Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

It's all just a cash-grab on Marvel's part. I can see the appeal that it would have to the general audience and fan-base, but to me this just simply reeks of gimmick. I don't so much care that Marvel has previously stated that "if the two worlds meet they have officially run out of ideas", because with the Shattered Dimensions video game (canon or not) that has already sort of happened. The part that gets me is that it just happens to be during the 50th anniversary of Spider-Man? Sheesh. I bet you if last year was the 50th anniversary they would have tied the cross-over into Ultimate Peter's death somehow. If this cross-over was inevitably going to happen I would have at least hoped it would be a few years after Miles was established. I mean, this cross-over directly clashes with an important sub-plot currently going on in Ultimate Spider-Man; Miles learning from Peter via the Spider-Man DVD. Miles is trying to learn from his deceased mentor in the best and only way he can. That's a beautiful plot and is full of heart. But wait here comes the 50th anniversary, let's give Miles an actual Peter Parker to learn from because that's better and, you know, more believable... Yeah...

You know, I've been fighting these feelings for the last couple of years. I've enjoyed the ride of change since Ultimatum but this is getting a little ridiculous. Just because the Ultimate Universe is a place where anything can happen, that doesn't mean anything SHOULD happen. It was bad enough that Ultimate Peter was killed off, but because it was done very well I accepted it with open arms and welcomed Miles as my new favorite Web-Head. Now Marvel is just playing games to see how far they can push it. I mean seriously? There were tons of angry fans after Ultimatum because the UU was so drastically changed, and then, just when they were starting to mend the damage done (forgotten characters once again reaching the spotlight, old Ultimate costumes coming into play, etc) they are rocking the ship again toward something that shouldn't have been done to the UU.

I think, because it appears that this story is canon for Miles, that I WILL in fact purchase and read it (bravo Marvel) but at this point I will be doing it rather begrudgingly. But seriously Marvel, you need to learn to stop "fixing" things that aren't broken.
    All-New Ultimates Earth 2 Harley Quinn Injustice Invincible Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man Real Heroes The Walking Dead Ultimate FF

Elder Member

Fixing things that aren't broken? Well DC still doesn't fit under that catagory.

Quote Originally Posted by Balfro View Post
    It's all just a cash-grab on Marvel's part. I can see the appeal that it would have to the general audience and fan-base, but to me this just simply reeks of gimmick. I don't so much care that Marvel has previously stated that "if the two worlds meet they have officially run out of ideas", because with the Shattered Dimensions video game (canon or not) that has already sort of happened. The part that gets me is that it just happens to be during the 50th anniversary of Spider-Man? Sheesh. I bet you if last year was the 50th anniversary they would have tied the cross-over into Ultimate Peter's death somehow. If this cross-over was inevitably going to happen I would have at least hoped it would be a few years after Miles was established. I mean, this cross-over directly clashes with an important sub-plot currently going on in Ultimate Spider-Man; Miles learning from Peter via the Spider-Man DVD. Miles is trying to learn from his deceased mentor in the best and only way he can. That's a beautiful plot and is full of heart. But wait here comes the 50th anniversary, let's give Miles an actual Peter Parker to learn from because that's better and, you know, more believable... Yeah...

You know, I've been fighting these feelings for the last couple of years. I've enjoyed the ride of change since Ultimatum but this is getting a little ridiculous. Just because the Ultimate Universe is a place where anything can happen, that doesn't mean anything SHOULD happen. It was bad enough that Ultimate Peter was killed off, but because it was done very well I accepted it with open arms and welcomed Miles as my new favorite Web-Head. Now Marvel is just playing games to see how far they can push it. I mean seriously? There were tons of angry fans after Ultimatum because the UU was so drastically changed, and then, just when they were starting to mend the damage done (forgotten characters once again reaching the spotlight, old Ultimate costumes coming into play, etc) they are rocking the ship again toward something that shouldn't have been done to the UU.

I think, because it appears that this story is canon for Miles, that I WILL in fact purchase and read it (bravo Marvel) but at this point I will be doing it rather begrudgingly. But seriously Marvel, you need to learn to stop "fixing" things that aren't broken.
    This, this, and this! Marvel are too quick to rock the boat and throw things into upheaval simply to generate sales. They need to just let things be for years at a time if they want their events to have any real meaning or significance. But they clearly don't. They want the sales. It's actually really sad.

I just feel that this will have zero impact on continuity in either main title... If anything I'll trade wait this. I don't read 616 Spider-Man, and everything important that happens to Miles will happen in the pages of Ultimate Spider-Man, which I already get.

Did this really need a mini? Could this not have just been a story arc in Ultimate Spider-Man? No, if it were going to have any lasting impact, it wouldn't be a mini series.
    "Predictable? If there were any more plot twists going on, we'd need M. Night Shyamalan to randomly appear at the end saying 'What a twist' before vanishing". - Kurolegacy on Ult X-Men #8.

I honestly have no clue if I'll be getting this...like, seriously, Marvel? You have a whole Ultimate Universe full of stories and potential paths to take this brand-new original character down, including potential mentors and teaching sources, plenty of room for new villains and character interaction, etc. ...And the best they can think of to do is have some convenient crossover between Miles and Peter from 616?
    "Before you save anyone else, you have to save yourself."
    ~Gregory Maguire

Quote Originally Posted by Morentez View Post
    if it were going to have any lasting impact, it wouldn't be a mini series.
    It's for the people wanting to read a Bendis Spider-Man story in celebration of all things Spider-Man. Not "Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #13" but simply it's own thing.
    "Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    It's for the people wanting to read a Bendis Spider-Man story in celebration of all things Spider-Man. Not "Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #13" but simply it's own thing.
    Why isn't Slott involved though? He writes 616 Spider-Man.
    "Predictable? If there were any more plot twists going on, we'd need M. Night Shyamalan to randomly appear at the end saying 'What a twist' before vanishing". - Kurolegacy on Ult X-Men #8.

Commander Dark Guard CaptainMarvell's Avatar

I know a lot of people on here don't, but I like the idea. One of the reasons we love Ultimate is because its unpredictable. Doing something that's never been done before is unpredictable. I'm actually dying to see a 616 characters' take on the Ultimate universe. I'm also really interested to see what the plot is and how this interdimensional crossover is even possible. I'm not even a big Spider-man fan and I'm really interested to see how all this happens, how it plays out and what will happen in the end. I don't know how die-hard fans cannot be interested in this.

Ultimate fan for life TheUltimates09's Avatar

Well me being the optimist that I am, this could turn out good, but I still feel this is happening to soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Morentez View Post
    Why isn't Slott involved though? He writes 616 Spider-Man.
    Why should he be involved? He's not the only one writing 616 Spider-Man.
    "Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

BANNED

I'm happy for the crossover. Like I mentioned weeks ago, this is the lesser evil. Resurrecting Peter Parker would have been much worse, it would have destroyed the character and made everything post-DoSM pointless.
    Last edited by MrV; 04-11-2012 at 09:25 AM.

They're not reviving Ultimate Peter. Thank goodness!

You know, the thought occurred to me as I was writing this... Power and Responsibility through DoSM is kinda like the Spider-Man version of Grant Morrison's All Star Superman. Bendis distilled everything that makes Peter Parker/Spider-Man tick and told his story. Sure, he told it in a continuity that he built from the ground up (rather than just arbitrarily moving established pieces of the mythos around), but the concept remains the same. One of the best Spider-Man runs ever, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Balfro View Post

You know, I like it. I suspect that the anniversary aspect of the story will be meaningful. I think it's important to remember that the UU started off as an homage, as a nod to achievement. Bendis hasn't let us down yet on being respectful of the story while working under those constraints. Make no mistake, there will be hurdles to jump through (I think I'm with you on the Spider-Man DVD subplot, for example), but I think it's a little early to call it a cash grab. Miles is a great character. Peter is a legend. It'll be interesting, to say the least. Maybe it'll be a flash forward type story? I could get behind that.

I do hope the events of the story make future crossovers impossible though. This should be a one time thing, or barring that, a VERY infrequent thing.

Anyone else LOVE that Pichelli spread with Peter and Miles? Peter looks so bad-@$$!
    Marriage Era Spidey bashers are shameful opportunists (Like you REALLY didn't enjoy a single Spidey comic in 20 years)
    Conversely, BND haters REALLY need to get over their continuity elitism already

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by taylor51 View Post
    Anyone else LOVE that Pichelli spread with Peter and Miles? Peter looks so bad-@$$!
    That image is by Jim Cheung, and it is a cover not a spread.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos_Alfa View Post
    There is no reason Miles has to meet 616 Peter if they wanted Miles to meet a Peter Parker, there's still Spider-Woman waiting to be used
    He's already met Ultimate Spider-Woman, and just because she's his clone doesn't make her the same person.

Quote Originally Posted by MrV View Post
    That image is by Jim Cheung, and it is a cover not a spread.
    Ouch, ouch and ouch. Haha. Good to know. My question still stands I suppose ;).
    Marriage Era Spidey bashers are shameful opportunists (Like you REALLY didn't enjoy a single Spidey comic in 20 years)
    Conversely, BND haters REALLY need to get over their continuity elitism already