Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Bobbie Chase Promotion Highlights DC Staff Shift

Word is out that DC Comics Senior Editor Bobbie Chase has been promoted within the publisher's ranks with more possible moves impacting the day-to-day creation of the DCU line.

Full article here.

It's weird that DC is hiring people that with marvel when they went bankrupt. Why not go after the talent that brought them out of bankruptcy?
    BAD TOUCHSCREEN TYPER

Quote Originally Posted by stewart48 View Post
    It's weird that DC is hiring people that with marvel when they went bankrupt. Why not go after the talent that brought them out of bankruptcy?
    Because they are hiring all their buddies from the 90ies. I mean Jesus freaking Christ they just gave Liefeld 3 books after his Hawk and Dove got cancelled!

The Slender Man vampiric_cannibal's Avatar

If she stops directly editing any books, with her captions that make me foam with anger and rage, I'm happy. To be a nerd about it:
    her editing books = me Red Lantern
    her no editing books = me Blue Lantern

Now, what exactly do senior editors... do?
    I would like to say for the record that this is the FIRST TIME I've withheld dong when someone was so desperately asking for some.
    Brian C Wood

Lawyers? Seriously, I don't think their bankruptcy was due to their creatives. In fact, I don't remember it affecting their comics all that much though the decisions to release twelve issues of the same comic with different comics trying to convience fans they needed them all might have been something they lost.

Great White North Brian from Canada's Avatar

Why not go after the talent that brought them out of bankruptcy?
    They are, actually. Marvel filed for BANKRUPTCY PROTECTION while the shareholders battled for control — Revlon vs. ToyBiz — but the real story comics-wise for those five years was Harras and his creative teams that used "Heroes Reborn," "Heroes Return" and the launch of Marvel Knights (not to mention setting up the Ultimate line) to get Marvel ready for its post-2001 position.

Harras' biggest failing was being unable to get a rise in comic sales based on the X-Men feature film, which would never have happened in any case (read the Claremont comics of that era and you'll easily realize why). He was replaced by Quesada, who promptly shuffled his own friends into writing and editorial positions as most editors do.

But Quesada didn't leave Marvel. And when it comes to people with experience in boosting comic lines, there's not that many people out there with experience. Jim Shooter was already on the outs with Didio over what happened with Legion Of Super-Heroes. DeFalco was still writing for Marvel. Harras was the next former competitor to get, and DC/WB had to know that it would rankle Marvel's board a little to have their former employee lead their competition to the top.

The fact that Harras is bringing some of his old buddies on is par for the course. What matters is the books, and their momentum — and, on that alone, Chase deserves recognition because she's been able to keep up interest in her books and keep readers satisfied. (My guess is that Harras, from her previous position, knows that she's capable of being his #2 and is working that way).

Quote Originally Posted by vampiric_cannibal View Post
    If she stops directly editing any books, with her captions that make me foam with anger and rage, I'm happy. To be a nerd about it:
    her editing books = me Red Lantern
    her no editing books = me Blue Lantern

Now, what exactly do senior editors... do?
    Yeah, her editors notes got annoying, they were just so redundant. They got really annoying in Red Hood 5 "Haven't you been reading the last four issues? -Chastising Chase" its just like... Shut. Up. That contributes NOTHING.

If Bobbie Chase is no longer in charge of Teen Titans, does this mean DC can go back and actually have previous teams of Teen Titans within the past "five year window" again?

Quote Originally Posted by FHIZ View Post
    Yeah, her editors notes got annoying, they were just so redundant. They got really annoying in Red Hood 5 "Haven't you been reading the last four issues? -Chastising Chase" its just like... Shut. Up. That contributes NOTHING.
    Haha, that reminds me of the Spider-Man editor, Stephen Wacker's similar ed notes.

But those are a throwback to early editorial stylizings of Stan "The Man" Lee at the dawn of Marvel Comics, aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    If Bobbie Chase is no longer in charge of Teen Titans, does this mean DC can go back and actually have previous teams of Teen Titans within the past "five year window" again?
    That will happen again eventually. Already the cop out of 'similar teams without the name' has been used.
    I would like to say for the record that this is the FIRST TIME I've withheld dong when someone was so desperately asking for some.
    Brian C Wood

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But those are a throwback to early editorial stylizings of Stan "The Man" Lee at the dawn of Marvel Comics, aren't they?
    Well, that's what it looks like to me.

Then again, I'm an old fart, so it could just be senility.

(Though, to be serious, these things are the LEAST part of editing, and I recall many of them are actually written by the writer on the title).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Word is out that DC Comics Senior Editor Bobbie Chase has been promoted within the publisher's ranks with more possible moves impacting the day-to-day creation of the DCU line.

Full article here.
    Flee! The wave of Post-it notes are upon us!

You realise the writer is most likely to have written those notes?

Quote Originally Posted by RichJohnston View Post
    You realise the writer is most likely to have written those notes?
    OMG its Rich Johnston. He who supplies me with relatively good comic news and rumours (whens The Robins coming out. Probably never, I know. Though if 12 titles are being replaced... Christ this is an overly long bracket)!

It is peculiar only to books she currently edits to have those boxes. I think, IIRC, ones by the same author with different editors tend not to have them.
    Brian C Wood