Default Word of Darkness MMO

After I finally escaped/quit World of Warcraft, I promised myself that I'd never allow myself to get hooked to another MMO again. But this game is going to be mighty temping to play. And it looks interesting since it probably won't be your typical "lets go kill some monsters" kind of RPG. I think it's pretty awesome that PC's can become Princes of different cities.

http://penny-arcade.com/report/edito...ities-and-huma
    Read my fairy tale webcomic, The Fox & The Firebird, at: http://www.fairytaletwisted.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marie August View Post
    After I finally escaped/quit World of Warcraft, I promised myself that I'd never allow myself to get hooked to another MMO again. But this game is going to be mighty temping to play. And it looks interesting since it probably won't be your typical "lets go kill some monsters" kind of RPG. I think it's pretty awesome that PC's can become Princes of different cities.

http://penny-arcade.com/report/edito...ities-and-huma
    Hrmm. Granted the game's nowhere near beta, so odds are a lot of what they're saying they want to implement -now- and what actually ends up in the game will be completely different, but this sounds wwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy too PVP centered for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by G. Wayne View Post
    Hrmm. Granted the game's nowhere near beta, so odds are a lot of what they're saying they want to implement -now- and what actually ends up in the game will be completely different, but this sounds wwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy too PVP centered for my liking.
    which is exactly WHY i wanna try it.

As someone who played Eve Online, and you guys might disageee with this because it's what you want, CCP is incapable of making a popular mmo.
    It will have little explination of how to play, it will be horribly unfriendly to new people, and in the span of a year you won't be able to join the game if you can't get into a large group of players who already run the game.

It's been CCP's greatest strength and weakness, they can make a game that appeals to an incredibly small group of hardcore players. And from everything they have said they aren't dropping that model.
    Also, the fact that they slashed the development team on the game doesn't bode well for it's completion.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    As someone who played Eve Online, and you guys might disageee with this because it's what you want, CCP is incapable of making a popular mmo.
    It will have little explination of how to play, it will be horribly unfriendly to new people, and in the span of a year you won't be able to join the game if you can't get into a large group of players who already run the game.

It's been CCP's greatest strength and weakness, they can make a game that appeals to an incredibly small group of hardcore players. And from everything they have said they aren't dropping that model.
    Also, the fact that they slashed the development team on the game doesn't bode well for it's completion.
    Which is sad, I think. There's been a pretty devoted, if small, WoD fanbase in City of Heroes for years. And a ground based Eve Online is the last thing any of them are looking for in an official WoD MMO.

Every gameplay system has it's min/maxers, but that seems to be strictly who the Devs here are aiming for.

Permadeath really interests me. I haven't played a MMO for more than 3 months since WoW and I only played that for 6 months. This could get players that are burnt out on MMO's.
    “When ambition ends, happiness begins.” Thomas Merton

Which is sad, I think. There's been a pretty devoted, if small, WoD fanbase in City of Heroes for years. And a ground based Eve Online is the last thing any of them are looking for in an official WoD MMO.

Every gameplay system has it's min/maxers, but that seems to be strictly who the Devs here are aiming for.
    I think CCP's issue is, Eve is profitable, it's not huge, but they have developed a game that actively encourages people to pay for 2, 3 or 7 accounts. So, when you have multiple people paying almost 100 bucks a month to play, you don't need a lot of subscribers.
    And here's another thing about Eve a lot of people don't know. Theres a thing called PLEX, 1 plex is 15 bucks, it gives you 30 days of game time. You can, however, buy plex and sell it in game, so people who need money in game can just go buy 2 plex and sell them in game for 900 mil or so. It's completly wrecked the games economy, but they encourage it.
    Eve also has little to do with skill. If you want to train a skill to 5, for example, it will take you a month or longer. Doesn't matter how good you play or what you do, you have to wait an entire month to train that skill, completly passively, just waiting.
    This is the company who is making the WOD mmo. Their only successful game is purposely directed at endgame players and actively encourages spending real money to be better at their game.

And since they know every mmo not named WoW is a niche game, they try to eek out as much money as possible. It's not a bad business model in theory, but it is bad if you are looking for an awesome, fun game.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I think CCP's issue is, Eve is profitable, it's not huge, but they have developed a game that actively encourages people to pay for 2, 3 or 7 accounts. So, when you have multiple people paying almost 100 bucks a month to play, you don't need a lot of subscribers.
    And here's another thing about Eve a lot of people don't know. Theres a thing called PLEX, 1 plex is 15 bucks, it gives you 30 days of game time. You can, however, buy plex and sell it in game, so people who need money in game can just go buy 2 plex and sell them in game for 900 mil or so. It's completly wrecked the games economy, but they encourage it.
    Eve also has little to do with skill. If you want to train a skill to 5, for example, it will take you a month or longer. Doesn't matter how good you play or what you do, you have to wait an entire month to train that skill, completly passively, just waiting.
    This is the company who is making the WOD mmo. Their only successful game is purposely directed at endgame players and actively encourages spending real money to be better at their game.

And since they know every mmo not named WoW is a niche game, they try to eek out as much money as possible. It's not a bad business model in theory, but it is bad if you are looking for an awesome, fun game.
    I getcha, I've just met more WoD fans who lean more towards RPing than l00t and endgame content. Not saying WoD doesn't have it's share of Celerity and Generation abusing @##$%^&*, but CCP sure does seem to be aiming for them more than the WoD fans who, y'know, actually like the World of Darkness setting.

I getcha, I've just met more WoD fans who lean more towards RPing than l00t and endgame content. Not saying WoD doesn't have it's share of Celerity and Generation abusing @##$%^&*, but CCP sure does seem to be aiming for them more than the WoD fans who, y'know, actually like the World of Darkness setting.
    Have they announced multiple servers?
    If there are, i could see one server becoming an rp server just by self segregation.
    I believe COH has some unnofficial rp server.

I read in an article that the developers wanted one server with many cities and that each city will "have a prince who will most likely be the player who is best in PVP" I immediately lost interest. Vampire the masquerade is supposed to be about mortal and vampire society influence and not about who can shove thier fist furthest down another vampires chest with potence, protein claws and celerity.

I'm staying away from this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeskies View Post
    I read in an article that the developers wanted one server with many cities and that each city will "have a prince who will most likely be the player who is best in PVP" I immediately lost interest. Vampire the masquerade is supposed to be about mortal and vampire society influence and not about who can shove thier fist furthest down another vampires chest with potence, protein claws and celerity.

I'm staying away from this one.
    Yeah, sounds exactly like Eve.
    Except one player who is best at pvp means one player who has the biggest (insert whatever they are calling guild) to keep him in power.
    Again, this sort of design can be fun if you are apart of the elite, but the game is mostly worthless to anyone who isn't that group and all new players. I've never understand mmo design that is purposely unfriendly to new players.