More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Default Darwyn Cooke on Why He Initially Said No to 'Before Watchmen'

http://io9.com/5899936/how-do-you-wr...ke-fills-us-in

can remember being approached a few years back by [DC Comics Co-Publisher] Dan DiDio. My initial response was "absolutely not." The reason for that was simple — I consider Watchmen a magnificent book, and I just didn't see doing anything that could live up to it, especially after all of this time. Dan did his best at that point to get me on board. He let me know he wanted me to handle the Minutemen, but I just couldn't see it, so I passed.

When you do this stuff for a living, ideas come through your head day in and day out. It was close to a year later, I suppose, the idea for the Minutemen fell into my head. I sat down, plotted a treatment, and it really got me excited. There was something there I could bring to the party, but it didn't contradict anything Alan and David had done. It fit perfectly into the scenario they had set up for these characters, so I contacted Dan and told him, "Count me in."
    and on Spectre
    Dan was very happy with where that was heading and wanted me to look into taking on the other characters. I really didn't want to do that. I thought I had enough on my plate. He mentioned Nite Owl and Silk Spectre to me. When you're dealing with a piece of work as brilliant as Watchmen, you're looking for areas where the story wasn't focused on.

I started to think about how most of what we see of [Laurie Juspeczyk, Silk Spectre's civilian identity] is a reflection through the eyes of the men she's with. I started thinking about how neat it would be to look at Laurie just as a person. And coming up against the limitations of my abilities, I realized I couldn't pull that off myself convincingly.
    On the Minutemen story
    The Minutemen's story takes place in the past. I've had a certain amount of experience with stories like that. It's very important to be as authentic as possible to the era in order to immerse the reader.

Most of my design cues come straight out of the era. I make sure I'm evoking that in a seeming way, but in a stylized fashion. That entails a lot of kooky stuff, I get right into the weeds with it. I think, "It's 1940. These guys are all in costume, but polyester wasn't invented yet and spandex isn't available. They're wearing wool, like old hockey jerseys. And their logos would look like old crests on felt." Once you get into those kinds of details, it can go on forever.
    and on Moore/Gibbon
    No. But to be quite honest, there's so much transcribed conversation out there that it's easy to tap into the creative intent. I've never met Alan. I know he enjoyed me for a peer. I heard that once from a dependable source, and I think that's wonderful. I have met Dave. He's one of the true gentlemen of the business and an incredible talent. I do know that it's silly to think this way, but I'm assuming, one way or the other, they'll look at Minutemen. I'm just trying to do my best work and hope they don't think it's terrible
    Overall, reading this, has made me excited for Minutemen and I'm soo happy to see how far Cooke is taking this. But as of recently, chances are I probably won't be buying it and wait for it when it get's ordered for my library.
    Last edited by Johnny P. Sartre; 04-09-2012 at 08:56 PM.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Cooke's talent is beyond question or reproach. I'll buy anything he writes or draws, sight unseen.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

I can't wait for Cooke's The Score to come out.

Every time I see that image it sends chills down my spine.
    The 9th Blog

Here's my cynical condensed view of how these events happened:

Didio: $
    Cooke: No
    Didio: $$$
    Cooke: Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Aquadoc View Post

If you check out the comments from that site, several people said the same thing.

Me personally, I'll take Cooke on this and said he came natural after thinking and plotting it out.
    The 9th Blog

Doesn't matter at all why he did it in my opinion, as long as he does his best work. I would still rather it be this group of people over the long list of unqualified writers/artists out there.
    Ever-changing Pulls
    DC - Batman, Aquaman, JL, JLD, JLA, Flash, Constantine, Supes Unchaned, Swampy, Wake
    Image - Saga
    Dark Horse - Star Wars

The 9th Blog

money can't create good ideas no matter how talented you are.
    Bring back X-23's series petition
    https://www.change.org/petitions/mar...n-series-again

Bring back X-23's series facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/X23Fan