Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I interpret this another way. It's more "It's the 50th anniversary! We need to do some sort of gimmick! Quick, think of something! Um...to hell with this, thinking is too hard! Let's just cross over 616 and Ultimate." It's not just a gimmick. It's downright lazy.

No good can ever come from Miles Morales entering 616. Ultimate is a dying universe full of dead characters, replacement characters, and horribly boring stories about how everything and everyone is screwed. It should never poison 616. Marvel said if they started resorting to crossovers between these two universes, that would mean they were out of ideas. And for an organization that calls themselves the House of Ideas, that's tantamount to just giving up.

The only reason Miles is popular is because he's replacing another character. If he was really all that great to begin with, he wouldn't need to replace anyone. He's like Tim Cook taking over for Steve Jobs. He's only notable due to association. No one will ever say that Cook will replace Steve Jobs fully. But Marvel thinks they can do it here with Miles and after reading the first few issues, I can't see how anyone would find this kid any more appealing than a rectal itch. He's boring. He has no personality. He has no wit. He has the facial expressions of a statue. No good can come from him crossing over into 616.

Ultimate is a cancerous tumor on the brain stem of Marvel comics. The sooner it gets cut out and killed, the better.
    Wow, that is kind of deep and harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by MrV View Post
    That too! It would be hilarious if Aunt May went: "Pete, you're all grown up!"
    That actually sounds very sad...I mean, I think it would be really hard for them, seeing the man their Pete would have likely grown to be.

Quote Originally Posted by MrV View Post
    The end of the interview hinted Miles would meet more characters than just Peter, I hope Miles befriends Iron Man or Wolverine from Earth-616. Heck even Daredevil!

If Miles befriends Daredevil from that world it will be a neat contrast to Ultimate Pete, who was hated by Ultimate Daredevil.
    LOL, I just want to see what he thinks of the 616 universe, and how Peter sees the Ultimate universe. Heck, 616 seems like it would be close to a utopia for Miles. I mean, at least there, mutants aren't immediately arrested. And how would the other heroes see him, of course. They would probably just go along with it. I mean, it's far from the weirdest thing that's ever happened.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBeast View Post
    Heh. Yeah.

I remember a few months ago in a press release Marvel referred to the introduction of Miles Morales as something like "one of the most important pop cultural events ever".

They need to kill it with the hyperbole, because it is insulting to the reader.

They also need to end it with the "shadow image" gimmicks that drag on and on. I would have considered buying this if Marvel just came out and said "Hey, 616 and Ultimate Spidey are teaming up. Sound good?" But instead they had to turn the whole thing into a sickeningly overhyped propaganda campaign.

It's a shame because the Ultimate Spidey book is actually really good. I've read the first arc and plan to buy it in trades (at least until Good Bendis reverts into Snarky Bendis).

But everything the Marvel PR team has done with Miles Morales has me rolling my eyes and feeling like they're treating me like a gullible sucker. They don't have to lean so heavily on gimmicks. He's a good character, period, and it's nice to see a minority character in a starring role like this. But they emphasize his race so much, and pat themselves on the back as much and as often as possible, that it baits people into reacting overly negatively against the whole thing, at which point they can get even more press by saying "Look, people who don't like Ultimate Spidey are racist". And they're doing a similar thing with this crossover: they've dragged out the news of it so long, which gives people a chance to speculate and say that they wouldn't want a 616/Ultimate crossover, and then Marvel gets another "news cycle" out of it by playing off of those complaints (which were necessarily ignorant because Marvel didn't release all the information all at once). They're doing the same thing with the Astonishing X-Men wedding announcement--dragging it out so as to make a political issue of it.

I'm probably overthinking things a bit, but I feel like Marvel shouldn't be so afraid to rely on STORY rather than GIMMICK and HYPE. Miles is a great character and his own book as been great. The crossover will probably be good, but at this point I feel like Marvel's advertising has treated me like an idiot, so I'm very reluctant to reward them. Plus I tend not to like Bendis' 616 Peter Parker.
    Well of course they emphasis is race a lot in the past, it really is the first time since spawn that a racial minority hero has been this successful. On dc side, the first two minority books static and mr terrific were cancelled, and its believed that the remaining minority solo books from dc will be canceled over the next year. In marvel, every other minority book but usm has been cancelled. Thus usm is doing the impossible, he'snot just selling, he's selling as well as 40 year icons like wonder woman. That's a feat that deserves a pat on the back.
    Snowstorm Comics is the newest comic book publisher. Releasing their first print "Kindred" from their upcoming comic, "Evolved" you can find out more at snowstormcomics.com

While i dont think anyone's actually said it ...i get the feeling that some people may have the idea that Bendis Wants Miles to Cross over into the mainstream 616 and one day be the Marvel Universe's Spider-man ...lool i would like to see that just to see some peoples reactions . But Being serious i think this will be a good crossover as Bendis does seem to have a good handle on Spidey in my opinion (Much Better then his characterisation of lets say ...the Vision but i digress) and its for the Anniversary so sounds like a "Neat" idea (i have never used that term so thought why not) . I'll give it a chance anyway ...thats the least i could do as a Spider-man fan. Make Mine Marvel x
    Tattoos Music Sports and Comics . Derrick Rose / Jack Wilshere are Sporting Legends . England/Asia/The Caribbean All day !!

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    If Mephisto is behind this storyline I'll go and streak the City Centre lol.
    Yah, me too. Carrying the comic book with me, of course, to cover the privates.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoVGM View Post
    Because they have a good story?
    Doubtful.

People, this isn't Peter meeting Peter. There's a lot of really great story possibilities here. Whether it's Miles' life changing due to meeting such a mentor or the possibly emotional impact from MJ and Aunt May meeting a grown-up adult version of the person they love who recently died.
    There's nothing "grown up" about the 616 Peter.

That's a really great cover image...but what you don't see is they're swinging over a shark.
    I'm crushing your head fanboy! I'm crushing your head!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Doubtful.
    How is that doubtful considering the quality of USM?

There's nothing "grown up" about the 616 Peter.
    That makes no sense. Of course there is. That's just nonsense.

Cue the "OH MARVEL HAS OFFICIALY RUN OUT OF IDEAS."

To that I say..oh chill out you whiners! A crossover is not running out of ideas.

Seriously there's a wellspring of ideas that come from this. 616 Peter's reaction to a world he died as a teenager and is a what? A saint? A matyr? Ultimate Mary Jane and Ultimate Aunt May's reaction to ADULT 616 Peter. Peter's reaction to a Gwen Stacy clone that's part of the Parker family life. Peter showing Miles Morales some moves. Pseudo big brother, pseudo little brother bonding time folks! I dig that kind of stuff. Peter's reaction to Ultimate Nick Fury. I want to see that. A Samuel L Jackson joke must be made.

Also I really hope Bendis shows off 616 Peter's scientific expereince and fighting skills. Especially THE WAY OF THE SPIDER. Just to see say Ultimate Captain America's reaction or any of the adult heroes. "This is the man he could have grown up to be." That's worth the $3.99 an issue right there.

And you know what? I LOVE that Peter Parker is the first 616 character to step foot in the Ultimate Universe. It just seems so right. I kind of hope he's wearing the Future Foundation uniform just to see the reaction to that in the UU before he morphs it to his regular look.

But they should not make this a regular thing. Make it rare and special as to not abuse the concept. Also let Peter show off being a seasoned pro. "Aw Alternate Dimension. Been there done that. Alternate Spider-Man? Done that too. But I was in a parallel future at the time, not a parallel present."

I just really can't wait to see Miles, Ult Pete's family and friends, other heroes, and Ult Nick Fury's reaction to 616 Peter. That's gonna be some juicy reading folks.
    Stetsons are cool!~The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by DanCMH View Post
    That's a really great cover image...but what you don't see is they're swinging over a shark.
    *clap clap clap* This post is excellent, and I commend the author.

Nothing gets me more unexcited about comics than seeing Bendis' name. Poor Spider-Man's fiftieth anniversary.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevad View Post
    Cue the "OH MARVEL HAS OFFICIALY RUN OUT OF IDEAS."

To that I say..oh chill out you whiners! A crossover is not running out of ideas.
    Marvel's words, not ours.
    Comics enjoyed by my Old Lady: Chew, IKG, Saga, JTHM, Ex Machina, Gil Kane's Green Lantern, Wormwood, NYX, Jurgen and JMS's Thor, along with a few others.

Bendis is great. To be honest, I don't really like Miles or the series since Miles showed up, but some people like it. It wont ever be as good as when Pete was the main character (I believe that writing Pete made Bendis' carreer, and thats the character he's best at), but that's just personal opinion. At least Amazing Spidermans been on a roll lately. I can always count on that book for a spidey fix, but man do I miss Ultimate Pete.
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

"I have often regretted my speech, but never my silence."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rice View Post
    *clap clap clap* This post is excellent, and I commend the author.

Nothing gets me more unexcited about comics than seeing Bendis' name. Poor Spider-Man's fiftieth anniversary.

Marvel's words, not ours.
    No, one man's words years ago at a very different time. Miles meeting Peter is different than Peter meeting Peter has has the potential for fantastic moments.

To be honest though, I am a little disappointed that this is going to be a mini. It should impact ASM as much as it does USM. I'd rather it be a 5-6 part crossover between USM and ASM, with Bendis and Slott handling their respective issues.

Quote Originally Posted by DanCMH View Post
    Jumping the shark is an idiom created by Jon Hein that is used to describe the moment in the evolution of a television show when it begins a decline in quality that is beyond recovery.
    So Amazing Spider-Man will never, ever be good again because of something that happened in a different book that was penned by a different writer?
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!

I don't regularly buy or keep up with Ultimate but I'm buying this. Can't wait!

I made a thread about it in December :)

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...ver&highlight=