Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lazlo_toth View Post
    It takes a Marvel "Architect" six issues to tell a story that Roger Stern or Walt Simonson (or even Chris Claremont at his most bloated and verbose) could have polished off in two or three, sometimes even in a single issue. Not that DC is much better, but at least they don't charge $4 for their piles of crap.
    I think you just described Bendis's entire career.

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Thanks to a link at the Spider-Men thread in the Ultimate Universe forum, I found the Newsarama article about Quesada reserving the right to change his mind on that famous quote made years ago:

Does SPIDER-MEN Break a Quesada Rule? Yes... and No?

Here's his reply verbatim:
    "I often hear fans complain that four years ago I said something and it looks like with a certain decision - whatever it is - I went against what I said four years ago, three years ago, six years ago ... whatever. Hereís what I donít understand...

"Why donít I have the right to change my mind?

"Why donít I have the right to grow with my job, to learn from it and the people I work with? "
    Changing ones mind, what is this strange concept?

Seriously, He said what he said during some of the higher points of USM's popularity. Now that USM has dropped and needed major rework (miles is a good read and a breath of fresh air).... is he really not allowed to think that now might be the time to do something like this? I mean human kind once said the world was flat.... are we pointing at old texts and holding current science to it?

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Umm, OK, but what does that have to do with anything?
    I wanted you to elaborate. You wrote a big ol' paragraph raging against the concept -- well, partly the concept and partly a weird tangent on AvX -- but didn't go much beyond "Marvel is terrible for this."
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Umm, OK, but what does that have to do with anything?
    I think hes saying that your reasoning resembles the old "Because it just is..." argument. He seems to want to know why you feel the way you do about it. Care to elaborate on why its a bad idea?

edit-

or see the above post...

I wanna hear you scream Kevinroc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    Changing ones mind, what is this strange concept?

Seriously, He said what he said during the highest point of USM's popularity. Now that USM has dropped and needed major rework (miles is a good read and a breath of fresh air).... is he really not allowed to think that now might be the time to do something like this? I mean human kind once said the world was flat.... are we pointing at old texts and holding current science to it?
    Quesada is also in the entertainment industry. It's not like he wrote the Bill of Rights and changed his mind about some of them amendments.

(A little perspective never hurt anybody.)
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Quesada is also in the entertainment industry. It's not like he wrote the Bill of Rights and changed his mind about some of them amendments.

yeah really... sure it makes a funny statement when placed on the poster, but is he really not allowed to change his mind?

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Even Moses revised the Commandments.

I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

I wanna hear you scream Kevinroc's Avatar

Mel Brooks is awesome.
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

Mel Brooks is awesome.
    On this, I think we can all agree.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyBanks View Post
    On this, I think we can all agree.
    No, sorry. Seven years ago, I said he wasn't. And I can't change my statement, now.

I think hes saying that your reasoning resembles the old "Because it just is..." argument. He seems to want to know why you feel the way you do about it. Care to elaborate on why its a bad idea?

edit-

or see the above post...
    OK. I don't like it because I've always seen the two separate universes as basically incompatible with each other. I inferred the Ultimate Universe existed to provide a modern re-interpretation of the classic Marvel characters. I don't know or care whether JQ really said that if the two universes ever crossed over it would mean that Marvel was "out of ideas," but if he did, I think he was right. Interaction between the two universes cheapens both of them somewhat, kind of like how some baseball fans think that interleague play cheapens baseball. It seems to defeat the purpose of there even being an ultimate universe in the first place. It feels to me like a desperate grab for attention by a company that is scraping the bottom of the barrel. The fact that I seem to be the only person who really just doesn't find a single thing about Miles Morales compelling may also flavor my opinions. And I concede that they are merely opinions, and I don't claim to have any factual information about how "desperate" marvel may or may not be.

So there. That's why I think this is a bad idea. It will produce another shallow, vapid reading experience that is chock-full of very pretty splash pages and double-page spreads and lots of witty dialogue in which people gab alot but don't really say anything, and in the end, despite what they're saying, it won't matter.
    I've got a plan and it's here in my hand, a baton made of light.
    We're the enforcers, the sorceror's orphans, and we know why we fight.

yeah really... sure it makes a funny statement when placed on the poster, but is he really not allowed to change his mind?
    He's not really involved in the day-to-day doings of the publishing division. Does it even matter if he changed his mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Number_5 View Post
    Sounds like you need a little Daredevil in your life. That, or Scarlet Spider.
    Oddly enough, playing Daredevil as carefree and happy-go-lucky is just about the only thing coming out of marvel the last couple of years that actually DOESN'T seem hackneyed or derivative. I'm actually considering picking up the first HC volume of Waid's run to see for myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Number_5 View Post
    Sounds like you need a little Daredevil in your life. That, or Scarlet Spider.
    Truth. Scarlet Spider is awesome.

Although, I do have a beef with Marvel calling their top writers "Architects." It just seems so...lame and pretentious.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyBanks View Post
    This would be a good time to jump on board. The new Spider-Man series is really good, and The Ultimates is even better.

Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man, Volume 1 http://amzn.com/0785157123
    Ultimate Comics: The Ultimates, Volume 1 http://amzn.com/0785157174
    I know it isn't bad. Maybe if run into them for cheap I'd consider it but for now but I don't have the ambition to read/commit or spend more additional money on books at this point. This interests me because of the interactions of the mixed universe. I always liked that and 5 or 6 issues isn't much. But yeah for now I'm procrastinating enough with the books I already get and it isn't much so for now I'll say not yet... :-D

I read a few issues of the new USM I just haven't bought any besides issue 1.
    Last edited by prescribeddrone; 04-13-2012 at 05:45 PM.