Page 251 of 668 FirstFirst ... 151201241247248249250251252253254255261301351 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,765 of 10008

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    You also say he's blunt which, again, contradicts the notion of him relying on sarcasm or humour to veil his emotions. Can you even be blunt while being emotionally distant? Surely that's a kind of contradiction in terms.
    It's entirely possible to be blunt while emotionally distant. Being blunt is just about getting straight to the point without bothering about being polite and such.

That said, being blunt while being sarcastic and/or darkly humorous is...not all that possible.
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.

Okay, commencing dissection...

Already you're flashing up danger signs to me by saying he's created his own style of kung fu. Such a thing isn't really possible now with the prevalence of cross-training and mixed martial arts. I think you mean he's a user of multiple martial arts style, he hasn't created his own codified style because, honestly, what would be the point?

Dear god. He forged a special sword that is black and made of unknown metals and is the best blade ever.

I'm sorry, did this guy wander in from Conan or something?

Also, see my earlier references with regards to the "unique fighting style," bit.

Hitting the anime character clichés pretty hard seems to be a running theme here.

Yep, those clichés seem to be getting hit pretty hard here.

Okay, from a basic level, leaving aside how completely played out the whole stoic warrior/samurai in a different age thing is, this backstory seems pretty cluttered. You have no less than three backstory elements that would be sufficient to create a decent character; the whole warrior raised in seclusion thing, the mysterious accident thing and the murdered parents letter thing. Having all three just feels really busy. I would advise you to streamline his background because it feels way busy right now and kind of contrived to boot.

So... you've got kind of a conflicting thing going on with his reading Hagakure and the presentation of him as a noble and honourable samurai type guy and then you have this bit about him only ever showing dark humour or sarcasm. Hagakure kind makes a really big deal about how it is good an honourable to honest and polite at all times, regardless of whom you are facing. I find it hard to get behind the notion of someone who essentially lives by this book being sarcastic or using macabre humour, it's just not what Hagakure is about. You also say he's blunt which, again, contradicts the notion of him relying on sarcasm or humour to veil his emotions. Can you even be blunt while being emotionally distant? Surely that's a kind of contradiction in terms.

Second; you have this female character who apparently meant the world to him but you haven't even given her a name. That's just... kind of sloppy I guess? Also, it seems weird that this doesn't seem to have effected him all that much due to him being distracted by the whole avenge my parents thing.

Third; How do you grow up in the outskirts of Sector 8 in isolation from everything else? Assuming that Eden moves out from Sector 1, no matter how you envisage the make up of the Sectors, 8 is always going to kind of be slap bang in the middle of it. This is a city that's inside a constantly expanding bubble, there is no "outskirts," because the edge of the city is always exactly defined by how much of the blasted wasteland outside has been reclaimed. You need to explain this better and come with a better explanation as to how he grew up in near isolation than just "because," Also it is here you mentioned him learning to shoot. I'm assuming you mean laser weapons because chemical weapons like conventional firearms are banned in Eden.

You don't give us any real background into who his parents were or why they might have been killed so it just feels like an attempt to inject needless drama into a very weak character.

So... here's the thing, did you see what I said in Wyld's character analysis? That his character wasn't just another stoic warrior motivated by revenge and how that was really played out? That is exactly what you have done here.

I don't think this is necessarily a bad character. However, since I know nothing about how good a writer you are beyond this bio you might be perfectly capable of writing this very well, I can only say that you have done yourself no favours with this premise. This character is essentially two dimensional, made of clichés and has very little material to him that engages me.

You could write the whole anachronistic samurai thing in Eden pretty well, it'd be an interesting area to explore how moral values have shifted in a thousand years and it would provide a lot of fun and simple conflict with other characters. So... by all means stick with this, but I would recommend you take a good hard look at what you've created here before continuing.
    You're great at these, you know that?

You should do one for me.

Or have you already?

*goes to check*
    ~Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste. I've been around for a long, long, year, stole many a man's soul and faith.

So if you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and some taste. Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste.

I made Miburo cry on his birthday.

Reached Demon-God Status

My Cat Is Afraid of the Vacuum Cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Chrosis--you are a GOD!:D
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretch Dude View Post
    Curses! CURRRRSEEEEESSSS!!!

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chrosis View Post

Or have you already?

*goes to check*
    Thank you, I like to think I've got a good mind for character analysis.

I don't think I've done one for you... I could do one now if you'd like.
    Nik Hasta: "I'm not a ninja dammit!"

Respect the Mamudo Children!
    Follow me on Tumblr!

Slaughter Swamp, I seen't Grundy, I seen't him!

Quote Originally Posted by Chrosis View Post

Or have you already?

*goes to check*
    he already did Chrosis

I thnk you were like the first he did
    they label me a villain cause of how I express my feelings

Chilling out at the center of the Solar System

Yeah, your dissection makes for a good read as well as providing food for thought.

And those aren't even my characters, or even, in some cases, characters whose bio I had read before your analysis.
    Last edited by Sol M; 05-09-2012 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    he already did Chrosis

I thnk you were like the first he did
    Your memory is better than mine clearly. I don't even remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol M View Post
    Yeah, your dissection makes for a good read as well as providing food for thought.

And those aren't even my characters, or even, in some cases, characters whose bio I had read before your analysis.
    Glad I am providing interesting points of view to the community.

Follow me on Tumblr!

Your memory is better than mine clearly. I don't even remember.

Glad I am providing interesting points of view to the community.
    My mental game is top notch broseph

no one can mess wittt meeeeeeeee

I don't think I've done one for you... I could do one now if you'd like.
    Lord have mercy. You're pretty damn good at this.

And looking at what you've pointed out. It's obvious I need to make some changes
    Armored Frame Division #27: Starlancer Flight - Roland Vance Xel'Tais

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    My mental game is top notch broseph

no one can mess wittt meeeeeeeee
    Only Pete is superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'yleh View Post
    Lord have mercy. You're pretty damn good at this.

And looking at what you've pointed out. It's obvious I need to make some changes
    I'm glad I didn't come across as unnecessarily harsh. I have been told that I can be quite crushing if I'm not careful. I hope these changes will produce something really good! :D

Follow me on Tumblr!

Not sure how rich you could become being a sword maker though, especially one based in Sector 13. Rich people aren't going to buy your swords because you're from the other side of the tracks.
    Actually, I doubt the upper class cares who make their swords - what they'll care about is having the best. If these swords are the best in the city, then he's going to be able to charge appropriately. Besides, its not like any of the city factories are going to be located in Sector 1 - all actual production will still be done in the industrial areas by working class people living in the poorer sectors, while the rich people just own the companies. Only this company happens to be owned by a guy who somehow managed to work himself up on sheer entrepreneurship, and for whatever reason hasn't bothered to move to the fancy part of town.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    It's entirely possible to be blunt while emotionally distant. Being blunt is just about getting straight to the point without bothering about being polite and such.

That said, being blunt while being sarcastic and/or darkly humorous is...not all that possible.
    Hold on. How is "being sarkastic" and "being straight to the point without bothering with politeness" mutually exclusive? I'm pretty sure I've seen those two used at the same time.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

Only Pete is superior.

I'm glad I didn't come across as unnecessarily harsh. I have been told that I can be quite crushing if I'm not careful. I hope these changes will produce something really good! :D
    this is true and I do not deny it

Pete is next level

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Hold on. How is "being sarkastic" and "being straight to the point without bothering with politeness" mutually exclusive? I'm pretty sure I've seen those two used at the same time.
    Sarcasm, as I understand it, is used to mock people, usually with a statement that frames their opinion in a way that seems ridiculous.
    While sarcasm is rarely polite and usually leads to a fairly obvious conclusion, it doesn't do it by directly stating a fact.

For example:
    A is trying to open a mysterious door. B thinks this is stupid.

Sarcasm:
    "I'm sure nothing wrong can come from opening a door that might lead to something that will kill us all."

Blunt:
    "Opening that door is a stupid idea."
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.

Not at all You were to the point, and pointed out things I had completely overlooked. It was needed.
    Armored Frame Division #27: Starlancer Flight - Roland Vance Xel'Tais

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell's Brigade's Avatar

If you want to Nik, you can examine my NPC's as well. I know several are bare bones, but have at them if you wish.
    Black Knight of SO
    Co-COTM for Feb 2006
    The Midnight Rider.
    Owner of SO's W/I Shop.
    Bearer of the Rumbles Matrix of Leadership

Wins on CBR