Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Last One to Fall Dragonfirexl's Avatar

Default New York, New York

Is DC comics trying to emulate Marvel, because alot of their stories are taking place in th Big Apple, and this is ruining one of my favorite things about DC the lack of real world locactions and the emphasis on fictional ones.

Static-Is currently active in New York.

Tim Drakes Penthouse-The current Headquarters of the Teen Titans.

Supergirl-Has just saved New York and will most likely call the city home.

Blue Beetle-Heading to New York to find a superhero mentor.

Kyle Rayner's Aparment- Located in Manhattan.

Personally these are too many superheros for one city, especially considering one is Supergirl and the other is a Green Lantern, I mean really would you commit a crime knowing either Green Lantern or a Kryptonian could swoop down on you at any moment.
    Once more into the fray,
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day,
    Live and die on this day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfirexl View Post
    Is DC comics trying to emulate Marvel, because alot of their stories are taking place in th Big Apple, and this is ruining one of my favorite things about DC the lack of real world locactions and the emphasis on fictional ones.

Static-Is currently active in New York.

Tim Drakes Penthouse-The current Headquarters of the Teen Titans.

Supergirl-Has just saved New York and will most likely call the city home.

Blue Beetle-Heading to New York to find a superhero mentor.

Kyle Rayner's Aparment- Located in Manhattan.

Personally these are too many superheros for one city, especially considering one is Supergirl and the other is a Green Lantern, I mean really would you commit a crime knowing either Green Lantern or a Kryptonian could swoop down on you at any moment.
    Isn't Captain Atom also in New York. He did create the volcano seen in Static Shock #8.
    Hawkman is also in New York. I hate when they clutter heroes in a city. It makes it less plausible when a villain attacks and the rest of the NY heroes are nowhere to be seen. I know they want you to suspend disbelief but c'mon. I like that in Supergirl they used a force field around the city to stop anyone from interfering.

I just hate how so many are in New York because a) I think NY is probably the most overrated city on the planet. 2) Why does NY deserve all the attention? How many other cities could they use but rarely ever mention? Hell, I was just surprised that in one issue of Nightwing he's in Chicago for a few pages. I was shocked DC even new Chicago even existed based on how often these stories just cram everyone in New York.

Of course Marvel is worse with that. Hell, it seems like half their universe is concentrated in that one state. How is there any crime left to stop? <_<

Quote Originally Posted by Nayrman View Post
    I just hate how so many are in New York because a) I think NY is probably the most overrated city on the planet. 2) Why does NY deserve all the attention? How many other cities could they use but rarely ever mention? Hell, I was just surprised that in one issue of Nightwing he's in Chicago for a few pages. I was shocked DC even new Chicago even existed based on how often these stories just cram everyone in New York.

Of course Marvel is worse with that. Hell, it seems like half their universe is concentrated in that one state. How is there any crime left to stop? <_<
    Because it's a really diverse city and everyone have a backstory.

Still sucks compare to Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.wonderful View Post
    Because it's a really diverse city and everyone have a backstory.

Still sucks compare to Philly.
    There are lots of very diverse cities. Doesn't mean New York deserves a monopoly on all the media and superhero coverage. @_@;;

BANNED

DC should eliminate real world cities

The Slender Man vampiric_cannibal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reginleif View Post
    DC should eliminate real world cities
    Wasn't the original plan for Cry for Justice to destroy every city except Gotham and Metropolis?
    I would like to say for the record that this is the FIRST TIME I've withheld dong when someone was so desperately asking for some.
    Brian C Wood

Well, some of these characters could still work elsewhere like Hawkman and supergirl and static.

Hawkman had midway city, chicago as a setting back in the 80's, why not just put him there.

Static was in Dakota and the move felt arbitrarily.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by vampiric_cannibal View Post
    Wasn't the original plan for Cry for Justice to destroy every city except Gotham and Metropolis?
    I dont know what Cry for Justice is, Im gonna guess; no.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zak213 View Post
    Well, some of these characters could still work elsewhere like Hawkman and supergirl and static.

Hawkman had midway city, chicago as a setting back in the 80's, why not just put him there.

Static was in Dakota and the move felt arbitrarily.
    Ive been reading alot recently on the Milestone characters and they were heavily centred around that one city, weren't they? Dumb move on DC

Maybe DC in NYC don't work that well. Static Shock was in NYC, and it got cancelled. Maybe DC should pump the brakes on all the NYC action.

Quote Originally Posted by Nayrman View Post
    There are lots of very diverse cities. Doesn't mean New York deserves a monopoly on all the media and superhero coverage. @_@;;
    I agree.

Well, if you think about it: There need to be ONE city of Adventure.

Astro City in...Well, Astro City (sure, they deal with Heroes in other towns but Astro City is a Magnent for that Werid Stuff).

Which remind me, What the City of Adventure in DC Universe?

I doubt something from an MMO would make it into actual comic continuity. I just want a bit more diversity in the cities. It's basically, if they want a city that isn't specifically set in California/West beaches, it HAS to be New York, with very rare exceptions. It's just....silly in a way. At this point seeing people fly around and stuff exploding or whatever should just be common daily events for all the heroes crammed in that city. X_X;;

Astro City isn't a MMO, it's a comic book series:

Awell thought out Comic series.

I like the thought of New York as the center of "teenage super-hero activity". Manhattan is the perfect place for teen heroics, in my view. It's also got the great added benefit of being the capital of Art on earth and lots of meta-connections that could be played with.

Hawkman on the other hand makes no sense there to me, or calling any city home. I do like seeing his winged visage placed up against Art Deco pinnacles and peaks, yes ... but operating out of NYC? Hawkman? The guy should be on the road 24/7 digging up bones and relics.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com