorite band so thanks for that recognition!
    I love Tesla.

I often listen to Psychotic Supper. To me, that was their best CD. Bust A Nut also gets frequent play.

I love Tesla.

I often listen to Psychotic Supper. To me, that was their best CD. Bust A Nut also gets frequent play.
    Agreed. Psychotic Supper was their best and Bust A Nut was under-appreciated but that was also the time period when grunge burst onto the scene. I think I read an interview somewhere with the Tesla guys -- and they loved Cobain and Nirvana -- but they said "holy shit" when Teen Spirit came out and knew selling music was going to become very difficult.

Yeah, much as I loved Grunge music when it came out, I started to resent how it killed heavy metal and hard rock's popularity.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Many still think of Guns 'n Roses as a *hair metal* band. It's true that they had Aquanet hair (especially during the early years), and they played metal during the 1980s, but nobody with ears would confuse Guns 'n Roses' sound with those of bands such as Poison, Warrant, and Winger.

First time I heard G'N'R I knew Aerosmith was a big influence.
    Oh yeah , they look at Axl's wild hair from "Welcome to the Jungle" and go ...hair band. But those people are dumb asses and really don't realize that Guns n Roses was a hard rock band that was more influenced by the Stones than they were a hair metal band. Hell... the band released the Illusion albums in 1991 . Right when the hair metal era was dying off.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

Tesla is a fantastic example of getting lumped in the wrong category.

For me, I love their first two albums along with Into The Now, which was my album of the year for the year it was released.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Oh yeah , they look at Axl's wild hair from "Welcome to the Jungle" and go ...hair band. But those people are dumb asses and really don't realize that Guns n Roses was a hard rock band that was more influenced by the Stones than they were a hair metal band. Hell... the band released the Illusion albums in 1991 . Right when the hair metal era was dying off.
    Wait... did you just call me a dumb ass?

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Tesla is a fantastic example of getting lumped in the wrong category.

For me, I love their first two albums along with Into The Now, which was my album of the year for the year it was released.

I should have mentioned Into The Now. From the opening riffs of the title song to Mighty Mouse and Got No Glory..... great CD!

When Randy Jackson calls someone on American Idol their next 'indie' person cause they sing songs like Paramore and Coldplay. You'd think someone in the music industry would know that to be an indie band you have to be self-produced or signed to an indie label, thus no one that wins on American Idol will ever be an indie artist.

The whole indie music thing actually irks me, indie music isn't a new idea, it's been around for a long, long time and it isn't just constricted to the rock genre. there is indie hip-hop, jazz, punk, pop etc. I dunno, maybe I'm the only one that gets annoyed but such things.

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

Meh. Grunge really isn't much different from hard rock.

And Tesla certainly fits hard rock, which is naturally very blues oriented.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I get an urge to rip my hair out when the ignorant refer to the Beatles as a "boy band."

The Afghan Whigs always got lumped in with Grunge bands as they came around at the same time, but they always had more soul elements to their music and janglier guitars. The difference between Greg Dulli's vocals and the yarrrrling of an Eddie Vedder and his many imitators is like night and day, in my opinion.