Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default EXCLUSIVE: Morrison Unleashes Muscle Mystery in "Flex Mentallo" Collection

Vertigo finally released Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely's "Flex Mentallo" in hardcover, and CBR spoke exclusively to Morrison about Flex's secret origin, Muscle Mystery, and... the prequel?

Full article here.

Probably got too excited when i saw the 'prequel' part of that sentence...only to be let down.

I was thrilled about a year ago when I came across this mini in a $1 bin, and hoped to eventually sell it for $50 like some of the ridiculous auctions I'd seen on eBay.

The release of this hardcover has foiled my plot!

This is fantastic news. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I was thrilled about a year ago when I came across this mini in a $1 bin, and hoped to eventually sell it for $50 like some of the ridiculous auctions I'd seen on eBay.

The release of this hardcover has foiled my plot!
    Keep them both. I like the new coloring, but I like the old as well, and each gives the book a slightly distinct feel, IMHO.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Ek Vitki Runoz Writu CaptMagellan's Avatar

I pre-ordered this about a year ago... and it's finally in the mail! WOOOT!
    "The Way to see by Faith, is to shut the Eye of Reason" - Benjamin Franklin

"Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery." - R.G. Ingersoll

Veteran Member

I don't like the new coloring, I think it misses the point of the whole book.

However, this is still one of the best superhero stories that I've ever read and Morrison's magnum opus so I would buy it even it did'nt have colors at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I don't like the new coloring, I think it misses the point of the whole book.

However, this is still one of the best superhero stories that I've ever read and Morrison's magnum opus so I would buy it even it did'nt have colors at all.
    It doesn't miss the point, it just goes about making it in a different way.

This is the coloring that Quietly wanted and, from that interview, Morrison too.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Got this Hardcover yesterday, going to completely nerd out this weekend and read both the HC and the Mini.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

I came on looking to find out what new readers thought about Flex Mentallo, am tempted to start a new thread asking that very question, but since it will just end up tacked on to this I will just ask the question here:

"WHAT DO YOU ALL ACTUALLY THINK ABOUT 'FLEX MENTALLO'?"

I love it, to be honest, and think its one of Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely's defining works. In the CBR interview(or maybe it was the 'Rolling Stone' interview, I don't know I've been reading a lot of that stuff recently!)he makes the point that it is like a creator owned book, except it isn't because the character first appeared in his 'Doom Patrol' run. In that respect it is definitely a defining work for him, as this type of thing seems to have happened a lot in his career. I was initially impressed by the clear journey through the four comic ages in each issue, as well as the whole discussion on where ideas come from in the later stages of the story. The Glasgow setting, as well as the childhood totems like the man in the moon lamp and situations like the kid drawing superhero comics while the older ones drink and play guitar, all presented as the memories of a potential overdose victim, really stood out and even put the story on what felt like a personal level for me. I honestly can't think of any one thing in 'Flex Mentallo' that I didn't like!
    I haven't actually read the new edition yet, but think the new colouring looks good in previews, and know for a fact it is what both Grant and Frank want for the story, and is so not just some gimmick to sell more copies of this collection. The argument against the colour changes reminds me of how I once felt about changes to the original colouring in both 'Watchmen' and 'The Killing Joke' as I was a huge fan of John Higgins' work on both titles in the late 80's. However, once I had seen the new versions, especially Brian Bolland's amazing story-enhancing job in 'TKJ', I had to admit that there had been room for improvement in the originals.
    Anyway, I'm curios to know what people think of it!
    http://scorpion76-random.blogspot.com <go there for my bullshit opinions!
    Any support/interest will be much appreciated
    my theme tune-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BwQBjJvN5Y

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion 76 View Post
    Anyway, I'm curious to know what people think of it!
    Read it last night . . . don't know what I think of it . . . still processing . . .