Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by TZDEKA View Post
    One thing I enjoyed about Morrison's Joker was the fact that his appeal didn't really lie in how horrible he was, though he still was pretty horrible, but more in how "differently sane" he was. He sees and thinks of connections that others don't, and I think that's an aspect of the Joker that isn't used enough. It was sort of the same in The Laughing Fish in the way he thought fish having his smile should mean he has the rights to all fish-based profits. I think more people need to have fun with his insanity in those sorts of ways as opposed to just "He's laughing and something horrible is happening! Whoa!" It's easier said than done I guess, but it might be cool if some of the ways he tried to ruin people's lives were ways sane people wouldn't even realize could ruin lives until it happened to them, which could sort of combine those separate aspects of the character.

While I think the jury may be out on Snyder's version of the Joker still since his main Joker story hasn't even started yet, one thing I did like from his appearance in The Black Mirror was the idea that he didn't actually break out of Arkham to do harm. He did it to sort of cocoon himself under Gotham and emerge a new Joker, though he was foiled in his efforts. That's also why I actually thought what he did in Detective 1 sort of worked for him, because it was yet another extreme of trying to reinvent himself. That stuff, the really delving into his sanity and how he views the world depending on whichever personality he's currently wearing...that is more interesting to me than simply being brutal and laughing about it.
    When i listened to the podcast last night, one of the interviewers made a comment that the Joker wasn't scary compared to James Jr., because the Joker was so obsessed with specifically hurting Batman, while James Jr. was out to hurt everyone. It made sense in a way, that it's gotten maybe too personal between Batman and the Joker, so much so that he's almost defined by what he's done to the Waynes and the Gordons.

I'm all for him stepping out of his "comfort zone", so to speak. Maybe Snyder will have a Joker that behaves more like the court of owls, in that Batman is an annoyance to him, not the motivation behind what he's doing.

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    What is RHATO?
    Oh, it stands for:

RedHood And The Outlaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.wonderful View Post
    Oh, it stands for:

RedHood And The Outlaws.
    Yeah, but apparently Harley Quinn hasn't been in that book.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by tylenoljones View Post
    When i listened to the podcast last night, one of the interviewers made a comment that the Joker wasn't scary compared to James Jr., because the Joker was so obsessed with specifically hurting Batman, while James Jr. was out to hurt everyone. It made sense in a way, that it's gotten maybe too personal between Batman and the Joker, so much so that he's almost defined by what he's done to the Waynes and the Gordons.

I'm all for him stepping out of his "comfort zone", so to speak. Maybe Snyder will have a Joker that behaves more like the court of owls, in that Batman is an annoyance to him, not the motivation behind what he's doing.
    It sorta sounds like that, yeah. Though the way Snyder described it sounds like it's still something of a reaction to Batman. With the "I'm not just some member of your rogues gallery" stuff, it sounds like he's trying to prove to Batman why he's his arch-enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    Yeah, but apparently Harley Quinn hasn't been in that book.
    Huh?

No, not even a peep. Haven't seen her once. Dick Cameo a few times in FlashBack but that's all along with Bruce and Alfred.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.wonderful View Post
    Huh?

No, not even a peep. Haven't seen her once. Dick Cameo a few times in FlashBack but that's all along with Bruce and Alfred.
    Well, see, I asked what the acronym was because somebody posted:
    "not relating to this,i thought the harley quinn backstory in RHATO was great at potraying the joker..."
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Harley only starred in Sucide Squad series as far as as I can tell.

Hence my confusion about what was meant by RHATO...

a nasty piece of work Let's Kill Hitler's Avatar

I'll wait and see what Snyder actually has in store before I actually comment on it. It would nice to get a really good joker story again though, it's been a long time.

It's interesting to me that Snyder get's a similar reception to Morrison now a days, some adore everything he writes and some seem to be out to get him whatever he does.

I don't really like the sounds of this, but I have liked pretty much everything Snyder has done with Batman so I'll wait to see before I get too concerned.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor