Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 110
  1. #31
    Marquis de carabas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Belgium.
    Posts
    31,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flash's Lightning View Post
    As I've said many times, even if Superman lost every power he has, even if he was left as ordinary as a human being, he'd still find a way to defeat any other criminal or villain. Superman's power has always been his ingenuity and heart; his belief that one man can make a difference, and that you should stand up for what's right.

    So no, I don't think he needs more powers.
    But despite all that, for some reason DC has turned him time and again into the guy who gets new powers at the drop of a hat and exponentially expands the powers he already has until the character becomes so powerful he needs to be rebooted.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

  2. #32
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfirexl View Post
    While I applaud your love of Superman I must disagree with you, it takes more than heart to win a battle especially against any of Superman's villains.

    Doomsday: Clark was forced to give it his all, and still ended up dying while Doomsday lived on. More power would of even that battle out.

    Darkseid: Heart does not work against the God of Evil, he destroys anything wholesome and decent and Superman has never truly ever been able to defeat him, except for Final Crisis which was ridiculous.

    Lex Luthor: Not matter how often Clark tries the high road or tries to be the better man, Luthor always finds someway to get under his skin, and push him a little farther.

    Those are just three examples of villains a powerless Clark Kent would be useless against, I agree that John Henry would fair well but he would need his Armor.

    I get what you are trying to say I really do and i respect it, but when you think about it for a little bit it sounds a little hokey. Like defeating a villain using the power of friendship.

    Also Kara has managed to grasp what being a hero is in a shorter time than Clark, she fought four impossible foes in order to protect beings she has had no positive reaction with, beings who would dissect her rather than help her, she doesnt even understand them yet she is willing to die for them. If that doesnt prove that she is a true hero than I dont know what will.
    And yet Superman has been depowered multiple times and done fine; in fact, when Busiek did his most recent Action Comics run, it focused on him taking down a powerful alien entity with his heart and ingenuity.

    Kara will one day understand what it is to be a hero, but right now she's confused and conflicted and needs to sort things out. She is thinking more of herself right now than others. When that day arrives, when she does start looking outside herself, she will begin going down the road of a hero. Right now she just isn't there; especially since she was just set back to zero.

    Doomsday; an unpowered Clark fought the collector/auctioneer whatever his name was in Busiek's run. Would you say the collector is more or less powerful that Doomsday? I think you are confusing "raw strength" with the ability to defeat the other person. Clark would find a way to get it done, whatever means were necessary. (That's where the ingenuity part comes in.)

    Darkseid; Batman had Darkseid by the balls in Superman/Batman. Does Batman have powers now?

    Lex Luthor; please read Busiek's Up, Up, and Away for powerless Clark vs. Luthor
    Last edited by Flash's Lightning; 04-10-2012 at 02:25 AM.

  3. #33
    Power, Unlimited Power MythicBrawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flash's Lightning View Post
    And yet Superman has been depowered multiple times and done fine; in fact, when Busiek did his most recent Action Comics run, it focused on him taking down a powerful alien entity with his heart and ingenuity.
    I don't read Superman comics to read about a powerless Superman. If I want to read about someone facing insurmountable odds and overcoming with heart and ingenuity, I'll read Batman or any other book with non-powered heroes. Personally, I don't like power-loss stories because a major aspect of the book has been removed. A de-powered Clark being put in a situation where he has to save his own life or others is one thing, but for him to actively go looking for trouble is suicide. And, how long will I have to read manufactured/contrived stories where de-powered Clark shows his ingenuity, when what I really want to read is interesting Superman stories?

    To the original point, Superman doesn't need new powers. He has plenty. If anything, he has too many.
    Last edited by MythicBrawn; 04-10-2012 at 07:50 AM.

  4. #34
    The Last One to Fall Dragonfirexl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flash's Lightning View Post
    And yet Superman has been depowered multiple times and done fine; in fact, when Busiek did his most recent Action Comics run, it focused on him taking down a powerful alien entity with his heart and ingenuity.

    Kara will one day understand what it is to be a hero, but right now she's confused and conflicted and needs to sort things out. She is thinking more of herself right now than others. When that day arrives, when she does start looking outside herself, she will begin going down the road of a hero. Right now she just isn't there; especially since she was just set back to zero.

    Doomsday; an unpowered Clark fought the collector/auctioneer whatever his name was in Busiek's run. Would you say the collector is more or less powerful that Doomsday? I think you are confusing "raw strength" with the ability to defeat the other person. Clark would find a way to get it done, whatever means were necessary. (That's where the ingenuity part comes in.)

    Darkseid; Batman had Darkseid by the balls in Superman/Batman. Does Batman have powers now?

    Lex Luthor; please read Busiek's Up, Up, and Away for powerless Clark vs. Luthor
    Dont know whether or not your are reading the current Supergirl arc but she is not putting herself before anyone, during the second issue she gets into a fight with Superman but stops immediately when she realizes she is destroying peoples homes, third issus this guy risked his life to save her and when he was killed she became enraged, she finally made it back to the remnant of her planet but gave it all up to return to Earth to stop the World Killers, and during her fight with the World Killers she was outmatched on every level but refused to give up in fear of what would happen to the people on New York. So before you talk about her read her book.

    Cmon really a powerless Clark has no way of defeating Doomsday there is no tech or weapon that he has that could get the job done.

    Clark is not Batman, Batman was going to destroy an entire planet to win; Darkseid even said that Superman would not have it in him to pull this off.

    My point is that heart only gets you so far, Clark has little to no fighting skills that are not backed by superstrength, maybe he could stand against villains like Metallo or Toyman but none of his Big time bad guys. Becuase without his superpowers there is no SUPERman just a MAN and then he would of never become a hero in the first place.
    Last edited by Dragonfirexl; 04-10-2012 at 07:01 PM.
    Once more into the fray,
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day,
    Live and die on this day.

  5. #35
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    221B Baker Street
    Posts
    18,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flash's Lightning View Post
    Darkseid; Batman had Darkseid by the balls in Superman/Batman. Does Batman have powers now?
    Even after what Batman did, Darkseid would have dragged reality with him to oblivion if it weren't for Superman's powers.

  6. #36

    Default

    I really get sick of all the gushing people do over Batman because he has no powers. It's always the same old argument "Batman is better than Superman because he has no powers". It's almost as if it's an argument that having superpowers at all is silly and stupid and the only characters of worth are the badass normals.

  7. #37
    Power, Unlimited Power MythicBrawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Last Son View Post
    I really get sick of all the gushing people do over Batman because he has no powers. It's always the same old argument "Batman is better than Superman because he has no powers". It's almost as if it's an argument that having superpowers at all is silly and stupid and the only characters of worth are the badass normals.
    What I get sick of is "Batman can beat anybody with preparation". That logic could pretty much apply to anyone with smarts and that plans well. It seems to imply that the opponent doesn't plan at all. I know, I know, Batman is so smart that he has an uncountable amount of contingency plans for any situation and that what makes him so awesome. Whatever.

  8. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Frozen Reptile View Post
    The man already rocks, what does he need more powers for?
    Maybe so he could surpass the likes of the Anti-Monitor, get revenge on Doomsday and Darkseid for killing him so many times and maybe even join the class of The Spectre and the Living Tribunal.

    Only The-One-Above-All and the Presence can beat Living Tribunal since they are both omni-capable and there is no such thing as more omni-capable than already being omni-capable. There is no one above them because "both" of them can already do everything that is simply imaginable or dreamable.

    http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=Omnicapable
    Last edited by computer man; 04-12-2012 at 06:40 AM.

  9. #39
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainzo View Post
    Or maybe he can also have the powers he had as Superman blue. Or some powers he had in All star Superman. I just think that if they could give superboy his TTK and give extra powers to Kara, then why the hell should superman be the only one left out
    Superboy is a special case insofar that he originally wasn't a clone of Superman and hence had none of his powers, only faked them with his own. But thanks to Geoff Johns fixing what didn't need repairing and the reboot, we have a character, who doesn't even make much sense conception-wise.

    I do agree that Supergirl shouldn't have extra powers, that Superman doesn't possess. But it is early in the run, maybe there is a special reason for her extra ability and it will be dealt with.

  10. #40
    THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    5,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    But despite all that, for some reason DC has turned him time and again into the guy who gets new powers at the drop of a hat and exponentially expands the powers he already has until the character becomes so powerful he needs to be rebooted.
    Quoted for truth.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

  11. #41
    ..for whom the bell tolls The Frozen Reptile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Gatineau, Québec
    Posts
    913

    Default

    [QUOTE=Grendel01;14998751 I do agree that Supergirl shouldn't have extra powers, that Superman doesn't possess. But it is early in the run, maybe there is a special reason for her extra ability and it will be dealt with.[/QUOTE]

    I must have missed something, what extra power does Kara have?
    "Make yourself comfortable, I haven’t time to attend to it." - With these words, a legend was born.

  12. #42
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Frozen Reptile View Post
    I must have missed something, what extra power does Kara have?
    She can emit heat via her entire body and she powered instantly up, after landing on Earth.

    Of course, by now the latter has been explained with that her ship closely orbited around the sun for years perhaps even decades(the Collectors sensors registered her ship when he attacked Earth five years ago), meaning that she was exposed to much stronger radiation from the sun than Superman on Earth. And her additional power could be the result of Zor-El experimenting with her genetic structure. We don't know exactly for what purpose, but it could be linked to Reign and the other Worlddestroyers.

  13. #43
    Junior Member Rainzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    453

    Default

    I guess we've all seen Superman vs the Elite. Who remembers the scene where The Atomic Skull grabs Superman and Superman uses his super scream to break free? That was really cool IMO. I never thought he could use that power in a situation like that. If they can write a "resourceful" Superman, one who knows he has so many powers and uses them well, then I'm on board. I mean all he does is punch and heat vision. This guy is almost as fast as the flash! He should be fighting at great speeds! He should learn to combine his powers effectively. In an interview, Lobdell said he wants a Superman that gets to use his powers effectively. I hope he gives us that.

    All in all, seeing the difficulty writers are having with the powers he has now, maybe he doesn't need a new power..not now. But with Lobdell, expect anything and everything!

    Wild though: I imagine Superman picking up a new ability from the H'el crossover...maybe TTk..maybe something from H'el...just a wild thought.

  14. #44
    Senior Member Coyote2010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainzo View Post
    In the cover page of superman #8, we see what looks like superman being taken over by Helspont. What if after he gains self control (That's if helspont gets to control him in #8), he gains some of Helspont's powers in the process? I think it would be cool for him to have an extra power other than xray vision, heat vision, strength and ice breath..almost every big gun has those powers.
    I think with all his basic powers, his mind, his speed, his strength, and his vision, Superman can work around time and space in ways that basically equal any super power you can imagne.

    I just read a Supergirl adventure where she guided the delivery of pizzas with her super vision, and super breath.

    It was essentially telekinesis.

  15. #45
    Senior Member Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainzo View Post
    I guess we've all seen Superman vs the Elite. Who remembers the scene where The Atomic Skull grabs Superman and Superman uses his super scream to break free? That was really cool IMO. I never thought he could use that power in a situation like that. If they can write a "resourceful" Superman, one who knows he has so many powers and uses them well, then I'm on board. I mean all he does is punch and heat vision. This guy is almost as fast as the flash! He should be fighting at great speeds! He should learn to combine his powers effectively. In an interview, Lobdell said he wants a Superman that gets to use his powers effectively. I hope he gives us that.

    All in all, seeing the difficulty writers are having with the powers he has now, maybe he doesn't need a new power..not now. But with Lobdell, expect anything and everything!

    Wild though: I imagine Superman picking up a new ability from the H'el crossover...maybe TTk..maybe something from H'el...just a wild thought.
    Could you post a link for the interview?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •