Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I agree with most, I don't mind the dark and violent Batman. The only thing wrong with this is the fact that you really can't have a "dark" Batman and a Batman "who doesn't kill" at the same time. I mean where is the line drawn and what's the difference between beating someone senseless and killing them?

Quote Originally Posted by Breadfan View Post
    I agree with most, I don't mind the dark and violent Batman. The only thing wrong with this is the fact that you really can't have a "dark" Batman and a Batman "who doesn't kill" at the same time. I mean where is the line drawn and what's the difference between beating someone senseless and killing them?
    This is my main issue with the whole 'I don't kill' thing - if you're brutally kicking someone's ass you're going to break bones and potentially seriously maim someone, ending their life as they know it. As a writer that dabbles in Batman I have him kill people occasionally, making sure to cover his tracks tho so that he keeps up the 'one rule' charade.

Honestly though, I would prefer an intelligent detective Batman to a dark soldier Batman. I think that side of him is often ignored.

I don't mind that he breaks bones and other things in fight where's he defending himself and the wounds can (eventually) heal; sometimes, I realize that can't be avoided.

But in this scene, the level of maiming didn't really seem necessary . . . I would think he could have knocked the blast in another direction that wouldn't wind up maiming a thug who we don't know how much physical harm he's ever really caused anyone prior to this.

(And the total violence (and lack of plot) in Batman and Robin 7 last month also seemed pretty bad. And stupid.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by booyah View Post
    Honestly though, I would prefer an intelligent detective Batman to a dark soldier Batman. I think that side of him is often ignored.
    Not often ignored, it's been basically absent, with the exception of Dick Grayson's detective work in Morrison's Batman and Robin. I would love for a modern-pulp detective type of stories in Detective Comics.

Because usaully batman isn't hurting someone so much as to disable them forever. He may give you some broken bones but nothing you wouldnt eventually heal from. There is a world of difference between that and killing someone.

It's not that extreme. Compare it to some of the Avatar stuff like Crossed and Ferals that is just being gross and vulgar for the shock value and the Batman titles are tame in comparison. Batman titles have the right amount of violence.

No.

If anything he should more dark and violent.
    "Citizen Kane clearly isn't the greatest movie ever made for one simple reason: The Predator wasn't in it."

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It comes and goes in cycles so I'm not bothered by it too much.
    This. I don't see the problem with the amount of violence in the stories right now.

The only way Batman can be too dark and violent is if he starts killing people or turns into a lemonade chugging, rat eating psycho. Hes Batman, hes not supposed to be sweet and cuddly or even nice. I don't get why people keep wanting Batman to be nice and smiley, thats what other heroes are for.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    The only way Batman can be too dark and violent is if he starts killing people or turns into a lemonade chugging, rat eating psycho. Hes Batman, hes not supposed to be sweet and cuddly or even nice. I don't get why people keep wanting Batman to be nice and smiley, thats what other heroes are for.
    The problem with making Batman too dark is that he's a children's superhero, and it just reinforces the idea that comics books are for the immature manchild.

Did Hal in JL just said Batman is so cuddly?

[QUOTE=Mr. Holmes;14975823]The problem with making Batman too dark is that he's a children's superhero, and it just reinforces the idea that comics books are for the immature manchild.[quote]

People who think that probably wouldn't change their minds if the content was lighter.

I don't want Batman to turn into Simone's Batgirl.

But he can go about his business without as much willingness to inflict permanent harm as he seems to do so casually these days.

Batman should cause fear in criminals, but not necessarily to the total population. Good, honest people shouldn't have to fear him. And criminals should have a chance to learn from their mistakes if they're the low-level type (as opposed to the killers).

a nasty piece of work Let's Kill Hitler's Avatar

I think there's a certain point where Batman is so violent that it doesn't if he's not killing; if he puts someone in a wheel chair for life is that so much better?

I have mixed feelings about Morrisons Batman run, but I think this is something I did like about his charisation of Bruce, he never felt psychotic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Morlock50 View Post
    People who think that probably wouldn't change their minds if the content was lighter.
    They'd have more reason to for sure.