Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

I don't personally care for that kind of comic, but I don't see why insulting people is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I don't personally care for that kind of comic, but I don't see why insulting people is necessary.
    I don't see how I am insulting people by pointing out that when you aim for the lowest common denominator, that that is what you tend to reach...
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by WhitOro View Post
    I agree. In fact I almost wanted to add "Unless you're Frank Miller this doesn't work."
    Or if you were someone like Mickey Spillane.

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    I don't see how I am insulting people by pointing out that when you aim for the lowest common denominator, that that is what you tend to reach...
    As someone who does enjoy Detective, I take offense to your comment. The way I see it, you're basically calling me an idiot with dirt poor taste.
    Last edited by davidn15; 04-09-2012 at 12:09 PM.
    Currently Reading: The Authority, Bone

Comics Of Days Past - Reading the greats of yesteryear

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by davidn15 View Post
    As someone who does enjoy Detective, I take offense to your comment. The way I see it, you're basically calling me an idiot with dirt poor taste.
    yeah but white rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by direction9 View Post
    yeah but white rabbit
    I'm not exactly sure what this means...

BANNED

I'm not exactly sure what this means...
    oh i'm thinking of dark knight, not detective.
    those two run together in my mind.

I feel the same way as davidn15 as someone who is also enjoying Detective among other DC comics. I fail to see how that makes me a part of "the lowest common denominator" just because I'm enjoying a book that you apparently don't.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

BANNED

I think what he said can be offensive, but it's still a valid opinion on how this book is being written, even if you just disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    I think what he said can be offensive, but it's still a valid opinion on how this book is being written, even if you just disagree.
    I'll readily admit the book has flaws. Chances are if I was going to drop a DC book, it would be Detective.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    Spider-Man has an excuse that Batman doesn't have though: Spider-Man has powers. As the saying goes, with great power comes great responsibility. Spider-Man doing what he does isn't crazy behaviour because his powers both give him an obligation to be a vigilante and give him the ability and protection to do so. This applies for most other superheroes as well. And since his powers come from a spider it also makes sense for him to go with a whole spider motif. But why does Batman dress up like a bat? To scare people. Why bats specifically? Is it because he himself is scared of bats and wants to use his own fear as a weapon against his enemies? If so then thats another 10lbs of crazy right there. Is it because he was near death when a bat crashed through his window and landed on a bust of his father and he interpreted it as his father giving him a sign? If so then ohhhhh boy, Bruce is stocking up on crazy by the gross!

That being said, for all my talk of Batman being crazy I don't think its a bad thing. He still goes out and does good things. He channels his potentially dangerous mental condition into something good. Being crazy isn't being an asshole. However, its still pretty dark stuff.
    I can't say that I agree with this idea that Spider-Man's nature gives him an out as far as not being seen as crazy. First, someone with superhuman power would find it even easier to exploit others, so having all that vast power, put rarely using it, could be seen as being "crazy" to some. I don't agree with it, but there you go. Also, I think you're reading too much into the Bat motiff. Sure, a writer COULD add all that psychological stuff in there, but then again another writer could clearly show that it was simply an inspired conceptual idea by Bruce, since in his world color costumes were the "norm" for vigilantes. Maybe he just thought the old style "Shadow" trench coat and hat look had been "done"? ;)

Anyway, here is part of the write-up on why Batman isn't insane from that Batman sourcebook that I poorly remembered:

"Bruce Wayne and the Batman have chosen a more active way to banish the fear. Instead of accepting passive methods to fend it off, the Batman attacks that which makes him afraid. Just as the bat scared him as a child, the Batman visits fear on the thugs and outlaws that inspire fear in others. In waging his war against fear, the Batman turns it back on the peoploe who create it, thereby using the fear to his advantage.

Is that madness? It is preferable not to think so. It may be that the Batman's methods represent the ultimate in sanity because, in a logical and consistent way, he accepts full responsibility for his methods and makes fear consume itself. He checks himself from wholesale slaughter because he realizes that such action would cause more than the criminals to fear him.

This is where the Batman draws the line. And the line between sanity and madness is awfully thin. He may dance along its razor edge, but his feet are firmly planted in reality--no matter how insane that reality might appear from his point of view."
    "I was handed a chocolate bar and an M-1 rifle and told to go kill Hitler."--Jack "King" Kirby

I'll readily admit the book has flaws. Chances are if I was going to drop a DC book, it would be Detective.
    I don't think I've even said anything about the quality of Detective Comics, other that saying I'm not very impressed by Tony Daniel, who I've disliked since I had to tolerate his art in Morrison's Batman run. He's not a good comic artist, at best he's an okay pinup artist. He at several times misunderstood the script, or lacked the skills to accurately turn the script into panels.

But the kind of Batman book he's writing, violent and more extreme and darker than most other current Batman books, it doesn't matter if it's done shodilly or if it's the most well-written, layered book DC has published since Watchmen. When you start out with the Joker having his face cut off, you're going to attract an audience that is not very critical of what they're reading and just want blood and gore.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    When you start out with the Joker having his face cut off, you're going to attract an audience that is not very critical of what they're reading and just want blood and gore.
    And that doesn't describe me (and I'm sure plenty of other Detective readers). If I was reading this book for blood and gore, I would be terribly disappointed. Heck if I wanted blood and gore, I don't think any superhero comic would come close except Invincible. I don't find this book to be terribly violent or extreme. I'm reading it because I'm enjoying the stories. The writing could be better, the art could be more consistent, but overall I like the product I'm getting.
    Last edited by davidn15; 04-10-2012 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brannon View Post
    I can't say that I agree with this idea that Spider-Man's nature gives him an out as far as not being seen as crazy. First, someone with superhuman power would find it even easier to exploit others, so having all that vast power, put rarely using it, could be seen as being "crazy" to some. I don't agree with it, but there you go. Also, I think you're reading too much into the Bat motiff. Sure, a writer COULD add all that psychological stuff in there, but then again another writer could clearly show that it was simply an inspired conceptual idea by Bruce, since in his world color costumes were the "norm" for vigilantes. Maybe he just thought the old style "Shadow" trench coat and hat look had been "done"? ;)

Anyway, here is part of the write-up on why Batman isn't insane from that Batman sourcebook that I poorly remembered:

"Bruce Wayne and the Batman have chosen a more active way to banish the fear. Instead of accepting passive methods to fend it off, the Batman attacks that which makes him afraid. Just as the bat scared him as a child, the Batman visits fear on the thugs and outlaws that inspire fear in others. In waging his war against fear, the Batman turns it back on the peoploe who create it, thereby using the fear to his advantage.

Is that madness? It is preferable not to think so. It may be that the Batman's methods represent the ultimate in sanity because, in a logical and consistent way, he accepts full responsibility for his methods and makes fear consume itself. He checks himself from wholesale slaughter because he realizes that such action would cause more than the criminals to fear him.

This is where the Batman draws the line. And the line between sanity and madness is awfully thin. He may dance along its razor edge, but his feet are firmly planted in reality--no matter how insane that reality might appear from his point of view."
    Theres "crazy" and theres crazy. Spider-Man not using his power to exploit people is "crazy", in the "Oh man I can't believe you aren't doing that!" kind of way. You know, crazy but not a mental illness. Batman? Thats a mental illness, or at the very least a personality disorder or three. Thats the scary kind of crazy. When you ramp up that kind of crazy you end of with the Zur-En-Arrh nuttiness. You know, running around in a wacky costume beating people up with a blunt weapon.

And since when is Batman one to follow trends?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    Theres "crazy" and theres crazy. Spider-Man not using his power to exploit people is "crazy", in the "Oh man I can't believe you aren't doing that!" kind of way. You know, crazy but not a mental illness. Batman? Thats a mental illness, or at the very least a personality disorder or three. Thats the scary kind of crazy. When you ramp up that kind of crazy you end of with the Zur-En-Arrh nuttiness. You know, running around in a wacky costume beating people up with a blunt weapon.

And since when is Batman one to follow trends?
    I'm pretty sure a case could be made for Batman having antisocial personality disorder. He's not insane, but he's not 100% mentally sound either.