Page 168 of 668 FirstFirst ... 68118158164165166167168169170171172178218268 ... LastLast
Results 2,506 to 2,520 of 10008
    Archnemesis of Reason FarBeyondC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain England View Post
    What the F is wrong with SHR? We've had like one fatality in Codex that wasn't self defense. And that was plot mandated. And didn't take.
    Nothing, aside from the Infinity Man thing I heard about. Deaths do not necessarily make something wrong. Not even in the real world. No one ever dying is an abomination that needs to die in all of fiction. Seriously, that shit is annoying outside of a 'kids' game, and all 'kids' games are crap for that (and other) reasons.
    "That which does not grow falls into decay."

Utopia - Tetra Eisengard
    Lockdown - Kalak Fenras

Quote Originally Posted by FarBeyondC View Post
    Nothing, aside from the Infinity Man thing I heard about. Deaths do not necessarily make something wrong. Not even in the real world. No one ever dying is an abomination that needs to die in all of fiction. Seriously, that shit is annoying outside of a 'kids' game, and all 'kids' games are crap for that (and other) reasons.
    Eh. I don't think a couple of well-written deaths make a story worse, but it's still sad when good characters go and I absolutely don't consider it a neccessity. If one can get away with nobody biting the dust, I see no reason not to. Just, a lot of stories can't be told that way, which is fair enough for me.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

Anyone who died in SHR--Not counting the endgame 'where are they now' post game recaps--did so by choice.

By which I mean PC's, or NPC's you have made yourself, or whatever.

Hell, in both games, more or less the vast majority of people killed got better. Unless the writer felt they should not.

If someone is dead in the actual games themselves, it was because it was a choice that their writer made.

And really, I don't see the problem with people dying in a game where we all wade into mortal combat to kill the shit out of things.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Live, I will kill you, If I Die, You are forgiven." Such is the Rule of Honor.

Chilling out at the center of the Solar System

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Eh. I don't think a couple of well-written deaths make a story worse, but it's still sad when good characters go and I absolutely don't consider it a neccessity. If one can get away with nobody biting the dust, I see no reason not to. Just, a lot of stories can't be told that way, which is fair enough for me.
    Besides, deaths for the sake of having deaths is just fail.

That being said, stuff like Jason committing genocide was neither inevitable, nor forced. It was a specific choice made by the character and presented as his solution to what was indeed a pressing problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Miburohunter929 View Post
    And really, I don't see the problem with people dying in a game where we all wade into mortal combat to kill the shit out of things.
    There is this as well.

I mean, really, the only reason the main characters aren't dying is because they're PC's.

Come to think about it, I can't even think of an actual good guy who died and stayed dead during the games.

I mean, okay, maybe Xing. That's about it.

I mean, yes. People died during the transition from SHR1-SHR2, and not always of natural causes, and well, but given there is like a 300 year timeskip, it still would have ended with most of the cast dying, so eh.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Live, I will kill you, If I Die, You are forgiven." Such is the Rule of Honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Chou Blaster View Post
    Xing always seemed to be off when I saw him (RPG character wise/stuff.) I sadly wish I could have finished SHR1, just to see what would have happen.
    He was off.

He was more or less a clone made by a dick, who then proceeded to manipulate Xing into stealing the ring to fix his defectiveness--Said defectiveness would kill Xing very soon--and Xing did not handle the whole "Impending death and clone" thing with much grace.

Thus, him going insane and willing to kill as many motherfuckers as it took until he regained his sanity, and died well.

..Him and Dean never canonically made amends, since Xing went to travel and die shortly after the endgame.

But, him and Xings other half might have.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol M View Post

That being said, stuff like Jason committing genocide was neither inevitable, nor forced. It was a specific choice made by the character and presented as his solution to what was indeed a pressing problem.

There is this as well.

I mean, really, the only reason the main characters aren't dying is because they're PC's.
    Ok, I probably should have added ", even when keeping the person alive makes no sense or feels cheap" to "No one ever dying." Like so:

No one ever dying, even when keeping the person alive makes no sense or feels cheap, is an abomination that needs to die in all of fiction.

But I'll still stand by my original statement, especially since I'm still annoyed by the double fake-out that happened in something I finished watching recently.

Essentially, my ideas on what a good story should work like is picking on what I know a mass-participation interactive event's purpose is.

Utopia - Tetra Eisengard
    Lockdown - Kalak Fenras

My thoughts on people living and dying depends completely on the fiction.

Regardless, I certainly wouldn't object to one death, out of a massive, massive cast, unless it was shittly done, or something else that offends my delicate sensibilities.

I won't necessarily be pleased, but someone dying in and of itself is hardly nightmare syndrome for me.

Ok, I probably should have added ", even when keeping the person alive makes no sense or feels cheap" to "No one ever dying." Like so:

No one ever dying, even when keeping the person alive makes no sense or feels cheap, is an abomination that needs to die in all of fiction.
    Well, I dunno... I mean, it's bad writing but calling it an "abomination" is a bit much.

If it bothers me, it's because I feel it could have been done better, in a way that does make sense and doesn't feel cheap. But it's still better then characters I like dying just because.

But I'll still stand by my original statement, especially since I'm still annoyed by the double fake-out that happened in something I finished watching recently.
    Oh please. That was totally awesome and you know it.
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

Well, I dunno... I mean, it's bad writing but calling it an "abomination" is a bit much.

If it bothers me, it's because I feel it could have been done better, in a way that does make sense and doesn't feel cheap. But it's still better then characters I like dying just because.

Oh please. That was totally awesome and you know it.
    The first one could be seen as awesome (I don't feel it was), because there was an event that potentially made it so. The second one was completely unfair.

Also, in my search pics worthy of Iriesia, I am currently disappointed.

The best I found so far is the following:

and it still doesn't feel quite right.

Utopia - Tetra Eisengard
    Lockdown - Kalak Fenras

What's Best For Business Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

The first one could be seen as awesome (I don't feel it was), because there was an event that potentially made it so. The second one was completely unfair.

Ramilia approves.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol M View Post

There is this as well.

Actually, Jason's genocide was completely justified warfare. No, I am not kidding.

The Solarians were not a group or polity. They were shells, eaten from the inside out by a Fallen Angel. Said Fallen Angel then used them exclusively to wage war on innocent people, killing (IIRC) billions of civilians for absolutely no reason. I believe Alice even asked if they could be saved, and the only surviving member of the race assured us that they couldn't. It was not genocide in the normal term, it was destroying a single sentient entity who had not ceased being a threat and was not restrainible. People go way too much into that.

Heck, Legion didn't even cease to exist from it! SHR has an afterlife. The PCs knew this concretely, they had a talking fox who came back from there, and significant information from Charlie Tyme.

Nothing in Jason's actions in the Solarian War failed to meet the criteria of the Just War Theory. His actions were not a war crime. It was an act of war, on the behalf of a shattered planet.

Jason was at the very least a quite awful person, and more generally he just wasn't very likable, but wiping out the Solarians wasn't even a bad thing.

On the other hand, if I recall right, Dory/Dee randomly decided to massacre a group of aliens whom Gil had "married" into.
    Quote of the Month
    “Did you know that YuruYuri isn't a manga about explosions?! If it were, it would be a school life manga, but better!”
    - Nana Nishigaki, YuruYuri

Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    On the other hand, if I recall right, Dory/Dee randomly decided to massacre a group of aliens whom Gil had "married" into.
    It's marginally more complicated I suppose, but...yeah.

Gil still hasn't forgiven her for that.

...With all these busty girls around, Eisen is going to develop a serious complex. oO

Or rather, she would if she knew anything at all about sex appeal.

Pettanko represent, yo.
    -Homer Simpson

-Homestuck