Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Gone

Seriously.

OH

MY!

GOD!

Quote Originally Posted by Eliseu Gouveia View Post
    Only, I dunno, the level of sheer ignorance?

I mean, "germanic people"?

Let´s not even get into the greeks because that´s Dr. Hurt´s department who can enlighten you so much better than me.
    I mean, Socrates, Plato, Aristoteles, we start getting into greek names, we´ll never leave.

No mention of the romans who gave you the blueprint for the concept of civilization, law, baths, central heating, architecture, CONCRETE, highways, aqueducts, the alphabet, the calendar (try to guess where the names june, July or August came from) or just the notion of army discipline?

No mention of the portuguese who "only" mapped the winds and sea currents from Europe, around Africa, India, China and all the way to friggin JAPAN, effectively opening Europe to the whole friggin WORLD?

No word about the french who gave you literature, arts, cuisine, the declaration of human rights, Voltaire, Descartes, Lavoisier?

Heck, how about the arabs who INVENTED agriculture in the fertile crescent or later on "only" gave you algebra, astronomy, or many basis of modern friggin MEDICINE?
    These?
    0, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9?
    They are ARAB numbers.
    Heck, europeans didn´t even HAVE the zero, it was a concept that had to be hammered into their psyches until it eventually sunk in.
    Prior to them, if you wanted to do calculus (hint: that´s not a german word either), you used roman (not german, ROMAN) numbers.
    Go aead and try to solve this:
    MMCMXLVIII - MDCCCLXXXIX = ?
    Do yourself a favour and go google the word Al Andaluz to learn about the impact of arab civilization in the western world, or what happened when the dark ages europeans got their hands on the books of the Cordoba library.
    Their heads EXPLODED!

What about the chinese who invented, gee, do we WANT to start numbering the chinese and indian contributions to the western world?

Because we´d be here all DAY!
    I raged too hard and wasnt even going to bother anymore, but kudos to you sir for staying calm and replying.

Gone

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    I raged too hard and wasnt even going to bother anymore, but kudos to you sir for staying calm and replying.
    Yeah, seriously.
    I give him props for brushing out names like Archimedes, Leonardo daVinci, Miguelangelo, Charlesmagne, the Medicis family, Homer, Alexander the Great, Ptolomeu, Julius Caesar, Jesus Christ, Napoleon Bonaparte or Galileo Galilei, though.

They are SO easy to forget.... ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Red Bee Jr View Post
    SUPERMAN discovers that his father Jor-El invented a machine that could siphon the life energy from distant planets, killing all their inhabitants while increasing the health and vitality of Kryptonians. It was used several times before it malfunctioned, starting the chain reaction that ultimately destroyed Krypton.

Also, in their earlier days, Jonathan and Martha Kent were members of the Kansas KKK, and were involved in blowing up an African-American church, killing several people. Racist violence was simply part of their culture in those days....

BATMAN, investigating a decades-old religious cult of serial killers, discovers that his parents, Thomas and Martha Wayne, were its founders. The person who killed them before his eyes in Crime Alley was a survivor of their murderous practices. I think we can all agree that, if Bruce has to overcome this horrendous background, it makes it even more impressive that he becomes such a great hero. He decides not to bring the remaining cult members to justice because, firstly, he sort of thinks of them as family, and, secondly, who are we to judge somebody else's religion?

I mean, why not?
    I got this you see this what happens when base your fiction on other fiction,In this case being the Amazons and the writer use parts of the original fiction.For me story is no big deal this part of amazon stories i have read and seen in fiction,I think Hercules show actually if remember correctly had story like this.

Who is to blame when your idealistic utopia of women culture is based on this myth

"In some versions of the myth, no men were permitted to have sexual encounters or reside in Amazon country; but once a year, in order to prevent their race from dying out, they visited the Gargareans, a neighbouring tribe. The male children who were the result of these visits were either killed, sent back to their fathers or exposed in the wilderness to fend for themselves; the females were kept and brought up by their mothers, and trained in agricultural pursuits, hunting, and the art of war. In other versions when the Amazons went to war they would not kill all the men. Some they would take as slaves, and once or twice a year they would have sex with their slaves."

In many telling of myths the Amazon society is as Warlike as the men.You make a good thing out of bad thing who fault is when people remember the bad thing.Every time i saw DC Amazons i have always think of Greek Myths amazons which did some bad things, Now everybody who read current Wonder Woman comics learns of the real myth gets the same thing in the back of the their head.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Luck911 View Post
    I got this you see this what happens when base your fiction on other fiction,In this case being the Amazons and the writer use parts of the original fiction.For me story is no big deal this part of amazon stories i have read and seen in fiction,I think Hercules show actually if remember correctly had story like this.

Who is to blame when your idealistic utopia of women culture is based on this myth

"In some versions of the myth, no men were permitted to have sexual encounters or reside in Amazon country; but once a year, in order to prevent their race from dying out, they visited the Gargareans, a neighbouring tribe. The male children who were the result of these visits were either killed, sent back to their fathers or exposed in the wilderness to fend for themselves; the females were kept and brought up by their mothers, and trained in agricultural pursuits, hunting, and the art of war. In other versions when the Amazons went to war they would not kill all the men. Some they would take as slaves, and once or twice a year they would have sex with their slaves."

In many telling of myths the Amazon society is as Warlike as the men.You make a good thing out of bad thing who fault is when people remember the bad thing.Every time i saw DC Amazons i have always think of Greek Myths amazons which did some bad things, Now everybody who read current Wonder Woman comics learns of the real myth gets the same thing in the back of the their head.

That's what makes this run so tired and stupid. These Amazons are just like all the other evil Amazons throughout antiquity. It's a story that's been told before, over and over again that requires no imagination or creativity. All Azzarello needed was a healthy dose of cynicism and a willingness to destroy instead of uplift.

The hilarious irony of all this is is that this is probably the loudest, most dramatic backlash of any of the changes in the New 52 and Azzarello is the creator least likey to actually give a !#$%.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fused View Post
    The hilarious irony of all this is is that this is probably the loudest, most dramatic backlash of any of the changes in the New 52 and Azzarello is the creator least likey to actually give a !#$%.
    He will once the numbers fall.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Eliseu Gouveia View Post
    Only, I dunno, the level of sheer ignorance?

I mean, "germanic people"?

Let´s not even get into the greeks because that´s Dr. Hurt´s department who can enlighten you so much better than me.
    I mean, Socrates, Plato, Aristoteles, we start getting into greek names, we´ll never leave.

No mention of the romans who gave you the blueprint for the concept of civilization, law, baths, central heating, architecture, CONCRETE, highways, aqueducts, the alphabet, the calendar (try to guess where the names june, July or August came from) or just the notion of army discipline?

No mention of the portuguese who "only" mapped the winds and sea currents from Europe, around Africa, India, China and all the way to friggin JAPAN, effectively opening Europe to the whole friggin WORLD?

No word about the french who gave you literature, arts, cuisine, the declaration of human rights, Voltaire, Descartes, Lavoisier?

Heck, how about the arabs who INVENTED agriculture in the fertile crescent or later on "only" gave you algebra, astronomy, or many basis of modern friggin MEDICINE?
    These?
    0, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9?
    They are ARAB numbers.
    Heck, europeans didn´t even HAVE the zero, it was a concept that had to be hammered into their psyches until it eventually sunk in.
    Prior to them, if you wanted to do calculus (hint: that´s not a german word either), you used roman (not german, ROMAN) numbers.
    Go aead and try to solve this:
    MMCMXLVIII - MDCCCLXXXIX = ?
    Do yourself a favour and go google the word Al Andaluz to learn about the impact of arab civilization in the western world, or what happened when the dark ages europeans got their hands on the books of the Cordoba library.
    Their heads EXPLODED!

What about the chinese who invented, gee, do we WANT to start numbering the chinese and indian contributions to the western world?

Because we´d be here all DAY!
    Uh...I said the Germans founded Western civilization, I was not talking about the civilization as a whole, which is, by my definition, England, France, Northern Italy, the Low Countries, Scandinavia and Germany. By 'Germans' I am referring to the 'barbarians' who over took much of the Western Roman Empire, who were 'germanic.' So peoples like the Franks, Saxons, Anglos, Burgundians, Goths, etc and latter the Norse.

Infâme et fier de l'ętre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reginleif View Post
    Uh...I said the Germans founded Western civilization, I was not talking about the civilization as a whole, which is, by my definition, England, France, Northern Italy, the Low Countries, Scandinavia and Germany. By 'Germans' I am referring to the 'barbarians' who over took much of the Western Roman Empire, who were 'germanic.' So peoples like the Franks, Saxons, Anglos, Burgundians, Goths, etc and latter the Norse.
    They didn't established much though, appart from a thousand years long dark age of ignorance. Western civilization pretty much started to evolve beyond the barbary that was Middle Age when they rediscovered Greek scientists and philosophers, assimilated it and tried to improve on them. That's what in France we called "Le Renaissance", the french term from "Rebirth". Because our civilization had a rebirth when we rediscovered what the Greeks already knew about mathematics, geometry, philosophy, astrology.....
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    They didn't established much though, appart from a thousand years long dark age of ignorance. Western civilization pretty much started to evolve beyond the barbary that was Middle Age when they rediscovered Greek scientists and philosophers, assimilated it and tried to improve on them. That's what in France we called "Le Renaissance", the french term from "Rebirth". Because our civilization had a rebirth when we rediscovered what the Greeks already knew about mathematics, geometry, philosophy, astrology.....
    I did not say they established alot, but the 'Renaissance' itself is somewhat a misnomer, as much of the essential medical, philisophical etc texts were known throughout the Middle Ages. This is why bloodletting was a common method of curing disease, which by the way is stupid and inferior to traditional herbal remedies. This is also the reason why it was known the Earth was round too. Certainly the 'renaissance' did unearth alot of useful information, but it dredged up more misinformation, which is why much of the post-Renaissance period was about challenging the claims of these texts, and ultimently disproving them.

Infâme et fier de l'ętre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reginleif View Post
    I did not say they established alot, but the 'Renaissance' itself is somewhat a misnomer, as much of the essential medical, philisophical etc texts were known throughout the Middle Ages. This is why bloodletting was a common method of curing disease, which by the way is stupid and inferior to traditional herbal remedies. This is also the reason why it was known the Earth was round too. Certainly the 'renaissance' did unearth alot of useful information, but it dredged up more misinformation, which is why much of the post-Renaissance period was about challenging the claims of these texts, and ultimently disproving them.
    That doesn't matter. The society we know today has been created with the Greek ans Roman society as a foundation. We have much more in common with them than with the barbaric tribes that invaded the Roman Empire.
    Besides, we didn't disprove that much. Sure, medicine has evolved a lot compared to what they had, but our geometry is based on Greeks theoremes: Pythagore, Thales.....We still learn about that in school. Coppernic and Gallilee had the idea to check if earth was round or not because they knew of Greek texts that theorized it's probably the case. Its philoshy has influenced us much more than any other. What did the Tribes ever gave us? They defined the Europeans countries (and even then, France as it is now has very different limits than France as it was when Clovis was king)?
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Impact View Post
    He will once the numbers fall.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hopedemotivator.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	91672

ten characters

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    That doesn't matter. The society we know today has been created with the Greek ans Roman society as a foundation. We have much more in common with them than with the barbaric tribes that invaded the Roman Empire.
    Besides, we didn't disprove that much. Sure, medicine has evolved a lot compared to what they had, but our geometry is based on Greeks theoremes: Pythagore, Thales.....We still learn about that in school. Coppernic and Gallilee had the idea to check if earth was round or not because they knew of Greek texts that theorized it's probably the case. Its philoshy has influenced us much more than any other. What did the Tribes ever gave us? They defined the Europeans countries (and even then, France as it is now has very different limits than France as it was when Clovis was king)?
    Yes, but those same people are claimed to have learned philosophy and math from earlier civilizations. The pre-Socratics developed in Italy and Ionia first, among the colonies there, which makes sense since they had the most interaction with foreign culture. Also I strongly disagree with your claim that Roman administration influenced future statehood in Europe. It certainly did influence how the church was organized, but not how states were. Early France for instance was governed like a household, much like how a tribe was governed. Ultamently when feudalism developed from this kind of thinking, it would become the dominate form of government until the 19th century, and even then, it still significantly influences the culture of these states (like England)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hopedemotivator.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	91672

ten characters

FINAL March 2012 Sales Reports are in:
    The sales numbers listed below are from ComicChron:

25 WONDER WOMAN #7 $2.99 51,314 (down 2,876 copies)

for comparison on other female-centric titles:

28 BATWOMAN #7 $2.99 46,874 (down 2,353 copies)

30 BATGIRL #7 $2.99 45,685 (down 2,151 copies)

48 CATWOMAN #7 $2.99 35,647 (down 1,655 copies)

55 SUPERGIRL #7 $2.99 33,337 (down 1,510 copies)

70 BUFFY TVS S9 #7 $2.99 28,908 (down 970 copies)

73 BIRDS OF PREY #7 $2.99 26,276 (down 1,062 copies)

84 HUNTRESS #6 $2.99 21,678 (down 581 copies)

Of all the female-centric books, Wonder Woman had the largest sales drop.
    And remember that these are retail orders, so the shocking revelations in issue #7 wouldn't have affected these sales yet.
    Check back for the issue #9-10 orders to see if readers significantly left or joined the series with issue #7.

---------------------------

Some comparisons to earlier issues of Wonder Woman:

Mar 2012 25 WONDER WOMAN #7 $2.99 51,314 (down 2,876 copies) (with variant cover)
    Feb 2012 15 WONDER WOMAN #6 $2.99 54,190 (down 3,436 copies) (with variant cover)
    Jan 2012 16 WONDER WOMAN #5 $2.99 57,626 (down 49 copies) (with variant cover)
    Dec 2011 16 WONDER WOMAN #4 $2.99 57,675 (down 7,946 copies)
    Nov 2011 17 WONDER WOMAN #3 $2.99 65,621 (down 13,439 copies)
    Oct 2011 13 WONDER WOMAN #2 $2.99 79,060 (down 2,846 copies)
    Sep 2011 13 WONDER WOMAN #1 $2.99 95,902 (up 66,679 copies) (with variant cover)

Aug 2011: Wonder Woman #614 $2.99 29,223 (down 497 copies) (with variant cover - FINAL v3)
    July 2011: Wonder Woman #613 $2.99 29,720 (down 970 copies) (with variant cover)
    June 2011: Wonder Woman #611 $2.99 30,874 (down 128 copies) (with variant cover)
    June 2011: Wonder Woman #612 $2.99 30,690 (down 184 copies) (with variant cover)

Max your butthurt is hilarious. May i suggest some laxatives?