Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Silver Age launched a new Green Lantern, Flash and Hawkman - now, it's Wondy's turn!

If somehow, the nu'52 Wonder Woman can co-exist along side the pre-Crisis or post-Crisis Wonder Woman, ..can we live with that? If the new DCU hosts TWO Wonder Woman, who will occasionally team-up against otherworldly threats, isn't that a cause for celebration? WIth Earth Two out there, it's a possibility.

The Silver Age gave us a new Green lantern, Hawkman and Flash; so, why shouldn't we get a new Wonder Woman, with a new origin and backstory? This is very mush in keeping with a DC Comics tradition, when you think about it.

Lennox and Donna Troy can hang out, right? Maybe, ..more.

Maybe, some of us can actually embrace the Azzarello version.
    "I collect beings like him and cut them open--so I can hold in my hand what makes them tick."
    Cassandra on Orion of the New Gods (Wonder Woman #26)

Quote Originally Posted by MelDyer View Post
    If somehow, the nu'52 Wonder Woman can co-exist along side the pre-Crisis or post-Crisis Wonder Woman, ..can we live with that? If the new DCU hosts TWO Wonder Woman, who will occasionally team-up against otherworldly threats, isn't that a cause for celebration? WIth Earth Two out there, it's a possibility.

The Silver Age gave us a new Green lantern, Hawkman and Flash; so, why shouldn't we get a new Wonder Woman, with a new origin and backstory? This is very mush in keeping with a DC Comics tradition, when you think about it.

i could dig it, but I think the DCnU E2 WW won't be like the pre-Crisis E2 WW, which I want back as well. I thought it was cool that WW had grey hair and her daughter was Fury. I suppose it's better than nothing if DCnU did that but I doubt they will. And it'll take forever, I bet.

Yeah, I thinking the Earth 2 Wonder Woman is gonna suck just as bad as the DCnU one we have now. So, no....it wouldn't be cool.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

If we could go back to the Silver Age to do this, and have Silver Age art and Silver Age writing.... might be interesting.

In the current NuDC universe, where even the Batman fans are complaining that Batman is too dark and violent: absolutely not.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

Quote Originally Posted by MelDyer View Post

See, I think this is where DC really screwed up with this whole reintroduction of the Multiverse, as well as the New52 thingy...

Bringing the Multiverse back SHOULD have reinstated the original Multiverse (and an infinite one at that-- 52 Earths? *groan*), and not this "new-niverse multiverse" where new Earth 1's and 2's and 3's are created... Earth 1, 2, etc should have been the pre Crisis versions, where time picks up from where the "ended" or where they have existed and continued, but now are accessible. It should have been:

New Earth: All of the Post Crisis stuff (Perez WW, etc)
    Earth1: Original Silver/Bronze Age
    Earth 2: Original Golden Age
    Earth 3: baddie universe of the Crime Syndicate

Earth 4- Earth?........... can be whatever (plonk an 'Elseworlds" Earth in there-- that's whatthey seem to like to do

Earth 52 : should be this post Flashpoint nu-niverse...

The problem is that everything is so dark now-- there's no real counterpoint to it. DC rejected what really made it cool-- and that is that all of our versions of out characters exist in other worlds. SIlver Age WW can have adventures with Golden Age WW, Barry Allen can chat with Jay, etc.... why dump all of that stuff?

And instead of effing with reality*yet* again (what is this? Like 5 times in as many years?!?) we just shift the focus of our attention to Earth 52, where Diana is the daughter of Zeus (barf), Cyborg is in the JLA (instead of any other number of African American heroes that have been in the JLA), etc. And you know what?-- we could cross over where Post Crisis DIana meets Nu52 Diana and the deal with the differences and beat down a baddie. Or Nu52 JLA has a mission with JSA and E1 JLA-- whatever you could imagine? Why toss out the baby with the bathwater?

Matt

gee-- didn't you like that 70s Flashback tale with Bone and Oneil that was both ugly and completely unreadable? :P

Matt

I was hoping one of the Wonder Woman veterans would point out the obvious. Diana DID indeed get the "Schwartz" reboot treatment but it was executed by Robert Kanigher! That whole "Wonder Peel" business followed in the wake of Batman's "New Look" but I think it may have preceded Superman's "Depowered" reboot by Denny O'Neil, Curt Swan (and Neal Adams?)...
    FAV Comics: Lil' ABNER, DICK TRACY, BATMAN, UNCLE SCROOGE, KAMUI, TOMB OF DRACULA, THE MIGHTY THOR by LEE\KIRBY, WONDER WOMAN by PEREZ\KAREN BERGER, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1-206 and EC COMICS!

Quote Originally Posted by Wonder39 View Post
    See, I think this is where DC really screwed up with this whole reintroduction of the Multiverse, as well as the New52 thingy...

Bringing the Multiverse back SHOULD have reinstated the original Multiverse (and an infinite one at that-- 52 Earths? *groan*), and not this "new-niverse multiverse" where new Earth 1's and 2's and 3's are created... Earth 1, 2, etc should have been the pre Crisis versions, where time picks up from where the "ended" or where they have existed and continued, but now are accessible. It should have been:

New Earth: All of the Post Crisis stuff (Perez WW, etc)
    Earth1: Original Silver/Bronze Age
    Earth 2: Original Golden Age
    Earth 3: baddie universe of the Crime Syndicate

Earth 4- Earth?........... can be whatever (plonk an 'Elseworlds" Earth in there-- that's whatthey seem to like to do

Earth 52 : should be this post Flashpoint nu-niverse...

The problem is that everything is so dark now-- there's no real counterpoint to it. DC rejected what really made it cool-- and that is that all of our versions of out characters exist in other worlds. SIlver Age WW can have adventures with Golden Age WW, Barry Allen can chat with Jay, etc.... why dump all of that stuff?

And instead of effing with reality*yet* again (what is this? Like 5 times in as many years?!?) we just shift the focus of our attention to Earth 52, where Diana is the daughter of Zeus (barf), Cyborg is in the JLA (instead of any other number of African American heroes that have been in the JLA), etc. And you know what?-- we could cross over where Post Crisis DIana meets Nu52 Diana and the deal with the differences and beat down a baddie. Or Nu52 JLA has a mission with JSA and E1 JLA-- whatever you could imagine? Why toss out the baby with the bathwater?

Matt
    I agree with this wholeheartedly. When I found out DC was also rebooted Earth 2 (and for no reason) my hopes of trying to enjoy this Nu52 mess plummeted even further.

Maybe there's still time with this Pandora storyline. Maybe they can keep the DCnU as a type of Ultimate line and return to the real pre-Flashpoint DCU and also reinstate the pre-Crisis Earth 2. I could deal with this. I'd just avoid the DCnU Ultimate line, but it would still be there for those that are enjoying, things could go back to the way they were before Flashpoint in the main books and as a bonus we'd get the original multiverse back. Yay.

The Silver Aging of Wonder Woman was along the lines of Superman and Batman. I mean Wonder Woman was retconned a little by Robert Kanigher in 1958. Then she went through some changes for the mod Diana Prince years in 1968. And then she was returned to something like her earlier Kanigher version in 1973. Superman had some revitalization in 1958 and more in 1971. Batman had additions to his family (and subtractions from his rogues) beginning in 1954 and then more revitalization by Schwartz in 1964, 1968, and 1970.

That's different from the Flash, Green Lantern, and Atom revivals--where the secret identities, origins, and costumes were different. The Atom even had completely different powers. Hawkman was similar to his Golden Age self, with the same name and costume, but a different place of origin.

A Green Lantern-style revival of Wonder Woman has never been done. She's always been somewhat like her earlier iterations. It would be interesting--as a thought experiment--to imagine a totally new version of Wonder Woman based in science rather than myth.

Dead in a comic does not mean dead. No matter what THEY say.

Maybe they should do an Alternate Fringeverse SA book instead. Like this....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What is the Wonder Woman fuss? First issue was almost unreadable.
    Last edited by custodes; 04-11-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Bring back Promethea!

Mark Millar Licks Goats BeccaBlast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LEADER DESSLOK View Post
    I was hoping one of the Wonder Woman veterans would point out the obvious. Diana DID indeed get the "Schwartz" reboot treatment but it was executed by Robert Kanigher! That whole "Wonder Peel" business followed in the wake of Batman's "New Look" but I think it may have preceded Superman's "Depowered" reboot by Denny O'Neil, Curt Swan (and Neal Adams?)...
    Batman "New Look" -- Carmine Infantino's yellow circling of the Bat symbol on the chest -- occurred in 1964.

Superman "Kryptonite No More! (along with Sand-Thing stealing half his powers)" -- that was early 1970's -- I want to say 1972.

Not exactly sure what you're getting at with Kanigher -- but Diana was depowered in 1968 or 1969, when Mike Sekowsky took over -- and stayed that way until Kanigher had a very brief return in 1974. The book was bimonthly back then, so she spent several years in that state.

Does that help?
    Some days a girl wants to ride ponies. Some days a girl wants to punch tanks. Today ... is a tank day.

The current Brian and Cliff version is just fine.

I hope never again to see the crap that festered on her pages for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by This View Post
    The current Brian and Cliff version is just fine.

I hope never again to see the crap that festered on her pages for many years.
    Agreed. Her book ran from terrible to barely average after Rucka left. While I dont care for some of the changes Azzarello has made I will take this run over anything from the last six years or so happily.

As for bringing back the old multiverse and making the current DCU "earth-52" so everyone can have it their way.....

It's a good idea, but not really feasible.

I would assume that this would be so that everyone can read about the universe they enjoyed right? But who is going to write it? Who's going to draw it? And who is going to convince DC to return to a status quo that didnt make money? Especially with the industry in the decline.

That's the real problem with a return to the pre-Flashpoint continuity. You can spin it off as a separate universe or whatever, but the bottom line is it was not selling. So why would a business decide to invest in it again? Even if this current DCU doesnt end up working out, DC will not return to the old history. They will try something new.

I suppose it's possible that DC might try out a line of retro style books at some point. They did some one-shots before the reboot after all. But I dont think we will ever see a large line of pre-FP titles ever again.

When DC introduced alternate Earths before (some of which were versions of previously existing continuities), they didn't create lines for each alternate reality. It's enough to know that these other Earths exist and might be featured in the occasional crossover event--like the classic JLA/JSA annual team ups. Just because DC says there's an Earth 247 that doesn't mean they have to create a title around that Earth--but it brings a smile to the face to think about it.

My idea of a science based Wonder Woman was something I started thinking about when I thought what they could do for a "Earth One" style Wonder Woman--or a TV show.

Like what if Hippolyta was a flower child from the 60s who established a commune on its own island with a lot of other women based on some counter-culture ideology. Somehow they get hold of cloning technology (or maybe they're being manipulated by secret government forces) and they start to produce clone children.

In reality these children are meant to be super agents. Steve Trevor comes to the island on an errand to retrieve one of these test subjects and steals Diana away, back to the United States, where she goes through culture shock while the government attempts to re-program her for their own aims.