Hybrid View

Exclamation My Opinion - Take It Or Leave It!

So I have a bunch of stuff that I need to get off my chest and I didn't know where to put it. There's a good chance this thread will sink to the bottom really fast, but let's see what sticks.

The point of this thread is to just spout off a bunch of personal opinions and see what like-minded or antagonistic response I get. Being a comic book forum, I figure I'll lead with a comic book related topic.

Olivier Coipel vs. Jim Lee

As you can see from my sig, I'm a huge fan of Olivier Coipel. I get books just for his art. I mainly got House of M, Siege, and the first collection of Fraction's Thor just for his art alone. The man is an amazing talent. If you have a chance to read his run with JMS on Thor, you will not regret it. I think Thor is a fairly lame characters, but man did JMS grab my attention with his interpretation of Thor and Coipel just knocked the art out of the park.

Then we have Jim Lee. Really, Jim Lee represents my first comic book love. I read a comic here and there, but the day I became a comic book fan was when I bought a copy of X-Men #1 by Chris Claremont and Jim Lee. His art featured characters that were larger than life, powerful and beautiful. With Claremont turning the drama up to 11, Jim Lee's art caught on more fire. Obviously, all of this was reinforced by the inclusion of some of the greatest characters to exist in comics...the X-Men.

My problem is...as good as Jim Lee was and still is, I feel that his art has plateaued. At the same time, the same amount of vibrant energy and powerful illustration has been elevated to the levels of astonishing by Coipel. So why is it that Coipel does not get the same amount of acclaim that Jim Lee is getting?

Is it because the comic book fans of the 90s are the ones that still determine which comics are in and which comics are lame?

Is it because art is subjective, but subjectively...Jim Lee is better than Olivier Coipel?

Is it because Jim Lee is working on characters that more people want to read about than what Coipel is doing?

What is it?
    Olivier Coipel - The best damned artist on the planet!

Shout out to Kev Walker! You're doing a hell of a job!

Find & follow me on Twitter & Instagram. Check out arfguy

If you're trying to be controversial, you're going to have to do better than saying Jim Lee is overrated. It's quite the in thing to bash Jim Lee around here.
    virtue untested is innocence.
    When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember it is still an evil.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    If you're trying to be controversial, you're going to have to do better than saying Jim Lee is overrated. It's quite the in thing to bash Jim Lee around here.
    Pretty much.......

I don't think Jim Lee is overrated.
    He's rated where he should be, people like his work and they buy it, and he is a very successful businessman.

Not trying to be controversial...just wondering if people actually think Jim Lee's art is better than Coipel's. Lee's got a lot going for him. Chief amongst it is that he knows the business. The man was smart enough to go where the money was going to be when he co-founded Image. Then he was smart enough to create a bunch of characters and put together a studio of artists that creating the Wildstorm house style. He brought some great creators into the fold and let them go creatively wild. He sold the studio to DC and then the studio became even more popular.

So he's definitely a better businessman than Coipel. I'm just talking about the art and what makes people crave his art. I really do think that anything Lee can draw, Coipel can draw better. I'm not trying to take anything away from Lee. I'm just saying that Coipel deserves more.
    Olivier Coipel - The best damned artist on the planet!

Shout out to Kev Walker! You're doing a hell of a job!

Find & follow me on Twitter & Instagram. Check out arfguy

This is normally when you'd get a blog, but I like these kinds of posts. When I get time, I will ingest your thoughts thoroughly.

--edit--

The answer to your question is name recognition. I can't spell or pronounce Oliver Coipel's name, but Jim Lee... that has six letters in it!
    Last edited by Mr. Rice; 04-11-2012 at 12:51 PM.
    Comics enjoyed by my Old Lady: Chew, IKG, Saga, JTHM, Ex Machina, Gil Kane's Green Lantern, Wormwood, NYX, Jurgen and JMS's Thor, along with a few others.