Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BANNED

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by WhitOro View Post
    Wonder Woman villains have always been mistreated (actually, not always, you wanna see a badass Cheetah? Check out her Flash appearance) because right in their book they aren’t treated seriously. Remember Gail Simone? During her run WW threaten her to cut her tail if she didn’t talk. Cheetah reaction? Oh no Oh no oh no don’t do that you big bully!
    Same run, Ares, God of War? Defeated with an axe to the face in one panel. You start treating them seriously in you own book, people will start threating them seriously outside.
    It's like heroes, during her run Simone had her cheap 90s style supervillain Genocide beat the hell out of John Stewart and another guy (I think it was Martian M).
    It's not about characters it's baout bad writing.
    This run was a prime opportunity to reinvent and showcase Wonder Woman's classic villains but instead we get the gods as the first crime family that use words instead of guns. Ares could have been a formidable opponent but instead he's a drunken old man that's barely in the story. Yes, I know the story isn't over and I'm sure he'll play a bigger role after he's had his nap- and I doubt it will be on the side of Apollo.

And how is Wonder Woman "a big gun. A member of the Trinity. The Iconic Superfemale" when Power Girl, Supergirl and even Wonder Girl are more powerful than her? Now she's third tier at best.

So now you’re saying Wonder Woman was a member of the Trinity and an Iconic character only because of her powers, uh?
    Let’s get this thing right:
    She’s not less powerful, she’s not less competent, like so many like to scream and whine about.
    A)The fact is, for the first time in so long, her villains are actually treating and powerful, and…

B)she’s involved in action scenes that don’t require her to smack down enemies through monuments and causing major collateral damage.
    What people don’t realize is that up until this point, WW hasn’t been involved in conflicts that require her to destroy a city to win, like Superman does every single issue, she’s been fighting creatures and monsters that require her to think and use her skill of a warrior, not a simple “I can punch my way through a diamond wall”.
    These are comic books, strength and power are very important, even for a powerless character like Batman who with proper preparation can take down the entire Justice League. Wonder Woman can certainly not have stories where she destroys cities now because she's not powerful enough. What DC has done has decreased the kinds of stories that can be told with her in an attempt to broaden her appeal.

And I don’t know what the hell you’re talking about saying Wonder Girl is stronger than her. What kind of Teen Titans have you been reading?
    As long as Wonder Girl can fly she's more powerful than Wonder Woman.

What can a “second rate Sunspot” can do against the JL? You lack creativity dude, if you can’t see what the freakin’ GOD OF THE SUN can do against a group of superheroes. I’m not saying they’re ever going to use him, but hell, it’s a possibility.
    He’s the GOD OF THE SUN. Superman takes power from the sun. He could just steal the energy from his body. He could turn into fire and make the JL-Satellites explode. Again, maybe they’ll never use him, but at least now they a little more motivated, seeing the guy is not an idiot with a bathrobe on anymore. Plus, Apollo is awesome.
    You know you could type GOD OF THE SUN four more times and it still wouldn't impress me. Apollo is a second rate Sunspot and I stand by that assertion. But it does lead to this question, just what have these gods done to endear themselves to so many of you? Why do you give them so much credit for being "all powerful" but with the exception of Hera and to a far lesser extent Strife and Poseidon they haven't done anything particularly impressive. They haven't shown anything super powerful except the ability to make bad puns. Standing around talking doesn't make for an epic battle with the Justice League.

How are they going to shine after they’ve been thrown into the mud?
    I don’t know. I’m not a writer. I hope I’ll become one someday. But it’s not impossible. This is fiction. These are not real people, this is not the real world. You can make stuff up. You can make stuff happen. You can find a solution that doesn’t revolve pushing the reset-button because you’re too lazy to actually think of a solution.
    I grant you that a good writer can redeem the Amazons going forward. Alas Azzarello doesn't appear to be that writer. If he shows Hephaestus was lying or the Amazons were forced into their actions it would be a great thing, but it doesn't negate the fact he assassinated their characters in the first place.

Oh God, I’m actually forcing myself to respond to you Max, because it’s so obvious you have a complete hate for EVERYTHING of this run, it’s not even worth it. Words like “second rate Sunspot” only demonstrate a blatant aggressiveness toward everything in this run for the simple matter that it is in this run. But whatever, I’ve respond anyway, God knows I’m not gonna change your mind anyway and I’m only wasting my time.
    Firstly how is "second rate Sunspot" any worse than "an idiot in a bathrobe"? If I'm biased you are too. Secondly you don't have to force yourself to do anything on my account. If you never respond to me again I may die a little inside and be inconsolable for awhile, but with prayer and perhaps the help of a strong support group I'll eventually get over it, after all time heals all wounds. I'll struggle to move forward, continue to post and my heart will be heavy, but I'll cherish this final reply to me and bookmark this page so I'll remember it always, thank-you WhitOro for deigning to spend this time with me.
    Last edited by Maximum Impact; 04-12-2012 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Impact View Post
    As long as Wonder Girl can fly she's more powerful than Wonder Woman.
    Last edited by WhitOro; 04-12-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Okay, I have to ask who the kind of cute guy is in the pic...

Quote Originally Posted by chastmastr View Post
    Okay, I have to ask who the kind of cute guy is in the pic...
    That's Doctor Edgar Cizko.

That's Doctor Edgar Cizko.
    Doctor Psycho? I wondered... wow, they did make him a bit hot there, didn't they?

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Impact View Post
    These are comic books, strength and power are very important, even for a powerless character like Batman who with proper preparation can take down the entire Justice League. Wonder Woman can certainly not have stories where she destroys cities now because she's not powerful enough. What DC has done has decreased the kinds of stories that can be told with her in an attempt to broaden her appeal.
    The current story line might be easier to take if it were more full of moments of Diana being a triumphant badass. Compare it to the Mass Effect 3 video game. The overall theme of that game is something of a bummer, and many players found the endings disappointing. But the game itself is still fun to play because it is full of Commander Shepard being a badass. They remembered to put that in.

It doesn't matter if Diana's powers are the same, less, or greater than they were before #600. She's still more victim than hero; every step she takes, she's told that some aspect or another of her life is a lie. We aren't being given a legend that's being built. We're constantly getting reminders that a legend is being torn down. This is no way to reboot a comic book.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    The current story line might be easier to take if it were more full of moments of Diana being a triumphant badass. Compare it to the Mass Effect 3 video game. The overall theme of that game is something of a bummer, and many players found the endings disappointing. But the game itself is still fun to play because it is full of Commander Shepard being a badass. They remembered to put that in.

It doesn't matter if Diana's powers are the same, less, or greater than they were before #600. She's still more victim than hero; every step she takes, she's told that some aspect or another of her life is a lie. We aren't being given a legend that's being built. We're constantly getting reminders that a legend is being torn down. This is no way to reboot a comic book.
    It's sad really.