Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default Coming Soon to the DCnU Trinity

SUPERMAN discovers that his father Jor-El invented a machine that could siphon the life energy from distant planets, killing all their inhabitants while increasing the health and vitality of Kryptonians. It was used several times before it malfunctioned, starting the chain reaction that ultimately destroyed Krypton.

Also, in their earlier days, Jonathan and Martha Kent were members of the Kansas KKK, and were involved in blowing up an African-American church, killing several people. Racist violence was simply part of their culture in those days....

BATMAN, investigating a decades-old religious cult of serial killers, discovers that his parents, Thomas and Martha Wayne, were its founders. The person who killed them before his eyes in Crime Alley was a survivor of their murderous practices. I think we can all agree that, if Bruce has to overcome this horrendous background, it makes it even more impressive that he becomes such a great hero. He decides not to bring the remaining cult members to justice because, firstly, he sort of thinks of them as family, and, secondly, who are we to judge somebody else's religion?

I mean, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Bee Jr View Post
    SUPERMAN discovers that his father Jor-El invented a machine that could siphon the life energy from distant planets, killing all their inhabitants while increasing the health and vitality of Kryptonians. It was used several times before it malfunctioned, starting the chain reaction that ultimately destroyed Krypton.

Also, in their earlier days, Jonathan and Martha Kent were members of the Kansas KKK, and were involved in blowing up an African-American church, killing several people. Racist violence was simply part of their culture in those days....

BATMAN, investigating a decades-old religious cult of serial killers, discovers that his parents, Thomas and Martha Wayne, were its founders. The person who killed them before his eyes in Crime Alley was a survivor of their murderous practices. I think we can all agree that, if Bruce has to overcome this horrendous background, it makes it even more impressive that he becomes such a great hero. He decides not to bring the remaining cult members to justice because, firstly, he sort of thinks of them as family, and, secondly, who are we to judge somebody else's religion?

I mean, why not?
    Pretty much nailed my thoughts on the subject. I'd love to see the people currently hailing the changes to the Amazons spout the same lines if it was Superman or Batman we were talking about.
    "Nice girls don't wear Cha-Cha Heels"
    -John Water's Female Trouble

BANNED

Edit: Never mind, I think I'm done with this topic.

Wacktose Intolerant monkeysweat's Avatar

If the stories were told well, I'd love them. Most important to me is that stories are interesting and told well.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeysweat View Post
    If the stories were told well, I'd love them. Most important to me is that stories are interesting and told well.
    Pretty much this. It all comes down to the execution of the story, and as long as it's done well then I'll give it a fair chance and read it and probably enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Edit: Never mind, I think I'm done with this topic.
    Strangely, I'm beginning to feel that way too. Maybe all of these divergent threads that are all about the same thing could be combined into one massive "We all hate Azzarello's Amazons and new paradigm for Wonder Woman, and want our old Diana and Paradise Island and benevolent patron deities and Amazons and clay origin and so on" hatefest. Mind you, I'm speaking as one of the people who strongly feels that way myself, but I feel as if there are just too many threads saying the same thing to keep up with.

Oh my! It's time for the Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza! Gotta go... :)

How many threads about this topic do we need till you guys have sufficiently vented your rage?

Like the always wise Mr. Holmes i am not gonna take part in this anymore. I'll just say this before i leave: Its a god damn comic book, not the end of the world. Get some perspective. If it's a good new take, it will stick and y'all just have to deal with it. If it's bad they ll get back to the same ol' same ol'.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by EricAD View Post
    Pretty much nailed my thoughts on the subject. I'd love to see the people currently hailing the changes to the Amazons spout the same lines if it was Superman or Batman we were talking about.
    We already did with Batman and it was awesome.

Haha, I like your ideas Red Bee Jr. Don't get upset folks, join in the fun.

GL - Hal's dad didn't die in an accident. He was a traitor selling secrets to our enemies. And he as having an affair with Carol's mommy (you know what that mean?). He knew he'd be arrested soon and blew himself up.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    We already did with Batman and it was awesome.
    If I may, which story/changes are you referring to?
    Last edited by americanwonder; 04-08-2012 at 01:22 PM.
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

Didn't Morrison kinda tease readers with a seedy past for the Waynes?
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    Tease*, sure. But none of it was true, iirc - which may also be the case here.

*Personally, I would have liked to see it stick. People think the Amazons are boring and unrealistic? Well, check out the Waynes, I say.
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    Dr. Hurt tried to convince Bruce that his parents weren't the moral ideal parents he thought they were. Martha was supposedly on drugs or just plain drunk and Thomas was (if I remember it correctly) sleeping with other women. Hurt eventually started to try and impose the notion that he was Thomas Wayne...turned out in the end he was one of Thomas' patients. But that was after all the weirdness that followed Bruce's Darkseid enforced trip through time. (You think after that kind of trip the Court of Owls would be a pushover)

Gone

Quote Originally Posted by americanwonder View Post
    *Personally, I would have liked to see it stick. People think the Amazons are boring and unrealistic? Well, check out the Waynes, I say.
    The difference of course is that the Waynes hardly get the facetime in the Batbooks that the amazons get on the Wonderbooks.

I think the OP makes an interesting point. If your parents are evil scientists, you will be evil (but apparently not a scientist?!?). If they are racists, you will be racists. And if they are evil, then you deserve every bad thing the world has to throw at you as their child. And if we continue this to Wonder Woman, you are the product of everyone on your street. It makes sense and definitely the way the world works.

I did not catch enough fishies to win. :sad:

I do think these changes will be undone one way or another--possibly later, possibly sooner. Some aspects may stick but I suspect they will not be the really big game-changing things. Just looking back at most of DC's and Marvel's histories, I think this will come back around again. (This applies to changes I might like, too, like Clark's and Lois' marriage along with Peter's and Mary Jane's. Bucky is alive again over at Marvel, but Steve is still Captain America, and so on.)