View Poll Results: Whose designs best meet the challenge? NOTE: You can vote fore multiple entries!

Voters
46. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • atoningunifex's AMBUSH BUG & WHITE QUEEN

20 43.48%
  • End of Time's SCARLET WITCH & GAMBIT

24 52.17%
  • AnkaleRa's PHOENIX & AQUAWOMAN

9 19.57%
  • Your Imaginary Pal's DOCTOR DOOM & BLACK CANARY

4 8.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default Project CBRunway 7: Challenge 2 Voting Thread

CHALLENGE 2: GENDER BENDER

Welcome to Project CBRunway!

PLEASE VOTE for any and all entries you feel best complete the challenge. Please vote based on how well the challenge is met, not on art ability. Participants may vote for themselves. Designers will receive a point for each vote they receive. The three contestants who have accumulated the most votes over the eight weekly challenges will move on to CBR Fashion Week.

NOTE: Only registered CBR members with a posting history may vote. Any votes from posters sharing any IP addresses will not be counted, no exceptions. Any fraudulent voting will result in disqualification and a possible permanent forum ban.

CHALLENGE 2: GENDER BENDER
    For your second challenge you must pick two unrelated costumed characters (heroes and/or villains), one a male and the other a female. In this scenario those characters will switch powers, abilities and costumed identities. You must design new costumes for both characters. It must be clear what their new costumed identities are but we must also get a feel for who the original character is.

All submissions should include a three-sentence description of the costume explaining, to the best of your ability, material, functionality, design inspiration, etc. Do not provide any additional information such as biographies or power descriptions unless requested.

Please vote using the poll, then feel free to make comments or ask questions about this challenge or these designs within this thread. Now let's start the show...

Default atoningunifex's AMBUSH BUG & WHITE QUEEN

Quote Originally Posted by atoningunifex
    For my two characters I chose Emma Frost, the White Queen, and Irwin Schwab, the Ambush Bug.

Emma, despite being completely and utterly horrified at the swap of powers and identity, gamely attempts to remake what is essentially a green unitard into something she might conceivably be caught dead wearing. Using the Ambush Bug mask as a pattern on the costume provides a break from the sheer monotony of the Ambush Bug outfit and giving her girls room to breathe reminds people it's really her. The headband- necessary for the teleportation powers to work- can also be pulled down to hide her face from any paparazzi.

Irwin, thrilled at the chance to make Cyclops cry by begging the mutant leader to "lead me like one of your mutant girls", immediately hoofed it down to Plus-Size Pauline's Drag Den and picked up the very last Emma Frost Valentine's Day Mutant Ho-down outfit left on the shelves. While the outfit was meant for someone a touch larger and more adept at tightening and tucking than Irwin (and could be accused of being slightly tacky in both taste and texture) the new White Queen pulls it off with panache. An actual poodle cape and Irwin's prominently displayed Cheeks the Toy Wonder tattoo really bring home the new look associated with the title "White Queen".

Default End of Time's SCARLET WITCH & GAMBIT

Quote Originally Posted by End of Time
    Remy LeBeau's new costume is inspired by his background as a Cajun. It's the South, it's New Orleans, it's Voodoo when it's magic, and it's magic when it's voodoo. It's Remy LeBeau, so I tried to keep it suave. No skull-face, no feathers or shrunken heads, just a nice red suit and some interesting items. It's slick yet dirty. Just because you're a witch, doesn't mean you can't have swagger.

Wanda Maximoff has always had that Gypsy-vibe to her costumes if you ask me, so why not push her further in that direction now that she's the new Gambit. I took the pink from Gambit's original costume, threw in a bunch of references to a stereotypical gypsy maiden from way back when, and voila. Every little coin attached to her costume serves as apotential object to charge and throw. Can you spot the reference to Gambit's trademark playing cards?

Default AnkaleRa's PHOENIX & AQUAWOMAN

Quote Originally Posted by AnkaleRa
    Arthur, the Phoenix King, wears a full set of armor and continues to carry the Trident of Atlantis. Arthur's armor has taken the color scheme of Dark Phoenix.

Queen Jean McKenzie's costume is a reflection of her depression; darker shades of her old Phoenix costume. Upon her breast she added the crest of her new home, Atlantis. "Jean's hair, a gift from the Lady of the Lake, is made from mystical waters. She also carries a harpoon, which she removed from an injured whale.
    Last edited by mattbib; 04-10-2012 at 04:08 PM.

Default Your Imaginary Pal's DOCTOR DOOM & BLACK CANARY

Quote Originally Posted by Your Imaginary Pal
    Dinah Dominatrix has a fetish mask because that's how she rolls. Leather and latex make up her ensemble. She's got them metal gauntlets and stilettos to let people know she means business.

Black Canary wears a simple leather tunic and some snappy boots and gloves and loose fitting silk pants. The signature hood and burned on metal face are must-haves for our friend Victor.

This was a pretty fun round. I had a great time this time and it looks like some other people did as well.

Here are my thoughts on the designs:

Scarlet Witch and Gambit- I like Wanda's new look. I'm not certain about the lampshade head covering, but I think the colors and the design are interesting and fit with the character. I like Remy's new design very, very much, but it doesn't say Scarlet Witch to me, it says Brother Voodoo. Still, it's a great design and a lot of fun.

Phoenix and Aquawoman- Interesting choice of characters there. I like both designs and I think they do mesh the two characters. I would have liked to see a little more yellow in the Aquawoman costume- maybe making the yellow accent symbols larger? But still a cool redesign choice.

Doctor Doom and Black Canary- This one almost works for me, but doesn't quite get there. I think keeping Doom's armor on Doom was a mistake. There are ways you could have covered his face and arms and still incorporated Black Canary's costume (I would have used the fishnet fabric to create a mask or have a stylized creepy bird mask). I'm not super crazy about the Dinah Dominatrix thing, but I think you did a better job incorporating Doom clothing into that redesign. You instantly get the Doom references.

I think all these redesigns are pretty keen!
    Check out 2009's drawings at my new thread on the Artist & Writer Showcase.

"I prefer working out of strict continuity, because no normal human being can have a firm grip on the constantly shifting bardo-like territory of a comics universe, where entire histories can be erased by a strong enough super-sneeze."- Grant Morrison

Ninja Sports Emporium Your Imaginary Pal's Avatar

@Atoning.
    For Victor, after having a metal mask slapped on his face after it just came off the fires, I thought it would be pretty hard to take off without pulling the skin off his face. Also he's still a mad scientist at heart and still Doom. He's still vain and clinging to the core of who he is. Von Doom is is name and he still is the sovereign ruler of Latveria. If he changes too much, his people might see him as an impostor. Guess it might be seen as a misstep though.

Quote Originally Posted by mattbib View Post
    ]

that one looks like this one:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FichaPSP.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	91564

Never seen that before in my life. I was inspired by this Aquaman armor:

Great round guys!

Atoning: Simply FABULOUS! Great choice of characters, even if the combination is a little [read: very] weird. I love the creepy eye ovaries on Ambush Bug and I'm amazed you were able to make the costume look sexy. Kudos. And how did I not guess you'd make a character a transvestite. Disturbing, but it works. The only thing I'm a little turned off/confused by is the poodle cape.

EndofTime: Love everything about Scarlet Witch except the hat. I know what you were going for, but I'm not crazy about it. However, the necklace, the suit, the colors, all great. Now as for Gambit, I'm not so sure of. I like the implementation of othe card symbols and the concept of making her embrace her gypsy roots. I don't like the color choice, especially not the super glittery parts. And I'm not too sure about the veil, how does she see? Otherwise, I think you chose a great combination and it has a lot of potential.

YIP: I love BC. I don't think I'd change a thing. He's menacing, but definitely now a Black Canary. As for the Dominatrix, I'm not really feeling it. I think it might be the face mask and the straps. Black Canary was/is sexy and proud of it. I think she needs to be sexier.

Quote Originally Posted by AnkaleRa View Post
    Great round guys!

Atoning: Simply FABULOUS! Great choice of characters, even if the combination is a little [read: very] weird. I love the creepy eye ovaries on Ambush Bug and I'm amazed you were able to make the costume look sexy. Kudos. And how did I not guess you'd make a character a transvestite. Disturbing, but it works. The only thing I'm a little turned off/confused by is the poodle cape.
    I forgot to add in that the poodle is alive and well and just in a pouch on the cape. Surreal, yes, but not oddly cruel. :)
    Check out 2009's drawings at my new thread on the Artist & Writer Showcase.

"I prefer working out of strict continuity, because no normal human being can have a firm grip on the constantly shifting bardo-like territory of a comics universe, where entire histories can be erased by a strong enough super-sneeze."- Grant Morrison

I don't know which one is the best: White Queen or O-Face Doom.
    Me: Please Marvel, give some spotlight to your 21th century creations instead of killing them every month.
    Marvel: Avengers Arena, lol!
    Classy as always, Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by atoningunifex View Post
    I forgot to add in that the poodle is alive and well and just in a pouch on the cape. Surreal, yes, but not oddly cruel. :)
    White Queen only burns ponies alive.
    X-Poster of the Month: July 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

Hello. Welcome to the Runway. As you know, in fashion and in comic books, one day you're in and the next you're out.

End of Time, congratulations, you are the winner of this challenge, having earned 24 points. You and atoningunifex really met the requirements of this challenge head on.

AnkaleRa and Your Imaginary Pal, you'll need to blow voters away in the next round to make up some of the votes. Good luck!

Auf Wiedersehen!

It's Good to be King. king white's Avatar