Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BANNED

The end of the interview hinted Miles would meet more characters than just Peter, I hope Miles befriends Iron Man or Wolverine from Earth-616. Heck even Daredevil!

If Miles befriends Daredevil from that world it will be a neat contrast to Ultimate Pete, who was hated by Ultimate Daredevil.

Junior Member NapoleonBlownapart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrV View Post
    The end of the interview hinted Miles would meet more characters than just Peter, I hope Miles befriends Iron Man or Wolverine from Earth-616. Heck even Daredevil!

If Miles befriends Daredevil from that world it will be a neat contrast to Ultimate Pete, who was hated by Ultimate Daredevil.
    I'm actually looking forward to seeing Peter meet the Ultimate versions of Aunt May, MJ and Gwen Stacy.

Quote Originally Posted by BizzleTheBear View Post
    LOL "an enormously popular new character"
    Heh. Yeah.

I remember a few months ago in a press release Marvel referred to the introduction of Miles Morales as something like "one of the most important pop cultural events ever".

They need to kill it with the hyperbole, because it is insulting to the reader.

They also need to end it with the "shadow image" gimmicks that drag on and on. I would have considered buying this if Marvel just came out and said "Hey, 616 and Ultimate Spidey are teaming up. Sound good?" But instead they had to turn the whole thing into a sickeningly overhyped propaganda campaign.

It's a shame because the Ultimate Spidey book is actually really good. I've read the first arc and plan to buy it in trades (at least until Good Bendis reverts into Snarky Bendis).

But everything the Marvel PR team has done with Miles Morales has me rolling my eyes and feeling like they're treating me like a gullible sucker. They don't have to lean so heavily on gimmicks. He's a good character, period, and it's nice to see a minority character in a starring role like this. But they emphasize his race so much, and pat themselves on the back as much and as often as possible, that it baits people into reacting overly negatively against the whole thing, at which point they can get even more press by saying "Look, people who don't like Ultimate Spidey are racist". And they're doing a similar thing with this crossover: they've dragged out the news of it so long, which gives people a chance to speculate and say that they wouldn't want a 616/Ultimate crossover, and then Marvel gets another "news cycle" out of it by playing off of those complaints (which were necessarily ignorant because Marvel didn't release all the information all at once). They're doing the same thing with the Astonishing X-Men wedding announcement--dragging it out so as to make a political issue of it.

I'm probably overthinking things a bit, but I feel like Marvel shouldn't be so afraid to rely on STORY rather than GIMMICK and HYPE. Miles is a great character and his own book as been great. The crossover will probably be good, but at this point I feel like Marvel's advertising has treated me like an idiot, so I'm very reluctant to reward them. Plus I tend not to like Bendis' 616 Peter Parker.
    Last edited by DarkBeast; 04-11-2012 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Amen to that.
    And I'll say the same thing to you: amen to what? USM is widely accepted as being a fantastic book. So what shitty Bendis writing do you speak of? It's clearly not on USM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NapoleonBlownapart View Post
    I'm actually looking forward to seeing Peter meet the Ultimate versions of Aunt May, MJ and Gwen Stacy.
    That too! It would be hilarious if Aunt May went: "Pete, you're all grown up!"

Sweetest Guy in the Swamp Manphibian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoVGM View Post
    Nah, there's a lot of factual potential for this story. That's hardly being "out of ideas". The original quote from Joe was kind of dumb anyway.

You've used the terms factual in two of your posts. Care to present your "factual" evidence?

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoVGM View Post
    And I'll say the same thing to you: amen to what? USM is widely accepted as being a fantastic book. So what shitty Bendis writing do you speak of? It's clearly not on USM.
    He's probably never read USM, and is referring to Bendis's shitty writing on Avengers. Which, in contrast to USM, really is a turd.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerkaya View Post
    bummer I was expecting Spider-Mann 2099 to team with Spidey.
    Maybe he'll make a cameo appearance in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Mike View Post
    And according to Tom Brevoort on his formspring, apparently Slott is a huge Whovian (Doctor Who fan) and has mentioned around the Marvel bullpen how much he wants to do a Spider-Man/Doctor Who crossover.

MARVEL! BBC! Make it happen!
    This is true. I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Slott at Emerald City CC, and he talked my girlfriend's ear off about Dr Who for like 10 minutes! He was gracious enough to sign my book even with my complete lack of interest in Dr. Who, and it was nice of him to share his mutual enthusiasm for Who with my girlfriend who'd just had a disapointing experience with Bill Willingham.

I know my anticdote doesn't really have anything to do with anything, just thought I would share.

Not interested in Spider-Men, at all.
    Omactivate! RIP

Attention! Invading alien scum! I am Bentley, scourge of man, destroyer of hope, and I also have a passing interest in dinosaurs -- Prepare to surrender now!

Annnnd the Ult universe is dead creatively.
    Cyclops ad portas

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBeast View Post
    I'm probably overthinking things a bit, but I feel like Marvel shouldn't be so afraid to rely on STORY rather than GIMMICK and HYPE. Miles is a great character and his own book as been great. The crossover will probably be good, but at this point I feel like Marvel's advertising has treated me like an idiot, so I'm very reluctant to reward them. Plus I tend not to like Bendis' 616 Peter Parker.
    A thousand times this!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ASR View Post
    Well I do remember Joe Quesada saying millions of times the two universes would never cross over because it would indicate Marvel would have officially run out of original ideas... I guess Axel didn't read any of those interviews. I don't see how this could be a good idea/premise
    When was the last time Marvel had an original idea or two that wasn't annoying ?

To be honest, I always wanted to see at least one good story where the Marvel U and the Ultimate U cross paths. Spider-Man meeting Spider-Man seems like a fun idea for the 50th anniversary. I'm sure that this event won't matter much in the regular Peter Parker's life, but hopefully it has a lasting affect in Miles Morales' career

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Since when was Loser Morales an enormously popular character?
    Um, check the sales, miles usm is actually raising in sales and scored number 29 on march 100 top sales, right behind wonder woman, don't let ur clearly
    Hatorade attitude distort the fact that miles is the most successful new character in a long time
    Snowstorm Comics is the newest comic book publisher. Releasing their first print "Kindred" from their upcoming comic, "Evolved" you can find out more at snowstormcomics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    And here's the inside story as told by editors Mark Paniccia and Sana Amanat.

http://marvel.com/news/story/18503/s...e_inside_story
    So no involvement from Steve Wacker at all ?

I find this kind of annoying given that he's the head of the Spidey titles.