Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Fraction's Defenders Vol. 1 TP hits in June --Worth the buy?

I've been keeping my eye on this book since it launched, but I still can't decided if I want to throw down my $$$ on it.

So, for those who read it, what's your take on the 1st arc? Am I getting Iron Man Fraction (good) or FI Fraction (run for the hills)?

You're getting some eyebrow-raising characterization in places (Doctor Strange as a sexual predator? Really?) and a three-issue starting arc which is mainly just a pretext to get the Defenders into the story. But the fourth issue was a vast improvement and he seems to have found his footing, so I think it'll get better.

If you liked the old-school "we are NOT a team" Defenders vibe, I think you'll like this.

BANNED

I thought the first three issues were lame, but the fourth was one of the best issues I've read all year, so...maybe?

I read the first and second issues of the series, but there are reasons why I stopped there. I am currently reading two of Fraction's three books (obviously not counting Cassanova) and those two books tend to be my favorite reads; this may or may not say something about how I feel about his Defenders.

I don't want to say that Defenders is "run to the hills" Fraction, but IMO, it at least straddles the line.
    Last edited by Hulk_Is; 04-06-2012 at 09:17 PM.
    Marvel : Moon Knight, Savage Hulk (6/25), Original Sin (5/7)

DC : Aquaman, Aquaman & the Others

I don't think you can judge it by the first three issues. For one, Fraction himself thinks they're not too great, and for two, the broader implications are still coming out.

That's one thing I'm coming to like about Fraction after reading Bendis for so long. Bendis will resolve a plot point and then never come back to it again, so even if you're dissatisfied with the resolution he gave it, well... that's all you get. Fraction will come back to story elements and develop them a bit more, so if something resolves and it seems 'unfinished,' it probably is and he's going to revisit it later.

Quote Originally Posted by chariset View Post
    I don't think you can judge it by the first three issues. For one, Fraction himself thinks they're not too great, and for two, the broader implications are still coming out.

That's one thing I'm coming to like about Fraction after reading Bendis for so long. Bendis will resolve a plot point and then never come back to it again, so even if you're dissatisfied with the resolution he gave it, well... that's all you get. Fraction will come back to story elements and develop them a bit more, so if something resolves and it seems 'unfinished,' it probably is and he's going to revisit it later.
    I don't think you can judge the story after a couple of issues, no, but you can judge other things. I judged the characterizations and the pacing of his stories and I disagreed with both of those. And, those were enough to put me off from even caring about following the storyline.

There is a possibilty the OP will enjoy the characters and overall story whereas I did not.
    Last edited by Hulk_Is; 04-06-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyHulk View Post
    I've been keeping my eye on this book since it launched, but I still can't decided if I want to throw down my $$$ on it.

So, for those who read it, what's your take on the 1st arc? Am I getting Iron Man Fraction (good) or FI Fraction (run for the hills)?
    It is considerably closer to IM Fraction than FI Fraction imo. It does depend on what you enjoy though.

BANNED

Maybe just buy Defenders #4? That book is really good

You're getting some eyebrow-raising characterization in places (Doctor Strange as a sexual predator? Really?) and a three-issue starting arc which is mainly just a pretext to get the Defenders into the story. But the fourth issue was a vast improvement and he seems to have found his footing, so I think it'll get better.

If you liked the old-school "we are NOT a team" Defenders vibe, I think you'll like this.
    A sexual encounter between two consenting adults does not make one a sexual predator.... She was not his student. She came to him to do research, though he was not teaching a class nor her professor, etc.. They had sex. He was in a lonely place in his life though and admitted it was probably not the best choice for either one of them. It was a well told story, so folks, -my verdict- it is a great story, (including the Dr. Strange characterization) and I think it's well worth anyone's time to read.
    Last edited by Zagreus; 04-06-2012 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NickFury90 View Post
    Isn't that the issue when the art changed?

Quote Originally Posted by NickFury90 View Post
    Michael Lark makes everything better. He should be the regular artist

Dead in a comic does not mean dead. No matter what THEY say.

This book has potential. I'm looking foward to the next few issues.

I was thinking about checking this out in trade, but I'm a bit discouraged by this. The writer has said he doesn't think it's very good?

Where and when did Fraction say that? I recall him only saying he was still trying to find his leggings with the book right around the third issue.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

I'm sure I remembered him saying that they were working on six or seven and that they'd made some mistakes back in #2 -- that some parts of it hadn't quite worked, but they were finding their feet now. It wasn't "I'm ashamed of this and I cast it from me;" more like "We were still learning then but we've pretty much got a handle on it now."